• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mox C

Reaction score

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To preface, one of the Goodwills here decided this rack below would be a great way to display their ties, so all the labels are hidden behind the rack and you have to pull every tie out to see what it is.

I actually like this. My tie method is to go through and see if there is a tie that looks like I'd wear it. If there is, then I check the label. I've seen way too many ties I'd never wear (because they're ugly as sin) that had impressive labels.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well here's one I've never heard before:

Dear etho781,
This is my fathers account and he had a medical emergency...he has sickle cell...and he said to make sure I get on here today and check on the items he bid on...he should be out of the hospital by next Wednesday and you will promptly receive payment....Sorry for the inconvenience
- neonbeyond

Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply
Respond
Are you ******* kidding me???? This is after I sent a message to the buyer today......5 days after the auction ended.
I would give them the benefit of the doubt. I got a similar one a few months back. There is an inspiring thread about it here.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?63730-Heart-attack-Chief000731-Carl

It was amazing to see a forum "family" react to the circumstances.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well here's one I've never heard before:

Dear etho781,
This is my fathers account and he had a medical emergency...he has sickle cell...and he said to make sure I get on here today and check on the items he bid on...he should be out of the hospital by next Wednesday and you will promptly receive payment....Sorry for the inconvenience
- neonbeyond

Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply
Respond
Are you ******* kidding me???? This is after I sent a message to the buyer today......5 days after the auction ended.

Unfortunately, life doesn't stop just because you bid on something on eBay. I'd hang with the guy for a while.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
Damn 330. Sick haul :slayer: that montipoli suit .......:nodding:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a lark, stopped by one store here last night. They have that hanging-up tie arrangement too, actually - it's a pain **********. Especially because it makes it near impossible to tell at a glance which ties are new and which aren't (because the color is hidden). GAH.

Anyway, this store has been jacking prices hard and fast, so I paid a lot for the coat, but the shirt was only 2.99, cheaper than Walmart-brand shirts, so I can't complain. I have no idea where the once-in-a-while random RLPL finds are coming from around here, because there has never been a store that sold it (other than Filene's). The best part? The shirt is my size, though I'm still undecided if the sleeves are long enough to work or not.

Apologies for the ****** pics, I'm trying to get back into this a little bit as my schedule allows - I have a huge backlog of stuff I haven't even mentioned here, from the period April-now. Unfortunately no Hermes overcoats ;)

Polo RL toggle coat - size L, 100% wool, available
IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

RLPL shirt, n/a
IMG_7530.JPG

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me too. After seeing that post, I did some searching for "seal skin" and "sealskin" on eBay and sadly netted Gornisht mit Gornisht.

I'm not sure if anyone's seen a thread on SF from a lady who had some seal skin shoes made by Dacks that she tried to post on ebay. (The leather was kind of wrinkly and wavy - didn't do it for me at all). They sent her a cease and desist order.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I was wondering why it was taking SOOO long to load the page this morning.... and then I was wondering when your post was every going to end.
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

By far my fav item!!! I assume you're a car guy? Most people wouldnt know the name.

Most definitely. I love finding automobilia in thrifts. Now if only I could find the Ettinger for Bentley or Asprey for Ferrari stuff in a thrift...

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

In a bit of a drought right now but I did find something interesting.
Most of you have probably haven't seen a pair of seal skin boots. They have silver/grey translucent 1/2" fur all over. I've worn some in -40 and they keep your feet are toasty. These were hugely popular in Canada in the 1960s and 1970s.
These were $9.99. If anyone wants to run a PETA gauntlet, get at me. They're about an 8.
file-110.jpg

I actually liked these a lot and they'd probably fit. I showed them to my wife as she passed and she asked from which animal they were made. I told her and she gave me the saddest possible look. I'm not sure how she'd feel if I brought them home.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt. I got a similar one a few months back. There is an inspiring thread about it here.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?63730-Heart-attack-Chief000731-Carl

It was amazing to see a forum "family" react to the circumstances.

I just read the entire thread. Really interesting to see the outreach. If I ever end up in the hospital [knock on wood], I'll have my wife post something as well.

zeek4life

Reaction score
I have a question or dilemma for the thread,Is it worth picking up Calvin Klein pieces now Since I see a lot of It in thrift stores recently? If so What do I look out for? Thanks in advance

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Dad, look at this? Brioni"

My son picked up a Brioni today for $3.99 to flip on Ebay.
I guess when he gets his license I won't even have to
go out anymore =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads