1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Sick find. Amazing that a thrift store would have the presence of mind to price it that high. Also, sucks that it's khaki and not indigo dyed or black.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

WTF, when did Details make a comeback? Last I remember, Maxim arrived with its gale-force dumbness, Details had to fold, then GQ and Esquire had to become Details. Now I'm lost. Details is back, and recommending pleats? What does this even mean!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Also, can someone please kindly tell me where to get Plokhov for 90% off? Dyin' here. This shit gave me nightmares!

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Details and GQ are for beginners, lunchtime browsing and/or bathroom reading, nothing more. Neither one should be taken too seriously for its 'wisdom'.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I just didn't know Details was back, or when. Or, more to the point, why. GQ and Esquire still have good writers, IMO, it's just heartbreaking they gutted their fiction and journalism and turned their focus to adolescent booby-driven fantasy, all festooned with shitty little drawings and captions meant to compete with the internets.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Wow! Tie grails!

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Damn for only picking up those two things today, I think you did beyond well...
    Jealous of whoever already has dibs on those [​IMG]

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I bought Details for a year in 2007. Seems to me that if you take GQ & Details and combine them into one mag, it still barely qualifies as useful. The writing is not great, wherever it sparsely exists and most gents will out-grow the mags in a year and go onto better things, such as internet sites like SF.
    Have a look at this wisdom entry from Details and see what I mean.
    Look for example, at the slideshow entitled 'The Most Stylish Shoes You Can Own'
    http://www.details.com/style-advice/perfect-wardrobe/201011/broken-in-designer-shoes#slide=1
    I feel sorry for anyone who went out and paid real money for any of those shoes.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. sliq

sliq Senior member

10. messenger309

messenger309 Well-Known Member

Ian,

For around town, nothing beats a fixie. I rode a fixed gear as a courier for five years and can honestly say that once you ride a fixed gear you won't go back.

Having said that, if you like the clean lines of a fixed gear, look for a bike with an internal geared hub. You get 7 or so gears and no cassette at the back. Low maintenance too, although not as low as a fixed gear.

This was the scariest thing I ever did on my bike...

11. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Well if you're a 36, user artishard is selling his on eBay right now. A bit pricier but you could always make an offer.

1 person likes this.
  12. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Details used (late '80s/early '90s) used to be really good -- had a pretty good music section and was a well-rounded men's mag, culture, etc. A little pretentious, but I enjoyed if for 4-5 years. I subscribed to it and Esquire. Then the Internets distracted me, hahahah. I can't really comment on the style section, because I would skip over that at the time. I do remember thinking at the time they were heavy on hygiene/cologne/cosmetics-y content and wishing they had more music/film/TV articles instead. Esquire, of course, you read for the marquee feature & fiction writers, not the fashion advice.

That being said, my "pre-broken-in" Gucci loafers are perfect for the Details audience I see after checking out MoL's link, they'll be jealous hahahaha

On the matter of fixed-gear bikes riding around town, I took my first pedi-cab ride. In New Orleans a couple weeks back went from convention center all the way through the French QUarter to Snug Harbor (jazz club). It was awesome. Did it out of necessity, all cabs were taken, big trade show -- but the bike ride was relaxing, you got the see the Quarter in all its glory close up, and the dude pedaling the bike busted his ass & earned his tip.

1 person likes this.
  13. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

I love that Borrelli [​IMG] Would have been bummed if under 3.5"
    Not US size, right? If so, AND the left shoe is 1/2 larger let me know [​IMG]

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

When I lived in Chicago, I loved my Cannondale Hybrid. Was good for downtown city streets and around the neighborhood, and I could hop off the pavement onto the groomed bike trails through the park when the mood struck or bike lines got too clogged. I brought it with me when I moved to Portland but my job was too far to bike to (plus 7 months of rain) so I ended up getting a car and eventually selling the bike.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Woke up to about 4 inches this morning....probably at least 6 now. Wish I had one of those sleds...our dog (who looks exactly like the one in this pic) would love that. I used to roller blade with her when she was about 2 years old.....until the day she found a squirrel and I found a tree. lol. My wife, who was on a bike at the time, nearly laughed herself into a ditch.

[​IMG]

16. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Brands aren't likely to help much. Schwinn, for example, makes--or made (it's been awhile)--dozens of models, some great (Paramount), others complete crap (Varsity). What you should do is study up a bit on bicycles and figure out what features are desirable and what should be avoided. Cranksets, for example. You shouldn't consider any bicycle that doesn't have a cotterless crankset, so do some googling and figure out what a cotterless crankset is (and DO NOT go with one-piece steel, even though it doesn't have cotter pins). All things being equal, most bicycles worth owning do not come with kickstands, so consider that a red flag. You shouldn't go with anything that weighs more than 25 pounds, so heft a few bikes until you have a pretty good idea of what one weighs without putting it on a scale. You'll want alloy, not steel, rims, so learn how to tell the difference. If the frame is made from steel, you'll want forged dropouts, so learn what a dropout is, then how to tell forged from stamped. If it's a vintage bicycle, look for decals on the frame that state the material--if it says Columbus tubing or Reynolds 531 or Ishiwata (common on high-end vintage Japanese bicycles), you should probably buy it. If it's a vintage road bicycle, you will, in almost all cases, want sidepull brakes, so learn the difference between sidepull and centerpull. If it is a vintage road bicycle and the components are made by Campagnolo, it's probably a good bike.

Personally, I would not buy a three-speed. Some folks swear by them, but I have found them to be difficult to keep adjusted and in good working order.

There is no substitute for research when it comes to buying a bicycle, and there are more brands, makes and models to choose from than there are ties, socks and shirts put together. As for places to look, you could do worse than CL. Bicycles are like cars. They plummet in value the second they leave the showroom. Unlike cars, though, a fair number of bikes end up in the hands of well-intentioned owners who never get around to riding them, and so finding a decent bicycle in good shape for a couple hundred bucks shouldn't be overly difficult.

Good luck.

17. eazye

eazye Senior member

I've been rocking my Cannondale Chase for the past couple years now, it's perfect for the city.

18. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

19. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

The most wasted pages in GQ/Details are the interviews with movie stars: Brad Pitt, Bruce Willis, Tom Cruise.... In the interviews, they give advice about life. Really?! These guys are barely literate and are expounding about how men should handle their work/home lives. Give me a break.

I'd listen to them giving me advice on how to nail an audition, but that's about it.

2 people like this.
  20. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

That is so horrible, it's awesome!!! [​IMG] [/quote] I was thinking that the waking up with four inches was TMI. At least it grew?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.