1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brianG

brianG Senior member

The X probably signifies that the belt is a factory 2nd.

2. brianG

brianG Senior member

The X probably signifies that the belt is a factory 2nd.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Typically the TJ Maxx Coach surcingles have the X stamp.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  4. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

The double breasted Burstow & Logsdail suit I found a while back was way more badass (*cough* ebay *cough*), but that firm doesn't seem to have the same level of name cachet as Poole.

5. tben

tben Senior member

You seem to have an assortment of random clothing knowledge that I seriously appreciate. Thank you for posting here.

6. elev8rz

elev8rz Senior member

Thank you, gents.

7. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Sorry if this is a repeat post but apparently our thrift muse ryan macklemore has sold out, doing a Nordstrom wedding video advert. Yeah that's the man himself.

ANd his own song.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

GUess that excludes him from what looks to be an awesome thrift formalwear thread (all I have is the j. press shirt and I keep looking and looking!!!! but if I eventually build a tux-y thing i'll poast)

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Headed out. Wish me luck. Hope to hit 2-3 stores before my night job. Today's fit. Spring has apparently exploded onto my fit. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Deets: Samuelsohn suit from Dex (dual vented at the back) Eton shirt, also from Dex I believe vintage untipped tie made for a local menswear shop Unknown sq, hand rolled Trafalgar belt from Spoo Florsheim Royal Imperials from Easy CHET: I had a robo pose, I assure you, since this one I actually paid to get tailored. But it accidentally got deleted. Looked pretty damn good too, dammit!
    In other news, I did a rigorous regression analysis with multiple Taylor polynomials and Monte Carlo modeling analysis. It turns out I can determine, to a scientific degree of certainty the exact number of fucks given today. If you're curious, click to view.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Lapel game skrong, despite it being from the perfect year for armpit level gorges.

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

^^

Not to get too derailed, but I'm not sure how any artist can make money these days without doing that sort of thing. Folks swap music without paying for it like they swap social diseases. If an album is a Top Ten seller for longer than a month, it's considered a blockbluster. YouTube is a veritable free jukebox, and Pandora ain't much better. There must be a business model out there, I just don't understand it.

1 person likes this.
  11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

No doubt...

I was listening to the countdown on XM2 the other day, and they mentioned some top-5 album selling 62,000 (!!) copies last week. When I was in high school, I don't think 62,000 copies would get an artist in the Hot100 chart in Billboard! Now, I don't know whether they were counting digital downloads, but I have to assume they were, as who buys physical albums these days (notwithstanding the fine gents in this thread buying vinyl).

A friend of mine just released his 5th album, and called it 'Shuffle' because nobody listens to albums straight through anymore. I immediately downloaded his album from iTunes and listend to it straight through, just to tell him I did. Albums aren't really stories any more. But the really good ones still are (I'm thinking of the latest albums by Muse, Fun! and Gillian Welch).

12. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

• licensing
    • concerts/merch
    • also: Taylor Swift's business model (seriously, look it up)

13. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

If anyone actually wants to do this, mathematica does polynomial interpolation quite easily
    try using the python data mining toolkit + a dictionary with connotation to construct a valid dataset

14. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

i'm not sure that "rigorous" and "regression" belong in the same sentence.

1 person likes this.
  15. darkmatter7

speaking of which, the key to thrifting is solving travelling salesman on a vertex weighted graph (weights give a value assessment given by your favorite bayesian network for cost/benefit analysis of a store on a given day)

16. darkmatter7

depends on the error threshold which you define to be your rigor
    given that threshold, there will necessarily be a polynomial of high enough order to approximate your data within that threshold

17. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

mathematically, sure, that is mostly the case. in the social sciences (where i apply it) there are huge problems with inflation (i.e. due to multi-collinearity). its a flexible technique, sure, but for most applications i use a higher-order form of co/variance assessment

18. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Senior member

19. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

in the time it took you guys to nerd out, other dudes learned how to perform a pushup.

1 person likes this.
  20. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

According to my calculations, I'm approximately 85.76% (its math. get it?) responsible for you looking good today. Your welcome bro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.