1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

Spoo, I think I know the type of bread to which you are referring. This is a class of bread which pops up in variation throughout Latin America, for example in Colombia. If you're into that, I wonder if you might try yucca-bread. In fact, I wonder if that is what you had, since yucca-bread is also often made with cheese. There's a chain of Brazilian steakhouses, Fogo de Chao, which serves them. The place itself is pretty overpriced in my opinion for what you get, but the bread is unlimited with the meal and is on-par. I thought they had one in NYC, but it appears the nearest ones to you are in Philadelphia and Boston, though they also have a Miami location... Also, because other Latin American groups have similar breads, I suspect you would probably be able to find a hole-in-the-wall somewhere in Queens that has comparable offerings.

Anyway, just trying to open up more options for you given your preference.
    P.S. Thank you Klobber for this infinitely more tasteful thread derail.

2. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Nat, I had a similar experience as well. My fiance and I went to a abandoned hill at night to see the stars and view. As we reached the top we saw what looked like a man sitting down looking at the view. As we got closer I noticed I could not make out any details, it was as if he was a shadow... My fiance was spooked, I went closer and called out to it. It turned its head and we saw what appeared to be almost like a flickering candle light where each eye was supposed to be. The thing melted away into the shadows, we freaked out and left.

That night and every night for a couple weeks, things moved in the shadows, sounds were herd, and a presense was felt.

One night the extreme pressure on my chest thing happened. (sorry) I sleep nude, so when I was able to get the thing off and I got up gasping for air. She saw markings all over my chest and neck of what looked like something putting their hands on my neck and weight on my chest.

She made me apologize to it for calling out to it and we never herd anything again.

Queue spooky music.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Up way late. Worst red-wine hangover I've had since college.

4. Stissius

Stissius Well-Known Member

Haven't posted in a while because I haven't been able to make it out much, but I went out today and found some cool things.

Most notably, a Sawyer of Napa for Saks shearling coat IN MY SIZE! Also first Kiton thing ever, a pink striped shirt. Pictures to come later

For now, can anyone help me out with a camera question? I saw a Samigon 62mm macro focus lens today for $15 but I have no idea about lenses etc. It felt and looked pretty quality and I imagine it was fairly expensive, but I probably couldn't tell a quality lends from a cheap one, and I don't know a broken lens from a working one. Can anyone that knows more about cameras and things tell me if I made a mistake by leaving it?

5. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH

seriously though, i looooove that place, especially the garlic picanha (IMO the filet mignon is for suckers and tourists) and the aforementioned cheese bread. the lunch (i think $39) isn't super out of this world expensive, especially considering that you won't have to eat again for the rest of the day. :slayer:

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ +1. One of my favorite restaurants. Amazing for being a chain. The cheese bread is to die for. My favorite is the bacon wrapped chicken (I forget what they called this).

Wow, that's spooky! Seeing that would give me nightmares for a good year.

7. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

If you are referring to a Churriscaria (spelling?), there is a chain here that is similar (Texas De Brazil). I think the food is great too. They always send a BOGO coupon for birthdays so it really comes out to a great deal for two. The meat is a little salty, but I love that since I have extremely low blood-pressure and am actually prescribed 2 gram salt increase daily...lol

8. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Since we are talking about creepy stories, I, too, have one. This happened to me when I was in pre-school in China. I think I was no more than 4 or 5 years old. How do I still remember this incident? Well, it's because it was so vivid that I can still remember like it were yesterday.

Anyhow, throughout my early childhood years, I lived with a nanny. My parents weren't around to take care of me so I was boarded at my nanny's. I think I was being a brat, shooting paper balls out of my toy gun while my nanny was putting me down for a nap. I was sitting in bed with the comforter over my lap while I refused to sleep and kept shooting my toy gun. The bed was right next to the front door which led to a perpendicular hall way that led to other units. We lived in a very modest unit. It only had a living room which acted as a bed room which led to another smaller room. My nanny freaked out for some reason, ran out of the front door while carrying her infant, leaving the front door open. I didn't mind and kept playing with my toy.

Shortly after, a shadowy humanoid figured while bobbing its head up and down crept slowly into the room, then to the front of my bed, then it approached the left side of my bed. I was frozen and kept staring at it. All of a sudden, my nanny ran into the room with a intense look on her face, baring her teeths while holding her infant. I turned my head to the right to look at her. By the time I turned my head to where the figure was, it had disappeared. Mind you, the only way you can enter and exit the house was through the front door.

