• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm..."scratches head, turns diagram upside down and sideways".

Thrift fit pic needed. Get on it!

Well, the thrift gods must absolutely love me for some reason....I've got one of the more amazing orphan reuniting stories: So, 2-3 weeks ago I hit up a GW that I visit very infrequently because it's ~20+ miles from my house, and I see this absolute beauty:

Awesome recent (I think) Chipp. I was super excited since I've never found anything by Chipp, and that lining is just amazing. Searched frantically for the pants and got super bummed when I couldn't find them. Against my better judgment, got it anyway thinking that it was a decent enough pattern to rock as an SC, but knowing deep down it was probably a bad idea. But I couldn't very well leave my first Chipp find!

So, today, 3 weeks later I'm in that part of town for a meeting again and I hit up a different GW, about 5 miles away from the one where I found the jacket, and lo and behold, this beauty is staring back at me:

bounce2.gif
I still wasn't sure though...I thought the odds were low that my first two Chipp finds would be unrelated, but I couldn't exactly remember if the pattern was right on. Just got home and it's a match.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
. Mind you, I've been back to the store I found the pants in, in the interim period since finding the jacket, AND this place is a flipper haven (which I was reminded of today when I saw an older lady powering through the menswear at a breakneck pace), so it had to have just been put out.

Oh and the kicker: I tried it on and it fits too, just need to bring in the waist.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

That's pretty damn fantastic.
To the finds...
First up, the jacket I posted about a few hours ago:

Pringle sweater (lambswool, not cashmere), tagged 40 but the previous owner must have shrunk it because it fits me pretty well.

Two great finds! The jacket, I think, is pretty damn sweet, and you should wear the hell out of that sweater.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
This is what I was thinking. I wanted to see how you guys tackle polishing/restoring thrifted shoes.

Ok, so,
1. Damp Cloth...what kind of cloth? Is there special type/brand you guys recommend?
2. Brush...im seeing horse hair everywhere...that correct?
3. Buff, what am i using for this?

Thanks again guys. I stopped in a shoe repair/shine place earlier today and the jackass there told me to use the wax in the same color the shoes are. that was it, he didnt specify steps or other things to do. Glad I have you guys. Haha
There are entire threads like "THE OFFICIAL SHOE CARE THREAD"
teacha.gif
http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc for basic questions like this. Not to get off on a tanget but this IMO is not the right place to ask, and if you searched for 2 seconds you would find these threads. I'm sure if you went in the shoe care thread and started bragging about your thrift finds people would be like WTF.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Andro - IIRC the original Chipp is defunct. Chipp2 is a recent reincarnation by the dude's son. I'm not sure, but I believe that's the original Chipp label.

Caseyfud - Maus & Hoffman is a high end department store in my area. They have a few locations in Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. Their house label is generally much better than Saks and Neiman house brand items.

Hoofit - if you want for yourself, and it's been there a while, offer $200. It wouldn't be easily flipped unless you got it for about $50.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I read up on Chipp/Chipp2 some time back, and I think this is the original Chipp, but I think they were around until the early 2000s I think? (though I could be wrong about that)....so maybe *relatively* recent? I only even say that because the condition is just amazing, though it obviously could have just been well maintained. Regardless, it's pretty awesome.

Andro - IIRC the original Chipp is defunct. Chipp2 is a recent reincarnation by the dude's son. I'm not sure, but I believe that's the original Chipp label.
Caseyfud - Maus & Hoffman is a high end department store in my area. They have a few locations in Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. Their house label is generally much better than Saks and Neiman house brand items.
Hoofit - if you want for yourself, and it's been there a while, offer $200. It wouldn't be easily flipped unless you got it for about $50.

jamiebryant

Reaction score
There are entire threads like "THE OFFICIAL SHOE CARE THREAD"
teacha.gif
http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc for basic questions like this. Not to get off on a tanget but this IMO is not the right place to ask, and if you searched for 2 seconds you would find these threads. I'm sure if you went in the shoe care thread and started bragging about your thrift finds people would be like WTF.

I feel ya. Just thought about that ****. Sorry for hijacking, just figured since we were on the topic it was cool.
Ill check out the other thread.
On to the thrift finds.

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some finds from today

Bostonian trees, Polo Regent and Hickey Freeman for me, Peter Millar Chinos 38, Orvis Moleskins 36, Zegna 33

Recent Hickey Freeman, very nice, double vented, great fabric, 39S

Gianluca Isaia 7-fold, small stain on front

2 Brooks Brothers "wash and wear" 44R suits, 3/2 roll, no padding on shoulders, one with a subtle blue plaid, one subtle red

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Load of shirts today.

LVC Shorthorn shirt, NWT:

Billy Reid:

Borelli:

Another Pendleton:

And a Willis and Geiger sweater:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads