1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I'd personally pass....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

4. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Cool tie. It's something I'd wear 3x a summer, but it's also something I'd look forward to wearing...exactly what I want from thrift prices :)

5. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

More thrift synergy as the bears continue to come out of hibernation. I might have to try this myself. Thermal Polo Bear hoodie.

[​IMG]

Not sure if there's any relationship between Lilly Pulitzer and Burt but apparently, there's high dollar Lilly Pulitzer stores all over the place. It's marked a petite medium but SWMBO says it's too small for her. I hate women's clothes.

[​IMG]

Oh, and I crossed a line today. :embar: I bought a pair boxer shorts. :crazy: Out of the package. :uhoh: On a hanger. I'm 97% certain they are NWOT and never been worn. There's still that 3%.

6. SparklesMcFadden

SparklesMcFadden New Member

First post here. Been lurking for quite some time, and still got a hell of a lot to learn. :confused:

I've just been stopping at some thrift stores on the way home from work lately, and my finds so far aren't great compared to a lot of stuff posted here, but for a poor like me, they're decent. Plus, I've apparently got Nataku to compete with here in the Twin Cities, so... :p

First find, a Hugo Boss suit, size 36R. One of the only suits I've come across so far without pleated pants! It looks like HB isn't considered that great around here, but for $14, it'll do. Fits me pretty well, and it's a lot nicer than the old Mens Wearhouse stuff I just got rid of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Closeup of the fabric:
    [​IMG]

Second, 2007 J Crew corduroy jacket, size small.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, a Harris Tweed jacket. No size tag, but it fits right, though I'm probably going to have the buttons switched out for some dark grey horn ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

One more crap brag. I sometimes need to work on repairs to some properties or fiddle with the car and such. Out of all the shoes in the collection that I have amassed, there's none that I care to wear and damage when I do this kind of work. A couple of weeks ago, I had to wear a pair of Timberland hiking boots to replace a water heater. :facepalm:

I found these Johnston and Murphy split toe boots. Leather uppers and inners. Vibram like soles. Made in Italy. Work beaters with style!

[​IMG]

8. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Let's not let that blazer get ignored. It's a beauty. I have one identical and it's everything you could want in a classic blazer. Patch pockets, soft, natural shoulders, quality construction. In a word, timeless. It's old 346, which is a world away from the current outlet crap. Very nice pickup, and the HF isn't bad, either.

9. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Double breasted cardigans have been big the past couple of AW seasons, actually. I'm not a huge fan of them personally, but I have come across them a number of times.

10. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Senior member

Woah that's some hardcore thrifting and a line i have yet to cross. Guess it is a mental thing because i'm sure someone at one point went commando in a pair of jeans or pants I have thrifted anyway.

11. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

[​IMG] NO THRIFT PIC!!

And I thrifted this cool J Crew today

[​IMG]

12. DanM

DanM Senior member

[​IMG]

But seriously, I totally agree...

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

[​IMG] It's on like Donkey Kong, now! @Brian: That J Crew is incredible!

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

A fit pic might follow tomorrow morning. Are you sure you want to click on this thread?

Fresh! The fabric has that "just out of the package" feel.
    [​IMG]

Inside out. No skids or telltale yellowing.
    [​IMG]

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Sexy!!
    Yep, the old 346 are really nice

16. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Worst choice of words by me in this thread, EVAR!

[​IMG]

17. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I'm going to say this gently.

You have some serious issues. That you would thrift a pair of boxers is bad enough. That they are JAB is even worse. That you would boast about it is, well, I'm not sure what it is, but it isn't normal.

I have thrifted a pair of boxers, but they were J. Crew and brand new, still in the package. I once thrifted a pair of woolen boot socks that I was positive were new, but I cleaned them anyway before wearing. I have thrifted Derek Rose silk pajamas. But boxers? To save, what, $5? Whoa.

My mother wears thrifted underwear and boasts about it. My mother also has a switch on her hot-water heater so that you have to plan 45 minutes in advance before washing your hands or doing the dishes. She figures it saves her about $10 a month in electricity. Maybe you should go thrifting with her. That's a haul I'd love to see. Or maybe not.

18. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I don't know, to me it's all about where you set your parameters. Obviously, yours are set at a different yard line than his.

19. hucklecat

hucklecat Senior member

Found some good stuff today but I really like this one

[​IMG]

Oops, in my excitement I didn't care it is a womens early 1950's "49er"
    [​IMG]

Also in my excitement didn't notice it was missing one of these 1" MOP buttons. Any ideas where one could be acquired?
    [​IMG]

20. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.