• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I dont know when I am going to have the time to take pics, and I know text posts are no fun, but for now its all I can muster. Local event in .0001% status wealth had a "flea market" at a fair that had fill-a-bag for $30. I got 2 garbage bags for $60 and took home :
4x Stubbs and Wootton needlepoint embroidered loafers

Awesome! I've been wanting some of these just for the baller-ness of them. 0% chance I find any here, though.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see your Bagger Vance and raise you a Jimmy Darmody. Out for dinner and dranks with the wife. Everything thrifted by me except the trousers.
Stetson herringbone windowpane cap
Paul Stuart shirt
Chipp tie in remembrance of my pup
unknown vintage wool vest
Lands End made in Germany Loden SC
Levis cords
Calvin Klein chocolate suede chuckkas

Far out, man! I'm totally gonna steal this pic and try to dress like this! High five!

This thread used to be a place where people found great great things and wore them with pride or passed them at cost as favours - you might have noticed or not but I'm doing that myself with a Caruso jacket.
Nowadays it's just a joke because it reeks of niggardly greed.
"Shite jacket by some awful maker - AVAILABLE"
A true true joke.

Give this guy a break. To me, he seems like an ESL speaker. He might not quite understand the power or the sentiment of any words that remotely resembles the "N" word brings in our culture.

It's going to make me even less popular, but I agree with this sentiment. I haven't really wanted to mention it, but I'm sure this will spark a few pages of discussion, so I might as well throw my sentiments in. There are still a few people left that are willing to make deals, but for the most part it's gone. I'm getting so ******* sick of PMing some people (some of whom I have given insane deals in the past) and them quoting me eBay prices, and sometimes more than eBay prices.

I was never aware you are unpopular on here...lol No, but seriously, I have mix thoughts on this topic.

First of all, If you charge your items high on here, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's your possession and you get to do whatever you want with it. If people are willing to pay the asking price, then more power to you. If you don't want to pay the asking price and all negotiation falls through, move on with your life. No big deal.

Now, when it comes to etiquette, I think it's only reasonable to reciprocate any hook ups you get on here. I prefer trading items over cash buys because it seems to be a fairer deal for both parties. On top of that, you can resell or re-trade the item if it doesn't fit without your trading partner accusing you of cheating him out of his Ebay profit. Then you have to apologize and do damage control. If you don't, well, your reputation gets soiled on here. Too much hassle!

The bottom line is If you don't want your items to go cheap on here, DON'T post it on here, go straight to Ebay.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Awesome! I've been wanting some of these just for the baller-ness of them. 0% chance I find any here, though.

Sorry, forgot to mention - those were womens. :(

rayxlui

Reaction score

So, I dont know when I am going to have the time to take pics, and I know text posts are no fun, but for now its all I can muster. Local event in .0001% status wealth had a "flea market" at a fair that had fill-a-bag for $30. I got 2 garbage bags for $60 and took home :
4x Stubbs and Wootton needlepoint embroidered loafers
2x Bass brick sole suede PTBs
1x Bass black Weejun penny (with pennies still inside)
2x Brooks Brothers mocha and chocolate suede brick sole PTBs
Ralph Lauren made in Italy chestnut handstitched loafers
NWT $1550 Celine floral printed skirt from 2 seasons ago
black double turn lock Coach mens briefcase
4x JCrew tailored fit 2 ply cotton shirts
1x Hermes striped button down with silver bullet buttons
Kiton 7 fold tie
Bergdorf Goodman alligator belt
Davide Cenci trench coat with zip out removable lining
Banana Republic cotton/poly essential Mac raincoat
NWT Holland and Sherry heavy woven tie
Allen Edmonds Randolph loafers
Noname handmade in Brazil tassel kiltie shoes
PRL emerald green wide wale corduroys
Polo Ralph Lauren white true buckskin bucks with brick soles
Tods womens Gommini driving loafers
Previously thought to be NWT but was just drycleaned and folded Tom Ford white tuxedo shirt
:slayer:

da fuq.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can people calm down about complaining about this thead, make a new one if you don't like it or get annoying posters like me banned...
sorry about not shipping stuff yet guys **** has been hectic, turns out I have mono again, got rejected from priceton faster than I thought humanly possible, didn't get the tall person scholarhsip, missed my city comittee meeting, my dog is dying, I cussed out my journalism teacher and got saturday school, I am failing ap studio art, I have got a b on my last ap gov test and my parents grounded me so I am unable to go to an adolecents show and was rejected by the girl I like, so now I ranting to old dudes on the internet... basically white people problems
anyway this is sort of a brag, got it super cheap on ebay

"Basically white people problems" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my closet is mad full, so i only got one pair of 'gamos instead of two. #thrifterproblems

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is If you don't want your items to go cheap on here, DON'T post it on here, go straight to Ebay.
What? No. This is the bragging thread. Post here no matter what you plan to do with it.

