• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

private eyes

Reaction score
those pendleton pants are nice ! Id love a pair in size 30 (or any nice wool slacks) to get tailored to a slim fit.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are the Vacca's from yesterday. The pants are currently unavailable, the shirt is definitely unavailable.

Navy 36 waist

Gray 36 waist

Shirt Tag size EU 40 us 15 3/4

Measurments:
Collar: 15 3/4"
P2P 23"
Sleeve 32"

Last edited:

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are the Vacca's from yesterday. The pants are currently unavailable, the shirt is available.
Navy 36 waist

Gray 36 waist

Shirt Tag size EU 40 us 15 3/4

Measurments:
Collar: 15 3/4"
P2P 23"
Sleeve 32"

PM on the shirt!!

DeadBoy

Reaction score
I sell 90% of what I find. The trench is way too big for me and will be getting listed, the scarf I may keep.

Fair enough. But if you're not happy with how much you're getting on eBay listings, you might want to think twice before buying that licensed Christian Dior stuff.

private eyes

Reaction score
I said I made no money selling blazers. I make a good amount selling boots, work wear, outer wear, even scarfs ( sold 2 burberry scarfs for 90-100). The trench will sell just fine .

datsunfan

Reaction score

Today was rough, I had to put down my 13 year old malamute. I'm gonna hit the thrifts tomorrow to try and cheer myself up.

My condolences. My mom had to put my family's dog down today as well. Ours was a 16 year-old mutt from the Houston SPCA that we got when she was a puppy. They said she was a Golden Retriever/Collie mix. The DNA test we had done on her many years later revealed that she was mostly Boxer, with some Chihuahua, Italian Greyhound, and Parson Russell Terrier mixed in.

Randy

Reaction score
So after reading that great article, I became curious about Spoo's identity and so forth. Lo, Google is your friend and all that...

It seems that all the bluster about "I didn't know nuthin' about fashion before my accidental thrift find that fateful day" is just drivel. Apparently Spoo has a very long and distinguished family history in the clothing business dating back to the 18th century. The Spoopokers were very old New York and Pennsylvania Dutch stock. Here's a tidbit that turned up in that regard:

By the 20th century, the company had become quite an enterprise, and the family Spoopoker name became interchangeable with just "Spoo" (I guess like Coca-Cola and Coke). Here's one of many ads that turned up tonight and one of the better ones:

I'm getting a sense that the company declined during the 1970s. By this time, the older "Van Spoosen" moniker (I'm sensing an homage to the family's Euro origins) had apparently pretty much given way to the Calvin Kleinesque "Matthew Spoo" diffusion brand. A Wall Street Journal reference pointed to one particular ad campaign from that era that was universally panned for its racist "Blacksploitation" overtones:

As with Sambo's Restaurants, which succumbed to similar social pressures, this bit of positioning wizardry was quite a scandal. To wit, this yellow headline likely graced quite a few Piggly Wiggly and Safeway checkout lines at one point:

Anyway, our own Spoo here must be the fourth or fifth generation of Spoopokers who couldn't seem to resist sartorial merchantry one way or another, although I highly doubt his ancestors would have approved of the way he's doing it now. No matter their judgments (they're dead, for god's sake, no disrespect intended). Plus, the guy is apparently killing it, his self-imposed faux "secrecy" notwithstanding. I'm practically certain he won't appreciate this intrusion and attendant editorializing, alas. I just hope he won't cut me off as a customer now. (Spoo, it's all out there anyway. I'm surprised nobody's unearthed this stuff before in any case.)

Randy

Last edited:

LBC Demon

Reaction score
Just started thrifting recently and this is my first time e-bragging.

$24 - Allen Edmonds Woodstock.

They were labeled $48 but the vintage store was remodeling so everything was half off. I passed on them because I made a budget of $20 to spend. I went home and kicked myself for not getting them and luckily when I went back the next day they were still there. I now realize a budget sucks.

Does anyone know how to get the frilly things to lay flat and not fray upwards?

$15 - Hickey Freeman 100% Wool Trousers made in Italy. I don't know much about HF; what does "sport" mean? They are my size but the legs are very big. Would slimming the legs make them look weird?

LBC Demon

Reaction score
Just started thrifting recently and this is my first time e-bragging.

$24 - Allen Edmonds Woodstock.

They were labeled $48 but the vintage store was remodeling so everything was half off. I passed on them because I made a budget of $20 to spend. I went home and kicked myself for not getting them and luckily when I went back the next day they were still there. I now realize a budget sucks.

Does anyone know how to get the frilly things to lay flat and not fray upwards?

$15 - Hickey Freeman 100% Wool Trousers made in Italy. I don't know much about HF; what does "sport" mean? They are my size but the legs are very big. Would slimming the legs make them look weird?

Vintage Leather

Reaction score

One would think the people who make their living out of this would be reluctant to advertise their business model in return for a 15 sec. fame to people who would never take a second look to thrifting thread of styleforum even if they stumbled in a google search. :confused: Oh well. Carry On.

Develop a feel for labels, brands, materials and current styles. this is a helluva lot harder than it looks unless you work in the fashion industry, or are actually willing and able to put in the research.

Spend 10+ hours a week visiting filthy, reeking shops, populated by flashers in tights, 80 year old women with an odd fascination for ironing, and aggressive resellers. Some days, you are lucky - but usually you find things like a refrigerator magnet in the shape of a piece of sushi.
Note, unless you live in a mindlessly consumeristic city, you may be driving as many as 400 miles a week to make your rounds.

Then, take what you have found and launder it to remove signs of urine, sweat, and other biological hazards.

Now, you finally have an inventory, time to spend 40-50 hours photographing and listing items, as well as communicating with your potential customer base.

You pay a significant commission to your selling forum, and then you spend time packing, shipping ect. Hopefully you have protected yourself from consumer fraud. Hopefully.

Are you ready to start following that business model?

It sounds lovely in Spoo's article (congratulations Spoo!) but reality is - I can only think of a half-dozen cities where it's a viable full-time business. Even in those cities, you need a highly educated sense of taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads