• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got some stuff lately but too lazy to post. But check this out! BR. **** brand but made in Hong Kong with 25% Angora rabbit fur with HUGE ass MOP!!! It's bigger than the damn quarter!!! N/A for my girl.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's made by Coppley, not Samuelsohn. If the article of clothing has a CA number (CA 00750 on yours), you can find the maker using the search tool on the Canadian Competition Bureau website here. The FTC maintains a similar database that you can search here for RN or WPL numbers.

Beat me to the punch. I believe Samuelsohn is CA 00212.
PS I think Coppley makes solid pieces.

First off, I left behind some Bally Toreto loafers, size 13(!). At $40 a bit too much to gamble on. Beautiful construction, soft leather, virtually unworn. If anyone's interested, PM me for a proxy - too wear, not to flip! Like in the next 12 hours or those things will be gone by midday.

A couple of nice pieces this evening:

A welsh houndstooth shooting jacket, perfect for fall. Tons of nice details in the construction. Real leather buttons. No size tag but p2p measures 23.5". Available.
file_zpsebc6fc81.jpg

file_zpsb93239df.jpg

file_zpsc4621a0d.jpg

file_zpsd6cbaa84.jpg

A beautiful Samuleson, tagged 46 L. Fabric is a blue.grey.green (would Benjamin Moore call it Midnight Turquoise?) with a thicker rust coloured vertical line crossed with a thinner horizontal line of what sometimes appears to be a mossy green and at other times appears to be the same colour.
file_zpsb9bbb2e6.jpg

file_zps9b50e149.jpg

file_zps44099e70.jpg

file_zps855b29e4.jpg

A Burberry shirt. Interesting because the label seems to have the size (37S) right on it. It needs the treatment for some mild collar wear. Will probably go to my son.
file_zps6dcb068b.jpg

file_zps8e1e6d10.jpg

Finally, picked up this book for the clothes - which are fabulous - but it's turning into a surprisingly good read.
file_zpsc6d467e7.jpg

Not MC, but my favourite picture so far. Coop with Hemingway:
file_zpse50fe5b2.jpg

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Hmm, the tag sure looked a lot like a newer Canali tag to me. And it was definitely a recent piece, and fully canvassed with pick stitching. Might go back and pick it up... if it's still there.

First of all, big thanks to Klobber for convincing my ignorant ass to go back and grab that Lanvin. Not only was it still there, but its long lost partner had made it out to the party as well. That's right lads, grabbed a Lanvin suit!

Now, as for a maker... I'm really leaning toward Canali (who I understand used to make suits for Lanvin before Caruso).

I also picked up a Baldessarini suit and a Prada orphan that should be workable as an SC if the pants don't turn up. Can anyone help me ID the maker for this one? I'm thinking Cantarelli, based on the labels thread.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time reader first time bragger here. First of let me say this thread has been awesome the past couple days.

Anyways, I don't usually thrift anything brag worthy. That being due to my lack of time to dedicate to thrifting regularly and the fact that I live in a city with a high volume of knowledgable thrifters. That being said I was super surprised when I happened upon this:

Perfect conditon Gant by Michael Bastian Merino V-neck. Believe this is from the f/w 2010 line.

Tagged size L, fits a slim medium (p2p 21") Available if anyones interested although it will probably go to ebay.

Not as bragworthy but I also picked this up:

Ivy-Era Tobacco colored tweed just in time for fall. Fits me pretty well with all the trad dressings: undarted, single vent, 3-2 roll. A couple of small problems. Teeny tiny hole on the right shoulder and one of the hems is coming undone (really easy fix). They don't bug me to much as my wardrobe leans more towards the casual side as I am a college student

Not familar with the brand, my presumption is it was simply a local menswear shop. Maybe somebody local would know the history? TyphoidJones? this seems up your alley!

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, big thanks to Klobber for convincing my ignorant ass to go back and grab that Lanvin. Not only was it still there, but its long lost partner had made it out to the party as well. That's right lads, grabbed a Lanvin suit!

Now, as for a maker... I'm really leaning toward Canali (who I understand used to make suits for Lanvin before Caruso).

I also picked up a Baldessarini suit and a Prada orphan that should be workable as an SC if the pants don't turn up. Can anyone help me ID the maker for this one? I'm thinking Cantarelli, based on the labels thread.

Looks like a Canali label to me.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, didn't intend to hit shops today at all....had an all day conference out of town 2 hours away, had to be up at 5AM, conference went until 4:00PM.

Conference ended at 4 and, of course, I began to feel the familiar itch...

So, in desperate need of some authentication on this one. I've already reached my own conclusion, which I'll withhold until I hear what others have to say:

Another one I'd like verification on...
I've reached my own conclusion less so on this one (and the stakes are much less high).

Alright, now on to the (kind off) normal stuff. Lots of weird finds for me...I guess that's what I get for thrifting in a "weird" (to me, at least) city. *shrugs*

Pretty nice recent FC Paul Stuart shirt (16.5/33 - unavailable for now, pending reply from a braj)

Pringle Scotland SC (either cashmere or camel hair...leaning toward the latter, not sure). Was really stoked about this one - I saw the only Pringle SC I'd ever seen about 5 months back while on vacation, and despite there being nothing wrong with it, i didn't pick it up, and kicked myself for it since (not that it's amazing, just that it was unique). Well, this one is cooler, so I feel vindicated.

Sweet! AE Monks, in primo condition....

