1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Not surprised I'm not on the list.
    Then again I'm more the avid reader than poster. Even if I thrift 4 days a week, just don't have time to get pics up with my busy schedule.
    Post on!!

2. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

+1....
    Not to [​IMG], but quite a few members here like BB shirts as a staple, particularly the slim fit or ESF, luxury line, or cotton/cashmere blends, which are more rare to find- they are also usually the only ones posted .....
    Nice haul [​IMG]...I thrifted that exact same Hermes shirt (1st and only for me also) a month or so ago, same size, same metal cuff buttons.....
    Very cool, Dig, Thanks for putting this together!!! I'm surprised I'm actually on there, don't feel like I've been posting much at all lately, but been trying to keep up w/ the postings....Keep it up, guys!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Take a wild guess.

4. eazye

eazye Senior member

Still in the top 10!

5. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

So you just told the IRS your going to be claming an extra approx $24,000 on your tax return this year of pure thrift profit. Nice
    I guess you could considering this thrift bragging.....

6. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Nat, those shorts are right on trend with S/S 13 Engineered Garments. I suggest wearing them...not in Minnesota.

Ex:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. eazye

eazye Senior member

Here's some pedestrian finds for you guys, something I didn't know I needed, Gitman Bros yellow gingham with button down collar and smoked MOPS's. Perfect for the spring, but which begs the question, what to pair it with?
    [​IMG]
    And I don't really give a shit it these aren't Drakes. As someone who actually likes looking at clothes and especially cool patterns, I thought I'd share. Matching NWT Grant Thomas silk and wool scarfs. Suck it haters!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To round out my shitty post, I'll just leave this here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also got some vintage 60's BB shirts with the unlined collar and the perfect roll, but I know you guys don't want to see those. We now return to the regularly scheduled bitch fest.

1 person likes this.
  8. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Whattup bros. I'm out from under my rock, temporarily, and in moderation. I've even gone to a few thrifts in the last week or so - been a long time since I could get out on a regular basis.

Anyway, I wasn't going to post until I had something worth taking pics of, but reading over the unfathomable number of posts lately lead me to believe that I'd be welcome back in the community even without pics! I did manage to find a couple of pairs of flat front Zanellas (actual flat front, not "flat front Zanellas" and a cardi that I'll be sporting in the evenings for the rest of the heating season. Pics later maybe, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I'm back, reading off and on, and thrifting occasionally.

(oh yeah, TyphoidJones, if you're looking to unload any 10.5 E ... :hide: )

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

Have you seen the new Kiton redheads out for SS13? Nice.

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Still in the top 20 but I slipped. Need to start posting more finds and telling crap stories like my boy Kloober.

11. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

I agree with this as well...I think most of us spend too much time looking at random clothing items during the day at thrifts, we don't always want to be looking at consistantly online; it's good to break it up every once in a while.

A sidetrack topic; what cool non-clothing items have you purchased with thrifted funds? I know many of us are married with children, so thrifting funds are usually the only way we can convince the significant other of the non-essential purchases. I'll start off with mine:

1978 Honda CB750 (not pictured yet, currently getting modded with thrifted funds too!)
    Omega SMP 9300

[​IMG]

12. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

NF Cord Hiking Pants, 32S:
    [​IMG]

NWOT Bonobo Traveler 35x34
    [​IMG]

A bunch of ties:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bow ties are BB, which is a first for me. I NEVER find bow ties, much less vintage brooks brothers.

Orvis 3/2 Blazer, with rain coat type fabric 44R
    [​IMG]

Harris Tweed, not sure on size:
    [​IMG]

VRTG BB 3/2, 43R (I think?)
    [​IMG]

13. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

Recent BB blazer, 42R if I remember right:
    [​IMG]

BB Country Club Loro Piana w/ Vanderbuilt University buttons 43R
    [​IMG]

Aquascutum Glen Plain suit, not sure on size:
    [​IMG]

VTG Woolrich shirt/jacket, M:
    [​IMG]

VTG LL Bean 3/4 Jacket 44
    [​IMG]

Like new Timberland snow boots for me:

[​IMG]

Armani Collezioni Shawl Collar Dinner/Tux Jacket, not sure on size:
    [​IMG]

14. messenger309

messenger309 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Florshiem long wings.

Did I goof picking these up?

15. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

Is there a guide we can use for Florsheim and Dacks shoes? Many were made here in Canada, so it's common to see them in the thrifts here. What identifiers should we look for? Are they pick-ups for personal use only, or do they have much currancy? I don't want to pick up any pairs if there isn't much interest for trades and stuff.

16. grendel

grendel Senior member

Nice! I had a 1981 Nightwawk CB750 in college

Well... I bought a cognac harness leather briefcase by Frank Clegg on eBay last night

I also thrifted this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. grendel

grendel Senior member

They should be heavy as hell and have like 100 nails and a v-cleat in the heel for the good ones. Also 5 nails in the waist of the sole (3 on one side, 2 on the other)

18. eazye

eazye Senior member

Nice Grendal, I've been looking for something similar for awhile now.

19. eazye

eazye Senior member

Good to see your back in action, sort of and still holding down the fort in the Mill.
    In other news, thrifted an Ipod dock and a vintage Eddie Bauer glen plaid wool tie, made in the USA, not pic worthy though. :hide:

20. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Nice watch!

I can never look at watches without removing an image burned into my head. My brother is totally eccentric. He had a nice surfing watch with a Velcro strap. One day he calls me to the lounge and asks me where do I think his watch is. I scan around, nope nothing, he aint wearing it. Then he drops his pants and says check this out. Yup, he had the watch strapped around his cock.

I always imagined a hypothetical exchange in the street, i.e.

Gentleman: “Excuse me sir, could you please let me know what time it is”.

I wonder what a random stranger would have thought if my brother whipped his dong out of his zipper and then told him the time.

Anyway that watch incident in the lounge scarred me :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.