1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Nope

1 person likes this.
  2. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

[​IMG]

Pit to pit: 19.75
    sleeve: 25.5 (+1)
    Shoulder: 17.5
    Length (from bottom of collar): 30

Pants:

waist: 31 (+3)
    inseam: 33 (+2)

leg width at thigh: ~10.5
    leg width at cuff: ~7.5

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

U R always a gentleman and treat people well here. Karma will reward.

Seen Huntsman discussed here but refused to believe it existed in the wild. Until

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both owned by same dude. Not having measured I'm going to guess a 40R-ish. The pant legs are long. Must have been 6-0, 6-1ish

Just a general comment: These Robert Graham shirts are spreading on racks like e. coli at Burger King.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. shirtsnmor

shirtsnmor Senior member

I found this yesterday at the Goodwill. A Emilio Pucci by Ermenegildo Zegna Suit w/ Flat Front pants. Everything looked great until I looked at the sleeve. Aaargh! I couldn't find a lot of information on this line. Sold by Saks. I might kop it and try a re-weaver that has been posted on this thread previously.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Wow, cool! Love seeing Savile Row stuff!

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Was this shortly after you beat him for his share of the Kiton? After taking the pic, did he scrawl a note in blood? :uhoh:

2 people like this.
  8. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Holy shit! 2 Huntsman in one store???!!! CRAY CRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super jelly! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. HansderHund

Things I brought back from Vienna...

A couple of silk pocket squares (unavailable):

[​IMG]

Hugo Boss Selection suit. I don't pick up a lot of Hugo Boss, but this one was Super 150's (unavailable):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Burberry jacket. I don't think it's an orphan, though it could be. It's not nearly as big as it appears (unavailable):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

McNeal shirt. McNeal isn't expensive, so I leave almost everything I find. I do, however, have a couple of linen shirts from them that are great. I grabbed this because it's 10x better than their normal stuff. Sea Island cotton with beautiful buttons. Size 40, available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Canali shirt (unavailable):

[​IMG]

Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit:

[​IMG]

Two beautiful summer Borrellis (unavailable):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ferrari polo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found a number of hats that someone didn't get a chance to wear or from a shop. A couple had store tags.

Wool cap (unavailable), made in Belgium:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wool Christy's London (unavailable):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Insane rabbit and beaver fur hat. I don't know what I'll do with it, unless I transform into a '70s street pimp, but I couldn't leave it behind.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any hat guys out there know the age of these? They're NOS...

Brown Royal Stetson (unavailable):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grey Royal Stetson (unavailable)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ties, L to R: No name bird tie, Bally, S.T. Dupont (a first for me), Alexander Wien:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul & Shark cardigan, XXL. I missed a couple of small moth bites in it at the shop, only one goes through. Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Austrian Army Alpine sweater. HEAVY and no flaws. These are cool and really useful in cold weather. Tapered waist keeps it tight on the hips.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bruno Maglis...owner used shoe trees. (unavailable)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Smaller rucksack from a local company that went out of business. I always pick these up when I find them. This one has a neat small exterior frame. (unavailable)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one fits pretty well and was dirt cheap. It came from a menswear chain that closed a year or two ago. I find a bunch of their stuff NWT. Their house label isn't bad, but it's usually marked up pretty high. This is a wool/cashmere blend that I'll likely only wear once per year, but it was worth it at that price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

This is pro advice.

The Huntsmans I found were orphan jackets at first and I was really really bummed -- not for the flippability or tradeability, but just when you find something nice like that you grieve in general that it was separated...if you're a clothes dork like me, and if you're poasting here, you'd better be hahahaha

...and there they were, 4-5 racks away, together, just like the coats were paired in the coat section. Was not as successful with a corneliani found same day, different stoar.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Is there any point in picking up an amazing flannel Zegna sport coat with a tiny moth hole near the cuff and a label with vertically-stacked words, like so:

Z
    ERMENEGILDO
    ZEGNA​

Because it's breaking my heart.

12. Raist

Raist Active Member

I'm not an expert but I believe the "Z" line is one of their lower lines.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Thanks, but it's definitely mainline. There's just a little circled 'Z' atop the name. Driving me nuts. At the very least, the flannel is so nice, I'd like to use it for something, I just...don't know what. :D

14. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Is the Z in a circle? Sounds like older mainline, noob. If you like it, grab it!

By the way: Anytime the word "Ermenegildo" appears, it is not the "Z" line. I was confused about this for a while, since some E. Zegna stuff has a big Z on the tag. Also, the Z Zegna stuff is actually pretty decent, I've found—despite the less than stellar rep on here.

2 people like this.
  15. timmygoestothez

timmygoestothez Well-Known Member

Picked up two things today.

NWT Vineyard Vines Golf Tie (available, not that anyone will want this):

Apparently a custom order for a golf tournament in Binghamton (the Don Hengel Memorial Sports Classic). I guess the player is supposed to be praying? I'm not sure what the "S" on his shirt is all about, but I guess a Michigan State alum could claim it's for "Spartans"? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Raleigh Denim, Size 34. Possibly available:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

I own literally that exact same frostline kit but mine has velcro instead of snaps. if that measures to about a large I would be down for a trade my medium is too small

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Pro Tip: Better then learning labels is learning content tags. Anyone can remember a name brand (store employees included), but if you know the tags you know what you really have.

Both are not available.

Found in a higher end thrift store where BB ties are $8-10, Versace, Zegna, etc are $20+ The script RL tag is gone or this would have been 2-3x the price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From a large store where they have an OK idea of what they have by name. Also had an OLD ugly Zegna at the same price which was left. I know these were talked about the other day, but first time finding one. What do the numbers 1-15 mean on the blade?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

This is pretty great. My wife's a Northwestern grad and she always gets after me for not having enough purple clothing. I'd pair this with the Bonobos purple cords I got for football games.

If you ever get tired of it ....

19. HansderHund

I wrote that down, but remind me next fall. If I haven't worn it by then, it's yours!

I actually found it on a women's rack. The woman working was watching as I tried it on and must have thought I was buying a purple women's jacket.

20. HansderHund

Oh, and ATLjon: I know you were looking for German maps, but I wasn't sure which region. I passed a map of Frankfurt, though it wasn't terribly old (maybe 1930s?). Which area were you looking for again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.