1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Found a pair of like new, black, pebble grained Nettleton (USA) gunboats in 10D. Marked $15 but it's 25% off for seniors today.

Now what do I wear them with? No black shoes with denim. :(

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

3. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

EDIT: Fueco, that Samuelsohn is probably very well made of nice fabric; all Samuelsohns are. The styling is just a little bit dated - the button stance is on the '90s-ish low side. Both the breast pocket and the lower pockets are set relatively low on the jacket. I understand your frustration; these are subjective judgments and the differences can be subtle. On button stance, I'd look for a top button (on a 2-button jacket) at or above where the wearer's natural waist would be. It's difficult to give hard numbers on this or the rise or the thighs issue because the measurements will vary so much depending on size. Sometimes quality doesn't translate into desirability. Samuelsohn makes great stuff, but it just isn't well known or in high demand. It's frustrating because it makes you feel like you ought to be able to sell something this nice, but it's just the way it is. I only pick up Sammys for myself now (I have a couple); the last few I've tried to flip haven't been worth the effort.
    GMMcL responded pretty well already on what to look for as marks of quality. Tom James is not necessarily crap; like GMMcL and I said, some of it is very good indeed. But in my experience (in three different areas of the country), the nothing-special TJ outweighs the good TJ 100 to 1, at least.
    +1
    Tom James, Jack Victor, Daniel Cremieux, and Jos Bank can be fine-to-good quality, yes. But the vast majority of it that we see in thrift shops is either crap or nothing special at best. Not worth picking up to sell, because it won't, and (for me, increasingly) often not worth picking up to keep because something nicer will come along soon. I've never seen a Isaia-for-Cremieux secondhand. I've never seen a Jos Bank Sig Platinum seconhand. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 Tom James by Oxxford. If Fueco or anyone else knows what the good stuff is and can filter out the other stuff, more power to them. But for those who still have a lot to learn, "Most Tom James isn't worth your time" is perfectly fine and true guidance. After a few months at this, your hands and eyes learn to spot quality fabric and construction without needing to reference labels.
    VERY nice!! I love that suit. Conventional wisdom would say that your shirt and suit have stripes too close in scale, but for some reason I think it works well in this case.
    Agreed. I've been weeding out the stuff that doesn't fit well over the last few months. I'm an 11.5D, BTW... :hide:

4. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

^ don't confuse styling with quality. something can be well-made but horribly dated. pinch test, pick stitching, etc focus on whether something is well-made. the other stuff (gorge, button stance, amount of shoulder padding) are related to whether or not an old jacket looks old.

i'd rather have a modern-looking hugo boss than a 70's looking brioni, but that's just me. even a lot of stuff from the 90's (including a lot of what gets posted here) already looks outdated.

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Perhaps the problem is just how few people I actually see wearing suits around here. Perhaps in New York you still see a ton of people wearing suits on the street. But when I see someone wearing a suit around town, they stand out regardless of how dated their suit might be. Most of current fashion appears to my eyes as crap. But maybe I tend towards the traditional?

6. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

tape measure ftw.
    I found one at the dollar store!
    win

7. katch

katch Senior member

I have done this. I sold off about 10 pair of Aldens, Allen Edmonds, Church's, Peal etc. I've realized that even if the shoes are my size, the previous owners feet are slightly different. I used my proceeds to buy a pair of Alden cordovan captoe boots. They are fantastic and well worth having over 10 pair of slightly ill fitting shoes. It doesn't matter how nice the shoes are, if they don't fit, they don't fit....

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Nice fit... Those shoes look good on you. [​IMG]

9. NJMichael

NJMichael Member

Have been significantly more selective with my thrift picks. Picked up these jeans yesterday for $10.00 - Diesel Zatiny 08EY NWT, Made in Italy. They are 33 x 32 so not my size and I will be flipping them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The thrift store right by my office has a pretty steady stream of decent shirts and ties and I have slowly been replacing what I have at home with some great Brooks Brothers, Armani and Zegna ties. I picked up a Thomas Pink seven fold tie that I am going to have cleaned and then will be flipping, a bit bulky for me. If anyone is interested let me know.

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

11. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Dilemma: I just spent a not-insignificant amount of cash on a bike yesterday thinking that I would, for sure, be returning the Hickey Freeman blazer on its way to me from STP. That would free up $380 and would make the bike expenditure a little more reasonable.

But the blazer arrived, and it's pretty awesome.

Here's a pick in a fresh-out-of-the-box, rumpled-to-hell state.

Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

It's a half-canvassed "Lindsey" model and seems pretty damn recent.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. grendel

grendel Senior member

It doesn't sound like you wear tailored clothes, you seem more the outdoorsy, SW&D type. Wearing it helps with identifying the quality.

13. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

On the topic of she purging I am consistently dissapointed in how most of my shoes vary in fit (besides sneakers which are basically just shapeless footpillows) the only properly fitting shoes I own are thrifted Alden's in 11.5 b/d and a j crew knockoff of rm williams boots in 12 I am constantly trading and selling shoes to get the "right" pair so if anyone is in the market for frye boat shoes 11.5 j crew suede loafers 11.5 white bucks 12 deerskin moccasins 11.5 or leather chukkas 13 all in us sizing get at me so I can buy what I really what aka Rick dunks (jk ll bean camp mocs johdpurs)

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

IMO would look 100x better with a solid white or pale blue shirt. Nice suit though.

1 person likes this.
  15. concealed

concealed Senior member

Beautiful blazer, looks great on you, and I would hope it would be "recent" considering it is brand new from a retailer.

1 person likes this.
  16. grendel

grendel Senior member

+1

I've come to realize that the Aberdeen last from Alden doesn't work for me and I don't wear my shell Alden tassel loafers because they don't fit well. The shoes I want are damned expensive though.

17. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

It's from Sierra Trading Post, which I've heard is a crapshoot, so I don't think recent, recent was a given.

18. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Well, I paid above thrift prices for these even though I got them at the local SA, but they are worth it. These things have never been laced up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. katch

katch Senior member

Speaking of Aberdeen last. I was told tomorrow is a brooks brothers 30% off with corporate discount card. I've had my eye on the tassels since I've given up on thrifted loafers. I purchased them on pre sale and they applied the 30% off!!!! It was the first question I asked since I was trying to pull a fast one over on them since cordovan is never on sale there. They ordered my size (and the 2 others that are closest to it) and they're being overnighted. I hope at least 1 of them fit. Damn Aberdeen last...

20. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

9.5D guys, I found a pair of once or twice worn (I am not exaggerating) Florshiem Imperial Longwings. They are 5 nail/v-cleat in black pebble grain. Outside of the new Polo RL made by C&J...they are the nicest shoes I've ever found.

They seem a bit wide on me so I'd consider a sale/trade to a regular.

Pictures to come tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.