1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Cum Rag? I've had good luck flipping Mastai Feretti.

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I'm going to swim against the tide just a bit. I like the tie. I like the rest of the fit. I don't like the tie with this fit, though for the following two reasons:
    1. SF has drummed it into my head that one does not wear a tie with jeans. Business up top and party down below is not coherent.
    2. That button down shirt probably has a sick collar roll which is greatly compromised by being buttoned at the neck and cinched against your throat with the tie.
    I say lose the tie and then go ye forth and bed wenches. :slayer:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  3. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

I was considering it but ultimately left almost all behind. There was 20-30 bright patterned Ferragamos, a bunch of BB Makers, a Zegna or two and a couple of others. Grabbed the only two that weren't terrible for myself to see what I could do:

[​IMG]
    Cotton BB Makers

[​IMG]
    Turnbull & Asser

Made a few stops today at some parts of town I don't usually hit up but nothing much of anything. Both of these available

[​IMG]
    Brooks Brothers Made In Italy belt, seems NWOT with the BB logo written over in marker. 34.

[​IMG]
    Polo cotton blazer, breast pocket and vent still basted shut. 42R but feels a little more like a long

Spent all day with the lady at the mall then so too tired to take any good pictures it seems.

4. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

To all those that I have no replied to and / or still have not shipped stuff too :facepalm: I finally have some time free Monday onwards. The mad crazy awful rush is over PHEW! I have not done thrifting for yonks, I wonder if those Thom Browne suits will still be there after 2 weeks. Will be hitting that store tomorrow but wont be holding my breath. I did find an old skeet blanket in a thrift pile at home, most awesomest polo skeet I ever saw. I have now used it for its appropriate purpose, anyone fancy pics of good ol Robert Graham :lol: I will be replying to PM's tomorrow or next day, I got to get me some shut eye have slept sparingly the last week prob will get a good 12 hours and get up in a timely manner to start hitting some thrift stores............
    I have always found red to be a brutal color to match with anything. Tough tough color kudos for trying dude ;)

5. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Quick teaser pic of today's ridonkulous find. I haven't been thrifting in nearly two months. Hope to get out more frequently...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

So to go along with Randomore's post, it appears my haul was the pre-game show.

A good number of shirts I picked up yesterday had the string still around a button where a tag once hung. Today, there were tags. Lots and lots of tags.

1 person likes this.
  7. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Yeah, no go on the tie with jeans. I will also submit that preppy cardigan with sneakers doesn't really go either.
    There's no easy way to say this, but... those pants look like they have a vagina.

1 person likes this.
  8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

We (apparently) mourn the loss today (ok, recently) of an incredibly rich sartorial giant with phenomenal taste.

Dibs my size. :hide:

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

HFS, I literally just spat martini ALL over my screen. This is so effing funny.

10. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Dude it does... That made me laugh so hard

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Quoting myself:

SPOO! PLEASE CHECK IN!! AND CONFIRM YOU WEREN'T ROBBED IN LA!!!

1 person likes this.
  12. mb0893

mb0893 Active Member

so after seeing these hauls from LA today, I guess it's pretty safe to say that Miami is shit for thrifting. [​IMG]

13. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

:lurk: pre-dibs if p2p is 21.5"ish

14. sanchito

sanchito Well-Known Member

Style points given for using el Puma as your avatar.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Holy jeez! WTF is going on out there?!
    This is the Columbia to look out for, guys! Nice find! Very early stuff, I'd say early 70's to about 1978-79.
    :lurk:
    FTFY.

16. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

+1. I would have thought my area would be good. I nearly had a heart attack when I found ONE Barba. These dudes pulled in DOZENS.

What.

Du.

Fug.

17. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Thanks for that info. I thought the same thing too. It has a Canadian sales tag in it with French on it so probably the latter part of that span since I don't think we had bilingual labelling until at least the mid-70s.

18. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

I found this the other day for myself. The union tag indicates it was made in the late 60's. It's a twill-weave wool and has side vents.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

What if it's a super casual tie with whimsical patterns? I've always dig the jeans with SC look.

Oh yeah, [​IMG]

20. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

I'm not going to comment on whether or not its acceptable to wear the tie cardigan jeans combo. But I will say this: if you're gonna rock the skinny tie, wear a shirt with a correspondingly small collar/wide collar. That collar just swallows up the tie.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.