1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Freiburg-ish.

2. Friskydingo

Friskydingo Senior member

It's a Quindici, and it flips for quite a bit. There are 15 different colors screened onto the ties pattern, and the squares show exactly what colors are featured on the tie.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    3 people like this.
  3. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

Comments

Great hats! And man, that SC is a beauty. Jealous! I would wear that all the time. If you ever tire of it, just send it my way...
    EDIT: [​IMG] Beat me to it! [​IMG]

UNAVAILABLE

NOS AE Fifth Ave, 8D
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These fit me very similarly to the Park Ave's GMMcL posted in his latest fit (tight across the bridge of the foot, lots of tongue showing), since I too have issues with the 5 last. Been wanting semi-brogues in brown, so I think I'll keep these for now.

Thrift / Discount Fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details:
    jacket: 1970's BB Makers, from lookngr8
    shoes: 1970's J&M Aristocraft lizard-skin, ebay
    belt: Coach, from Fueco
    square: no-name Made in Italy, from GMMcL
    shirt: CT, clearance
    cords: Levi's 511, Marshalls clearance
    watch: no-name, from size38R

1 person likes this.
  4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Whoa, not one but two! Nice!
    Wow! That thing is $$$$. Must be insanely rare. Anything with Pucci's name and a crazy pattern is money, but coupled with the name Zegna too?! Even with the hole, it's worth grabbing at thrift prices.
    Those colors/that pattern. :drool:
    [​IMG] One of the 250 pairs made for Barney's Co-Op's 25th anniversary. Holy rare denim find Batman! Do want!! Prepared to :fence: for them!
    MartiniGirl made a post about this a couple days ago. Not sure what the numbers mean but that is a Zegna Quindici tie. Super expensive and very desirable. Be prepared to bring on some $$ on the bay. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ermeneg...extualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0 It's a shame to see that she may have left us. She really knew her stuff and I would have never known about these ties had she not mentioned them.

5. eazye

eazye Senior member

Hans, nice stuff all around, that rabbit hat would be getting plenty of wear if it were mine, no pimpin necessary. :D Nice look Cesar, glad that jacket went to a good home. :nodding: And for me today, I was planning an all day thrifting extravaganza since the wife is out of town. Well, after 8 stores with not a single thing in my backpack, I was about ready to hang it up. But something told me to just hit one more store. Gentlemen, I present you my finest non-clothing thrift find.

I like to think I know a lot about bikes, but the truth is, my knowledge starts and ends with mountain bikes. I no next to nothing about road or vintage bikes. This however, was a no brainer. The Brooks saddle shone out like a spotlight under all the shit that was buried of top of it. I'm guessing this is from the 50's or 60's but I'm not entirely sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Every component is stamped "Made in England" right down to the brake pads, so I'm assuming it's all OG. It's got some topical rust, but for the most part, it's in great shape. Brooks seat with an internal 3 speed hub shifter. :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer:
    Just in time for the warm weather too! The only thing that sucked, I was far as fuck away from my house when I found it, so I had to walk this bike along with my current bike about 3 hours back home, but it was worth it. Total price, $30 plus tax. :happy:

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow! Excellent find, Easy! :slayer:

Just in time for spring/summer! :D

7. eazye

eazye Senior member

A couple more for the bike nerds. I also forgot the best part, it's my size!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. eazye

eazye Senior member

Thanks Nat! The pictures don't do it justice, it's really fucking sick. I'm super stoked right now. :D

9. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

So nice, been wanting a high quality, solid and deep purple tie like this for a while now. Nothing too brag worthy for me, but first run in a while and I'm ok with what I grabbed. Left 3 Southwick suits, 1 had stains/damage around the crotch (not THOSE kinds of stains but still), 1 I don't remember why I didn't like but I didn't, and 1 grey herringbone that I really tried to convince myself fit me but it just didn't (and I've got too many larger items to flip already). Also, it was a 3-roll-1, if that's a thing. Had 3 buttons, one totally and completely behind the lapel, one that looked like the usual 3-roll-2 button (you think you can button it but you can't without looking dumb) and then one actual workable button... Anywhoo. No-name but super soft (feels just like a couple Sulkas I have) tie in my proud UConn colors, NWT VV, Golden Fleece polo for myself (finally popped that cherry after some near misses), and a Ted Baker silk (I think) shirt. [​IMG] Mostly bothering to post to add to the litany of odd-pattern NWT VV ties that have been posted recently. Here we have Yale School of Medicine: [​IMG] I have no real ties to Yale (my dad went to law school there and I've lived near Yale all my life), and certainly no med school ties, but the pattern is enough of a basic emblem I think I can pull it off anyways. Opinions? EDIT - My mistake, Yale School of Management's crest, not School of Medicine.

10. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Great find. Wish bikes weren't marked up so high around here. I always see crappy bikes going for 100+ worse is that people are buying them. I don't even look anymore

11. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Here I thought that those Borrelli's would be the attention-grabber! I almost left that one off thinking there would be no interest :happy:

Cesar: Great fit!

Eazy: Wonderful looking bike!

12. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

Wow EazyE- I am quite jelly. I was stoked to find an 80's Peugeot Iseran for $30 a couple weeks ago.

Today I'm prepping about 50 items of thrifted clothing I've been holding onto for too long to throw on ebay tomorrow evening. And listening to a bunch of great thrifted records!

playlist:
    Tyrone Davis- Without You In My Life (KILLER RECORD)
    Johnny Nash- I Can See Clearly Now (another killer record I've been hunting for since hearing his cover of Guava Jelly)
    Ricky Nelson and the Stone Canyon Band-Garden Party
    The Art Ensemble of Chicago- Bap-Tizum
    David Van Ronk-Gamblers Blues (excited to see the Coens Bros film based loosely on him)

13. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Nice! [​IMG]

15. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Great find, but you might want to peddle it instead of pedal it.

I was amazed to find out what a decent vintage English three-speed is worth (and this one looks more than decent), but a lot more than I, personally, would pay. They are poseur bikes. Three-speed hubs, even Sturmey-Archer, which I presume is on this one, are notoriously finicky and complicated. The brakes won't work for sour owl shit, especially with steel rims, and especially in wet weather, although this one looks like it might have after-market brakes, hard to tell--what does it say on them? Weinmann? I would definitely get rid of the reflectors, no matter what, and probably the horn, with the idea of making it as clean and original as possible. I'm guessing that the cable housing, the grips and the cable clips are secondary, but that's a guess. Some upscale chrome clips would make for a cheap and effective dress-up. It also appears to be missing the seat clamp--I'd splurge for chrome there, as well.

But, no matter what you do, you will still always have a bicycle that is heavy and inefficient, even though it looks great. If you keep it and use it, you will always be adjusting the brakes and the shifting apparatus. If you keep it, I would suggest replacing the saddle with a Brooks leather saddle, if you can find one for a reasonable price, which will both look better and be more comfortable. The ones for upright riding positions cost $100 or more and wouldn't at all detract from the look. Naval jelly and steel wool can work wonders on cleaning up rust from chrome, not sure about painted surfaces.

I don't mean to denigrate this bicycle at all--I would've snapped it up at twice the price. I just wouldn't keep it. It's subjective.

16. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Agree; I'd flip as well. Clean it up a bit and then throw it on Craigslist when the weather gets warmer. Chicago has a strong bike (and hipster) population that would eat that up.

17. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

If I hadn't gotten those ass whooping Italian bespoke SCs from the Spoo-meister, I would PM the shit out of this one! Yes, I'm going to brag about all three of those SCs for the rest of the year!
    +1
    Older Zegnas are cool, too!

WTF!!!!!!!! @ limited super rare Raleigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

18. suited

suited Senior member

The cantarelli is stained around the neck, dry cleaners will have their work cut out for them. Been a little slow lately, this stuff is currently n/a.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    T&A and Recent Brooks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

So, I've imposed a no thrift and buying anything men's wear related for a month. However, while I was waiting for my hair appointment, I passed by a thrift store...Couldn't resist...Coped my first pair of Stone Island non-selvedge jeans. I'm a selvedge whore so buying a pair of non-selvedge was out of character...Nevertheless, this was my first SI.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So, I then got faded up and looking fly as shit. Went home. Passed by our garbage dump and found this sitting patiently, waiting for my embrace.
    [​IMG]
    Nothing special but we were looking for one! +1,000 for I'm happy for saving money, that's a bargain, free shit FTW!!! [​IMG]

20. DanM

DanM Senior member

Is this "good Gant" or just "better Gant"?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.