1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartiniGirl

MartiniGirl Senior member

Holy... freaking... god.... This gets my vote for Worst Fake Ever! Had no idea Zegna was made in Paris... LOL!

2. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

ah ok, was finding a ton of stuff so I figured I'd gamble!

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Zegna did have boutiques in Paris and I'm sure they made pieces specifically for those stores. However, in this case, I vote fake.

4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Yeah bro, what you want to look for is the 4 "Gs" for the trademark. All the other ones including the "Gentlemen" lines were licensed back in the 80s, 90s.

http://www.tiedeals.com/givenchy10/givenchy101231bkbugocr.htm

5. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Be careful with 'NWOT' if you are thinking that due to the basted vent....I laugh when I see it but I would say 10% of people don't take out the vent basting especially if it is a dark or matching color thread.

6. MartiniGirl

MartiniGirl Senior member

I realized this thought too. The reason I'm classifying it as NWOT is because there is not 1 ounce of wear on the coat at all! It really does look new.

1 person likes this.
  7. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Senior member

Easter thrift-fit, and a special one at that: this morn was the first time in two months I was able to wear "nice" clothes. It's been sweat pants or shorts and sneakers a full size too big with elastic laces since my accident [​IMG]

Happy Easter!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ben Silver Blazer
    Old School BB Makers
    Polo Handmade
    Nordstrom Trou
    Vintage Cole Haan Captoes

4 people like this.
  8. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Sorry to hear about the accident, hope your doin alright in recovering...Just keep your head up and your spirits high!
    Happy Easter!

9. tubs

tubs Senior member

Schott U.S. 740N Peacoat : AVAILABLE to a thread regular.
    Labeled 44. Shoulders: 19", Sleeves 23.5, Length 28.5, Chest 23"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For me: Arc'Teryx pants and BR silk/linen tie. Tie is darker with light blue stripes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Nice finds!
    Bet it felt good to get back out there, huh? :D Those bespoke sportcoats look stunning! Wow! NWT Orlebar Brown?! Insane! Do want that R&B polo but need to hold off on purchases.
    :wow: :fu:
    Nice!!! There was a Holubar store here in the Twin Cities. Opened summer (July, I think) on '77 and closed in 1982 if I recall correctly when they were bought out by The North Face and the store turned into a North Face store. Very nice stuff.
    Actually there was, but nothing to the extent that we have today. REI, EMS, North Face, Bugaboo, Kelty, Wilderness Experience, Class 5, Gerry and lots of lesser-known labels that have since then disappeared were out there back in the 70's. Finding out about them was a different story if your local mountaineering shop didn't carry them. You found out about new companies and such from reading magazines like Wilderness Camping and Backpacker. Nothing like that we have now with internet access and nation-wide marketing. Some of the lesser-known labels from Calif and Colorado had a hard time reaching customers on the other side of the country and simply didn't last. Others gained momentum and got bigger and bigger. Class 5 was based in Berkeley and had started in the early 70's. By the late 1970's Daytons Department store here in Minnesota carried a few of their outerwear offerings. I have no clue why they went under, though.
    Excellent finds, as always! Love Breuer stuff. very under-rated. That Breuer shirt is beautiful!

11. suited

suited Senior member

A few items from the last week:

BB Double Breasted Trench w/ removable lining (n/a):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(PRL has been claimed, Canali is available, Ted Baker Red Floral is available, Ferragamo to ebay):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lanvin (the good one) - some sort of dinosaur scale pattern...(n/a right now, can't imagine anyone would want it, though)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unvented Corneliani (available):
    [​IMG]

Canali, probably an orphan (n/a):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  12. Raist

Raist Active Member

Today's haul.

Pants from Zegna, J.Crew seer sucker, BR with front patch pockets and button fly, Chiavari.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shirts from Trywhitt, Brooks Brothers, Faconnable

[​IMG]

13. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

this is not a brag

this is not a thrift fit pic

this is a thank you to my thread brethren for teaching me what is good, what looks like crap, what is a bargain, what isn't.

My family takes a cellphone portrait every Easter. It seems to be the only time when we all are dressed up at the same time, and we mark the years here. Practically all the clothes in this shot were thrifted/outlet/flea market. Posted on FB, 15 likes in a few hours (excellent for me, hah).

THat's a canali jacket for me. H-F tie. Florsheim 2-tone brown loafers. My son's clothes...damn beanpole. I buy him RL stuff and he grows out of it in 5 minutes. She did get him dress socks for the pic but he grabbed white ankle socks at last minute hahahahaha killing the pic. But otherwise...it's pretty good (her skirt came from my crazee San Jose run last spring...and that's a cashmere sweater under the jacket...)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    8 people like this.
  14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG] :) They are nice polos!
    I like your presence on here, really. Breath of fresh air. Do you ever look for clothes for yourself? I find tons of womens stuff... PM me if you need anything and (i know, ordinarily uncouth to ask, but) your size.

15. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

I heard somewhere that Oxxford Made in Italy shirts were Kiton. Any truth to this?

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Once upon a time, yes, but I think it was a very limited time they did that, maybe one or two seasons? Not 100% sure.

17. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

Looking good.

18. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

19. mhtcjt37

mhtcjt37 Senior member

I would wear this.

20. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Brian effing Sipe? Where's Steve DeBerg and Dave Krieg? Heh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.