The figure I saw was about adult size. It had thin arms. It wore a cloak made out of brown rags and dark colored patches. The cloak looked like it was dragging on the floor. In its left hand, it carried a dark colored bowl like this one.
    [​IMG]
    In its right hand it carried a dark colored cane with a round ornament at the end. Something like this but with a bigger ornament and a completely dark colored walking stick.
    [​IMG]

What was really strange, it had a what it looked like a cardboard box on his head or maybe the box was its head. I wish I could draw an illustration to share with you guys...Anyhow, was it my overactive child imagination or was it hypnagogic hallucination due to sleep deprivation? Was it simply a beggar? I mean both the cane and the bowl are pretty consistent with the Chinese stereotypical beggar. But how do you explain its disappearance so quickly at the speed of me turning my head? Did it hid in the other room? At this point, I do not know. All I know is, I am a man of science. I'm sure there's some perfectly logical explanation to what I experienced. Anyhow, to this point in my life, I haven't really talked much about it. I figured I'll share my story maybe there's someone on here has experienced a similar phenomena or maybe this figure was part of a lore or a legend. What was even stranger, I remembered I was not scared. I was more curious and couldn't kept my eyes off of it until my nanny interrupted me. Maybe one day I'll get some answers. Cheers.

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Well, I once asked a GW to reduce the $85 pricetag on a 35 year old PRL tweed suit that had numerous holes and stains, including a massive urine lake at the crotch. I didn't make a specific number, I just said it was way too high. I was told they would rather throw it out than reduce the price.

That particular GW is why I don't feel bad about negotiating, so long as I'm doing so within reason. Shirts priced at $3? Pay it or shut up. Shirts priced at $40? I view that as an invitation to offer.

I once again welcome you to the thread. Your Ferragamos and maybe -- maybe -- the HF are brag-worthy. Evan Piccone and London Fog are decidedly not. This is going to sound rude but trust that I'm trying to help you pass the crap and pick up the good stuff. Now, anything is fine for personal use. But that toesnt mean you should brag about it here, nor should you be surprised if folks here aren't interested in buying or trading it.
    Again, welcome to the community and enjoy.

10. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Went out for a little yesterday. Nothing too great.

First saw this. Wasn't even that excited following Hans' post. Quality felt pretty nice though but this person got attacked by a lion while wearing it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two NWT Hickey shirts. The Navy one is a great wool sweater polo in my size. The brown is almost a polo-like mesh button down shirt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PRL seersucker Fun shirt

[​IMG]

And I found these Ferragamo cap toes in my size. Quality felt decent for a beater pair (and at the price of $4). They are in very good condition minus a pretty obvious gash on a toe. Any suggestions for minimizing how this shows?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and if anyone wants a proxy, I left this at a store. I know you guys like the brand but its definitely not for the warm climate here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit, yall have some creepy stories. If any of that happened to me...

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Still going, can you make out the Dior on the right? :devil:

[​IMG]

12. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Nothing amazing today, but I got everything cheap, so hopefully it'll make a few bucks.

H. Freeman custom
    [​IMG]

Zanella x2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aquascutum
    [​IMG]

Brooks English
    [​IMG]

Polo RL
    [​IMG]

LL Bean Norwegian sweater
    [​IMG]

13. concealed

concealed Senior member

Pao de quiejo - those things are tasty

My wife is Brazilian so we always frequent Brazilian restaurants/eat Brazilian style at home. A little closer to home for you is Mount Vernon, NY - tons of Brazilian cuisine.

14. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Found a hildritch and key shirt, not worth photographing. Also got 2 ties I e thrifted, another dunhill and my first drakes

15. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

I think, (but am not 100% sure) that most if not all of the "Brooks English" labelled shoes are by Cheaney's
    Awesome fit pic, HH ! Jacket looks familiar.......looking good!

Havent posted in a while, have a few pickups I'll be posting later tonite or tomorrow though....wasnt sure if I should throw up the Spoo signal for this though... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

You aren't too far off with the lion theory!
    Nice haul! Two pairs of opera pumps? Are they the same size? It certainly has to be rare that someone owns two pairs of opera pumps these days!
    Thanks, I love that jacket! It has a great texture to it, thanks again for getting it here! :slayer:

17. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

You aren't too far off with the lion theory!
    Nice haul! Two pairs of opera pumps? Are they the same size? It certainly has to be rare that someone owns two pairs of opera pumps these days!
    Thanks, I love that jacket! It has a great texture to it, thanks again for getting it here! :slayer:

18. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Creepy story time

Once I dreamt I was in the same Value Village -- at the same time -- Klobber sharted.

19. mb0893

mb0893 Active Member

Spoo, are you in Miami??!

20. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

They are different sizes (9C and 10.5C), so not the same owner. But you're right, it is odd. First time I've ever found any opera pumps, and I find two in one day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.