Since I'm posting on this now, here's what I do:

If you're a regular and PM me about something I'll either do cost + shipping + a little gas money, or, if it's higher value, I'll figure what I think I can get on eBay and divide by 2. For some regulars rather than try to figure out a trade right away I've just shipped stuff off and we figured it out later. However, I also get several lurkers who don't post here PM'ing me expecting the same kind of deal, and I don't really see the point of offering super low prices to people who don't contribute to the community.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my closet is mad full, so i only got one pair of 'gamos instead of two. #thrifterproblems

Uh, hey... We're the same size
mwink[1].gif

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NIGGARDLY, NIGGARDLY, NIGGARDLY!!!!!!!!!

There, I said it--a whole bunch of times. "Niggardly" is NOT a racist term. Has nothing to do with skin color, y'all can look it up, and please do. It means "miserly" or "overly cheap" or something to that effect. As an aficionado of the English language, I hate, and I mean truly hate, it when folks bastardize (you can look that up, too) the language. Not so many years ago, someone in government got fired for using the word "niggardly," and the Fourth Estate that was supposed to run herd on **** didn't figure out what the freakin' word meant until it was too late. The poor sap still ended up on the unemployment line. Again, and please, there are more than enough lawyers and academics who populate this thread. I happen to like the word "niggardly," although not as much as "nepenthe."

Peace.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Blimey I didn't realise you yanks got so PC about phonetics...

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and my shoes, a mix of loafers, sneakers, chukkas and way in back my made in doc martens I got for $10 for when I really need to kick the **** out of someone

pants drawer, selvage denim apc, gap, j crew vintage levis, some chinos and black and white jeans

on the side there is a hat rack go giants

and on the other side there is a scarf and belt rack

in season jacket hang right next to it
vintage swedish army, vintage leather, vintage tiger stipe, levis denim, supreme windbreaker

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lands end just introduced ladies monogram velvet slippers so if you have tiny feet they are an option...

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Wrong brag thread... But I was trololo ing around the shop today when a wild

appeared.

Sorry for the **** shot, better ones after parrrrty.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NIGGARDLY, NIGGARDLY, NIGGARDLY!!!!!!!!!
There, I said it--a whole bunch of times. "Niggardly" is NOT a racist term. Has nothing to do with skin color, y'all can look it up, and please do. It means "miserly" or "overly cheap" or something to that effect. As an aficionado of the English language, I hate, and I mean truly hate, it when folks bastardize (you can look that up, too) the language. Not so many years ago, someone in government got fired for using the word "niggardly," and the Fourth Estate that was supposed to run herd on **** didn't figure out what the freakin' word meant until it was too late. The poor sap still ended up on the unemployment line. Again, and please, there are more than enough lawyers and academics who populate this thread. I happen to like the word "niggardly," although not as much as "nepenthe."
Peace.

dude do you really think that i wasn't 100% familiar with the dictionary definition of "niggardly" before i wrote my whiny, limousine-liberal elitist ultra-PC rant? or do you think that maybe i DID know what that word meant, yet i still consider it to be insensitive to use it? which one do you think is more likely?

Vintage Leather

Reaction score
Have you ever had a thrift purchase that ends up costing more in money and trouble than it's worth?

At one of my favorite thrift stores, they had a two pairs of Rossignol skis - a youth and a standard 183. They are a bit older, and have some flaws in the paint, but they were really cheap. I knew I could take them to my local ski shop, and flip them for 5x to 10x of what I paid. I just had to make sure my 7 yr old didn't see them...

But my 7 yr old left his football in the backseat of my car - when he went to get the ball, he saw the skis.

He started planning our Christmas vacation, informing me that he will be on the bunny slope this year and ski jumping next year... I was going to tell him "those aren't our skis"... I really was. But somehow, I heard "You will ski jump only after a certified instructor tells me that you are ready" coming out of my mouth.

Do you think I can still get rid of them or am I doomed to be spending 100x to 1000x the cost of those skis to throw myself off a mountain with some sticks on my feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads