• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpmorris

Reaction score
Typhoid, was it you who ran through OKC not long ago? OR is anyone on here in OKC? I needs some help as ill be in town soon, and plan on running through the local stores like a madman.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone thrift me some chain mail gloves, dammit, am now scared of plunging hands into Hickey Freeman and drawing back a needle...
uhoh.gif

Now I do a squeeze and pat-down, and look inside if able, before plunging a hand in. There was that thing a while back about some nutso planting used hypo's in clothing pockets. Most of the time it's a Kleenex, spare buttons and "inspected by" tags. I still think the guy who found the dentures got the best one yet.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: I wish...but not even close. Some 36s are even too big. Need shoulders at or under 17"

Quote: +1 def Brooks Brothers (it is mainline)

Big shout out to 330CK for hooking me up with a sick pair of RLPL sunglasses! He's a great guy, go buy his stuff.

Now then, it's been a few days since I got back home from Berlin, a city that's amazing for absolutely everything but thrifting (and Thai food). And oh, how I wanted things to have gone better than they did.

Passed on a very recent pinstriped Lanvin (made by Canali)... orphan. Would have bought, but Lanvin looks tough enough to move on Ebay as it is, with the whole diffusion thing. Also passed on a Barbour sport shirt because of low resale and it fit like a tent. And passed on a totally awesome Dunhill jacket with collar damage. Words don't quite work as well as this guy:
baldy[1].gif
+1 on 330CK - great guy!

Jpmorris

Reaction score
lol no, a bag of H is the winner for stuff to find in pockets, the most unexplainable, and the most valuable lol.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First up some ties. UNAVAILABLE
Left: ****** Facconable that unfortunately has been pressed so it doesn't have any body left, noticed after i brought it home
Right: Neat macclesfield by GD Daniels

BR Monogram, not usually a decent brand but great pattern from Thomas Mason fabric. UNAVAILABLE

Brioni 17L - AVAILABLE

Burberry for JP. Like the pattern

comme des garcons - 100% rayon - size L - AVAILABLE

Can anyone give me more insight into why this CdG isn't cotton or silk? Why rayon?

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol no, a bag of H is the winner for stuff to find in pockets, the most unexplainable, and the most valuable lol.

Yeah I think the general consensus is that the H train stopped at Goodwill that day and I happened to catch it by accident...I had a bit of an issue when I lived in Florida - Miami Vice era Florida, so I wasn't about to give it a lick like a MOP button or anything.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone give me more insight into why this CdG isn't cotton or silk? Why rayon?

Fashion knows no boundaries my friend!

Good findings in good ole SF!

What has happened to the small guy and big guy sizes lately? 18 shirts and 46L suitings / SC's have vanished around these parts. I feel like a three legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen pond. Finds have been real sketchy east bay and north bay. Even my favorite high scale spot in Napa has been a dud - wasting too much gas driving around, may just time out and TJMaxx / Outlet mall it for next month or two and wait for it to pick up.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I never understood the older Burberry's lines, Prorsum or non Prosum, beats the crap out of me. In this case though London label in tag is a dead giveaway it is not the Prorsum we seek :laugh:
On the canvassing part: I always thought canvassing was a useful for lapel rolls etc, but I find half canvassed jackets draping just fine. This fully canvassing draping down the sides just makes no bleeding sense to me since they drape well also. I dont geddit :embar:

Thanks. As for canvassing, as a history buff, this is more my area than labels :D. Basically, it's tradition. Before sewing machines, handstitching was the only way to sew. If you're in Boston, go to the Old State House and look at John Hancock's coat (the bright red one he wore for his inauguration as Governor). Get up close, and look at the stitching. It's a very intricately sewn coat, and every bit by hand. Really something remarkable.

Anyway, canvassing evolved, not just for looks, but to help clothes keep shape in an era where fabrics were a lot crappier on average than today, and where hangars didn't exist and everything was stored in drawers. As with shoes made with leather soles, as with sewing, as with mechanical watches, things were done one way because it was the best way with what was available.

Then comes the Holocaust. Tailors in Germany were, as a rule, Jewish. They killed off most of the people who knew how to make a suit jacket properly, so they had to find a way to do it easily and cheaply. To fill that tailoring void, fusing was born. It only came over to the US in the 60's, and wasn't really mature yet. If you cleaned it one time too many, it would separate, and cause an unfixible bubble on the surface of the suit. As a result, it's only used on cheap suits that aren't expected to look too good or last too long.

Now, the technology is mature, and half canvass is a really respectable compromise between the advantages and costs of traditional construction and the value of modern methods. A modern fused garment is actually a really good value these days- thanks to China (ethics aside, and you really don't want me going down the line on Globalization, I could probably crank out 10 pages explaining it and going down the line with various benefits and fallout effects, and nobody wants that right now) you can get high quality fabrics much higher than ever before, and the glues and plastics in the fusing are mature now, and work much better than their predecessors. It's never gonna be as good as real canvassing, but if price is an object, half canvas is probably the best option on the market these days. As an ancillary point, we're in the golden age of cheap clothing here. Never before in human history (well, assuming you're in the first world with the advantages in the exchange rate that gives you) has cheap clothing been as high quality as it is now. The quality of stitching and fabric that even the cheapest clothes have now would have been unthinkable for anyone but the rich not really all that long ago. Not to mention the quantity of clothing each of us can have, without a second thought. One of my college roomates dressed in a way (though not in a style) that would have been familiar to the vast majority of men only about a century ago (or even less)- a few shirts, a few pairs of socks, one pair of shoes, one outer layer (a hoodie- and in freeze your ass off, NY- he ran between buildings a lot). A suit, with one dress shirt and a pair of cheap dress shoes, for formal occasions. It all fit in one suitcase. I couldn't even conceive of living like that.

And I've gone on a tad too long.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Sweet vintage tweed sport coat with elbow patches and neck latch

Eazy, that tweed is awesome! If you don't want to mess with tailoring it, PM me, I've been on the lookout for something like that for the past couple of months!

A sorta old find that I left in my car and forgot about:
gold plated Dunhill Roligas lighter, with original box, papers and service history.
8005021179_27d67ca583.jpg

No one has commented on this?!?!?! I have been waiting for one to turn up around here. I check every glass case and pile of misc junk to see if I can get to one. I can't believe you found one in this condition though, congrats!!!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know right. Sent a PM in the absolute slightest off-hand chance he might be willing to part with it.

No one has commented on this?!?!?! I have been waiting for one to turn up around here. I check every glass case and pile of misc junk to see if I can get to one. I can't believe you found one in this condition though, congrats!!!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ahhh man, that Brioni is so ******* nice!

That will sell quite easy.
Canvassing is an odd game. Many items I used to consider full canvassed I found out later that canvassing did not run right through the body of the jacket (half canvassed). I learnt my lesson the hard way on eBay when a fellow that purchased the suit suggested I was scamming by selling a half canvassed as full canvassed.
Check the canvassing further down the jacket, below the bottom buttonhole. That will reveal all. Most half canvassed pieces I have inspected tend to run out of canvassing either by the top button hole or just above the bottom button hole.

I think 1/2 canvas is just as nice. I prefer thick 1/2 canvas jackets opposed to paper thin full ones. 2 of my SCs from the 60's have these thick ass heavy canvas. It feels really good to put them on.

lol8[1].gif

+1

I never understood the older Burberry's lines, Prorsum or non Prosum, beats the crap out of me. In this case though London label in tag is a dead giveaway it is not the Prorsum we seek
laugh.gif

On the canvassing part: I always thought canvassing was a useful for lapel rolls etc, but I find half canvassed jackets draping just fine. This fully canvassing draping down the sides just makes no bleeding sense to me since they drape well also. I dont geddit
shog[1].gif

Although I don't mind having 1/2 canvassed jackets, a few of my nicer fitting jackets are, I think people tends to get caught up on these little details. I think one of the reason I used to get freaked out about a nice fitting jacket that's fully fused is because I questions its durability. Giving the fact if you get your fully fused suit dry cleaned and pressed under high heat, chances of the glue coming undone is much higher than your 1/2 canvassed ones. But in reality, how often are you getting your jacket/suits dry cleaned and pressed? Not very often? Maybe only 3 times, if that, a year? Now, I don't trip, chocolate chip! As long as the jacket fits great, feels good, and looks good, it's all good in da hood!

Now I do a squeeze and pat-down, and look inside if able, before plunging a hand in. There was that thing a while back about some nutso planting used hypo's in clothing pockets. Most of the time it's a Kleenex, spare buttons and "inspected by" tags. I still think the guy who found the dentures got the best one yet.

I never stick my hands or any part of me into places I can't see (except for the love hole. All bets are off!). I do the pat down and pinch, flip the pocket out from the top method. It works great! I learned that from a few cop friends!

Burberry for JP. Like the pattern

Where's mine, bro?
puzzled.gif

Mox C

Reaction score

I think one of the reason I used to get freaked out about a nice fitting jacket that's fully fused is because I questions its durability. Giving the fact if you get your fully fused suit dry cleaned and pressed under high heat, chances of the glue coming undone is much higher than your 1/2 canvassed ones.

As far as I have seen, a half-canvased suit is still fully fused—it just has canvas in the top half as well.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I have seen, a half-canvased suit is still fully fused—it just has canvas in the top half as well.

Uhhhh, what...

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I know right. Sent a PM in the absolute slightest off-hand chance he might be willing to part with it.

Short story:

I had the afternoon off sometime in early spring and decided to walk my dog. I sat down in the city center next to an older man that complimented my dog. We started chatting and he was an interesting guy that I found lived near the main street in the city. Fast forward about a month and I see him again and he recognized my dog, so we chatted quickly. I saw him again about a week later while he was sitting and having coffee and he offered a seat at his table. Every time I'd seen him, he was dressed very well. I found out a bit more about him and that he was in his late 80s and worked for the Olympic committee in his home country. He had a lot of interesting stories. Anyway, he goes to light his cigarette and I noticed his lighter and asked him if it was a Dunhill. He got a smile on his face and passed it to me to take a look. It was a vintage gold lighter with silver inlay. He said that few people notice it and that he's used it for 30+ years. I can't imagine the value of it and I found it a bit funny that he carries something like that in his pocket on an every day basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics