• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your Goodwill boutique has recentish Burburry sport coats for $25? I have seen more than a few here in the Portland boutiques priced at $90 or more, with suits being $150 and up. I am now beginning to believe that the Goodwills around here are losing touch with reality.

The Portland Goodwills (if memory serves, Willamette is in the name) are a model for GW's across the country. Folks from GW's everywhere fly in to Portland for seminars on how to run thrift stores. Fortunately, at least for folks like me, they pick up on how to do it with varying degrees of success. Every GW and market is different, and thank God for that. Where I live, no one would shell out that kind of money for suits or sport coats. My fear is, they'll get it figured out at least enough to make true bargains hard to find.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the stuff I found this weekend.

Donegal Handwoven 42L from the other day

Only hit a one place today and only had 20 minutes. Found a couple jackets. I'm confused by this one. It's Bally and seems well made. Reversible. But is this mens or women's? It fits me well... The buttons are the right side for men's with the gray out, women's with the tan side out. The gray is a flannel wool, the tan is fuzzy... Not sure what to call the fabric. Thoughts appreciated.

Pretty cool Woolrich field jacket. The shell is a nylon / cotton blend that kinda looks like waxed cotton and is water resistant at least (maybe waterproof)

Here's the NOS shooz I found the other day. Notice the bevelled pegged waist on the sole. Gotta be from the 50's or 60's. Cap? Thoughts?

Found these nicely made cords the other day. Split curtain waist, nice construction, excellent fabric. Absolutely no tags except the size tag "36" and a "Dry Clean Only" tag. No idea who made them but they fit really well except needing to be hemmed.

Also this NWOT PRL cord shirt for me

Friskydingo

Reaction score

The Portland Goodwills (if memory serves, Willamette is in the name) are a model for GW's across the country. Folks from GW's everywhere fly in to Portland for seminars on how to run thrift stores. Fortunately, at least for folks like me, they pick up on how to do it with varying degrees of success. Every GW and market is different, and thank God for that. Where I live, no one would shell out that kind of money for suits or sport coats. My fear is, they'll get it figured out at least enough to make true bargains hard to find.

Goodwill pricing at the boutiques is out of control, the suburban ones are steadily climbing, but the ruel locations still have very reasonable pricing. I see the same $60 stafford suits and $10 ties sit on the rack untill they are cycled out again.

I don't know where they come up with these prices, or who is buying it (not many people, apperantly). There are still plenty of things to pick up as stuff that the prices police miss, but it gets annoying some times.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Goodwill pricing at the boutiques is out of control, the suburban ones are steadily climbing, but the ruel locations still have very reasonable pricing. I see the same $60 stafford suits and $10 ties sit on the rack untill they are cycled out again.
I don't know where they come up with these prices, or who is buying it (not many people, apperantly). There are still plenty of things to pick up as stuff that the prices police miss, but it gets annoying some times.

Yeah, stay cool. As Eazy sez, there is a ****-load of rich people, or heirs of rich people (which makes them rich people), donating ****, too much **** for the 99 percent to keep up with--if the 99 percent could even recognize it. They cannot. And why? Because the 1 percent won't pay a decent wage to the 78 percent, or whatever it is, to stand guard at the donation intake to say, hey, this is RLPL, this is the Big H, this is whatever is worth a lot to you and I and the other 32 percent or whatever it is, and so let's sell it for what it is actually worth. In other words, what goes around comes around: By paying barely minimum wage, they lose out (if it was me running thrift stores, I'd pay bounties to folks who plucked grails from the bins, but what do I know). Part of me says, if the Lords Of The Thrift Stores ran **** right, we'd all be screwed. The other part says, there's just so much ****, no one can keep up.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
LOL, DM is live blogging his hauls.

28379168.jpg

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone spots a size 42 - 44 L or R chesterfeild that's double breasted get at me.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Level 15 Hardcore Wasteland Badass,
Taker of Novac, Hero to Goodsprings,
Bane of the NCR, Ceasar's Legion on the run,
Two followers, one hot lesbian girlfriend follower,
addicted to stimpaks, mentats, and wine,
AWOL from the Brotherhood, 400 unread thrift posts,
and NEW VEGAS WILL FALL. :slayer:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[/SPOILER]

Here's the NOS shooz I found the other day. Notice the bevelled pegged waist on the sole. Gotta be from the 50's or 60's. Cap? Thoughts?

Those shoes were 50s or very early 60s made by Alden I believe. I had a similar pair.

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking of marsupialed goodwill prices, this is what a local GW is charging, $29 bucks for some beat to **** ck creation, and $50-75 stafford suits are not uncommon:

Lets hope they haven't discovered Kiton yet and they price that at $5.99.

Pawz

Reaction score
Lets hope they haven't discovered Kiton yet and they price that at $5.99.

How much will you pay me to keep the Goodwill ignorant?

I will systematically contact every Goodwill in America to enlighten them of their pricing follies unless I am handsomely compensated by StyleForum to maintain my silence. ;)

mrdeep2001

Reaction score
How much will you pay me to keep the Goodwill ignorant?
I will systematically contact every Goodwill in America to enlighten them of their pricing follies unless I am handsomely compensated by StyleForum to maintain my silence.
wink.gif
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you keep your mouth shut, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks NOVA for leaving me some stuff this weekend. Only was able to stop at one store

My buddy's drunk ass sister backed the neighbor's jacked up F350 into my wife's car. The girl didn't have insurance and didn't have permission to be driving the neighbor's truck. The worst part is, I have known her since we were kids and she didn't even apologize to me or my wife...or help clean up the mess.

My wife and I took 3 of our best friends along for their first thrift store experience. They all left with stuff, and had a great time...don't worry they aren't into the stuff we are into, and don't really have time to go regularly.

Alden Full Strap 681 for Brooks Brothers 12 C

Alden Tassel 660 9 D

Brooks Brothers Houndstooth SC 48R

Brooks Brothers 3/2 Blue and Brass 36S (sorry guys, I totally forgot I didn't show this before and it already got bids overnight)

Neiman Marcus Harris Tweed 44R

Gant Harris Tweed Brown Herringbone 42R

Vintage Glen Plaid Tweed 42R

Old Label Hickey Freeman Wool/Mohair Blue and Brass 42R

Thick and Heavy Irish Tweed Coat 42R

JAB Harris Tweed 44R

Vintage Lord Baltimore Tweed 36R

I think I showed this one already
Lounge Tweed 46R

Salvatore Ferragamo Suede Monk Cap Toe 9.5 D

Southwick Herringbone Tweed 3/2 42L

Velvet Brass Button Smoking Coat 38S

Last edited:

steveoly

Reaction score
A little late but odds are its Attolini or Partenopea. It looks fairly modern. Any chance there is a small tag hiding in the cell phone pocket? Also what do the sleeve button holes look like? Are they faux stitched but stitched all the way through to the inside of the sleeve (like you could cut them and make them functional?)

It was awhile ago, but HandersHund, you should consider going to the South. Hit up Austin and NOLA, you could swing by Houston easily and from there Dallas or San Antonio if you wanted. I'd def do SA NOLA and Austin.

Oh yeah, I hit like 7 Stores in Little Rock, AR the past 2 days cause I was seeing my little brother, and all I go was this ****** t-shirt. BADASS sportcoat.
There are NO makers tags :( is there any possible way I could figure out who made this? Since no content, Im guessing that its a predominantly linen/silk blend. It may just be super baller linen. 42R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics