The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

My cobbler does it for free. You can also buy the tools for a cheap amount...all you need is the liquid and some stretchers. The liquid comes in a little red bottle in the US (someone remind me of the name?!) and the stretchers are easy. They're the ones with the crank, about $10/piece. Keep in mind that it will give you width and never length!

2. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Senior member

They have a mix of stuff. New and Used. Its very overpriced and the reason being is that they're price research isnt done properly. It appears that they simply Google brand names along with the garment type and go off of the first result it spits at em.

There are deals to be had here but its definatley more of a headache than rewarding. Ive walked into this specific store a handful of times and have never walked out of there with anything because things I found that wouldve been flippable were beat up and otherwise a waste of time.

Conclusion: Dont waste your time stopping here. Just hit the regular shops.

3. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

is it possible to get height? that is where it seems tightest, the length and width are fine but it is tight on the top of my foot?

4. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Senior member

Ive thought about volunteering to see how it all works but I wouldnt wanna be stuck running register or doing shit work. If I go in, I want to be able to sit on my ass in the back room and price shit. Oh, and you better believe id be dibbin' on the good shit.

5. HansderHund

That sounds like every shop in my city. It's a pain in the ass. I found a nice (read: not great) Burberrys trench for women at a store. The price? €45. I have no idea where they found that price, but it is only fair for someone that wants a used jacket at that price. I can find something far better for a better price at any consignment shop/ebay/willhaben.at, etc. That alone pisses me off...pricing off a brand rather than its value.

6. HansderHund

Instead, why don't you volunteer your time towards a charity in need. I'm sure there is a local women's shelter that needs some help. This has nothing to do with thrifting, rather the fact that you may as well do something with your time/energy rather than it being wasted. :D

7. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I just had it one (in Canada) for $12.
    He said you'll get width but not length. The stretchers work by pushing out, but maybe he'll have some with some height he can use

8. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

I agree on dibbing good shit, but sometimes I stop the whole flow of good stuff like 8 nwt's j crew selavage jeans come in and I snatch them all up :/ and where I volunteer you have to work up to register so you just do pricing the whole time XD

9. concealed

concealed Senior member

New England

10. HansderHund

My wife is big on that. We drove from (roughly) Illinois to NYC a couple of years ago, what are some good stopping points??

11. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

oh I work at plenty of actual charities, like soup kitchens and habitat for humanity and a local woman's shelter, I have like hundreds of hours a year, I volunteer at thrift stores partly for personal gain partly for college apps [​IMG]

12. HansderHund

No worries, I was just referring to jamiebryant when he said he wouldn't want to be stuck at a register. No accusations in place!

13. concealed

concealed Senior member

Go past NYC and continue north along the coast, tons of great small towns, American history, bed and breakfasts, great thrifts, good food. Visit Boston, Portsmouth, NH, and Portland, ME.

14. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

Sorry, the wife has my weekend on lock down so if I am able to get out it will not be until later Sunday.

In other news, I picked up a Jos A Bank tuxedo for my James Bond Halloween costume. The sleeves are about a half inch too long, but it will work for a one night thing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

15. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

They will stretch for sure! Mine were a little tight and now after trees fit perfect

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.