Wait...wat.
puzzled.gif

Ah, there it is. Someone put (and glued...ugh) down J&M insoles. Good thing I noticed from the soles alone
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
. Great condition. Only lamer is that the other insole (left foot) is glued down and won't come out without ripping the A&E bottom with it, so it must stay
confused.gif

After that, I got the hell out of dodge and headed toward home. Quickly hit one of my own familiar haunts along the way. Ahhh, wonderful familiarity...

Recent Brooks Bros suit

Ugh. Couldn't leave it; it was the first time I'd seen it in the wild: Brooks Brothers Saxxon/Madison 1818 grey herringbone jacket. Pretty sure it's an orphan, but I'm holding out hope (this store is actually great for orphan matching...the BB suit above was actually an orphan I reunited). So I'm going to keep hitting the shop.

Awesome Brooks Bros houndstooth SC

NWOT/pretty sure unworn Ben Silver BALLER SC. Can't decide whether this is cashmere or cashmere blend. Definitely something more baller than pure wool though. 100% ****, that's for sure.

EDIT: Wow, I think I actually found some versions of the jacket in their current collection (this one is from Feb 2010), except with slightly different check patterns/colors. They're both cashmere: http://www.bensilver.com/Camel-Chocolate-and-Cranberry-Cashmere-Plaid-Jacket,20835.html & http://www.bensilver.com/Black-and-Grey-Plaid-Cashmere-Jacket-with-Teal,20839.html

So, these were the ties that broke the Etsy camel's back: I've been really wanting to make an Etsy account since I have a few things that, quite frankly, would be most appreciated/best suited for there...and then I found these ballers. Any Brooks Bros label experts feel free to chime in *AHEM TYPHOIDJONES, AHEM*, but IIRC, these black label Brooks Bros ties with this script are the old ones from the 1950s/1960s (right???) - it looks like someone from another era donated their entire tie collection. They're all in pristine condition, and the styling of them all leads me to believe they're from that era. Really cool, IMO.

Brooks Bros red pindot x2, Brooks Bros 100% linen, Robert Talbott repp for "The Two Goats", CRAZY WIDE Brooks Bros

J. Press "The Burlington Knot" 80/20 silk/polyester woven in England, Orivs 100% wool made in Scotland x2, Vintage Burberrys', Recent Brooks Bros Makers (the odd man out)

The tiny keeper on the Orvis compared with all the other hulking ties made me think of this, then proceed to lol at myself (bonus if anyone gets the reference without looking it up):

lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I stand corrected - it looks very Canali like.

As for Lanvin model, that is recent'ish. Should stir some interest here or the Bay.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Long time reader first time bragger here. First of let me say this thread has been awesome the past couple days.
Anyways, I don't usually thrift anything brag worthy. That being due to my lack of time to dedicate to thrifting regularly and the fact that I live in a city with a high volume of knowledgable thrifters. That being said I was super surprised when I happened upon this:

Perfect conditon Gant by Michael Bastian Merino V-neck. Believe this is from the f/w 2010 line.

Tagged size L, fits a slim medium (p2p 21") Available if anyones interested although it will probably go to ebay.

:slayer:

NWOT/pretty sure unworn Ben Silver BALLER SC.  Can't decide whether this is cashmere or cashmere blend.  Definitely something more baller than pure wool though.  100% ****, that's for sure.

Wow! That is gorgeous! I've never found anything by Ben Silver besides some shirts and ties. Nice!!

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KEEP!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Looks like it'd be great with ballin' grey flannel pants and some yellow-ish wingtips...or you could rock the plum trousers and troll it up a bit...
decisions.gif

I have no plum trousers and I have no idea what yellow-ish wingtips are...
lol8[1].gif
Maybe something Mark McNairy-ish?

I think it'd work well with jeans or khakis though, but I usually wear my Barbour for that

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pringle Scotland SC (either cashmere or camel hair...leaning toward the latter, not sure). Was really stoked about this one - I saw the only Pringle SC I'd ever seen about 5 months back while on vacation, and despite there being nothing wrong with it, i didn't pick it up, and kicked myself for it since (not that it's amazing, just that it was unique). Well, this one is cooler, so I feel vindicated.

Ahhh man, I'm kicking myself for passing on a similar pair of Hugo Boss jeans cuz I had bought whole bunch of stuff. That Pringle SC is the shitzzzzzzzz, bro! How are the details?

mrdeep2001

Reaction score
Another one I'd like verification on...
I've reached my own conclusion less so on this one (and the stakes are much less high).

I passed on a few pairs of Boss pants as I wasn't too familiar with them, they had a similar leather patch on the back with metal "hugo boss", along with the "hugo boss" tag on the stash pocket. One of the pants were "silk denim", seemed like they could all be legit, but at the price, didn't know if theyd be worth my time as they were a bit on the larger side.

Although the interior tag was a bit different

Last edited:

RebelWithACause

Reaction score
For you guys with questions about jerseys, check jerseycentral.org, lots of info. They flip well but 90% of them are fake, especially mitchell & ness stuff. Be careful.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's made by Coppley, not Samuelsohn. If the article of clothing has a CA number (CA 00750 on yours), you can find the maker using the search tool on the Canadian Competition Bureau website here. The FTC maintains a similar database that you can search here for RN or WPL numbers.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'm not at all familiar with Coppley.

Definitely Coppley. Are you sure its fully canvassed?

It passed the pinch test. That being said, I'm going to return it. No one here bit (probably because no one is that size) and it looks like it's going to be a hassle to sell. Might as well get my money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads