The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Yesterday, two recent and very cool color/pattern Hermes ties and collector's edition Red Dawn DVD. All for $10!

Earlier in the week RLPL casual shirt, and another Charvet shirt.

2. LordWanker

LordWanker Senior member

Damn I hate you all. There are no thrift/discount stores where I live -- at least not with anything worth buying -- so I have to rely on eBay for my bargain fixes. Must be nice to live in a real city [​IMG]

That depends on where you are. In Toronto, well GTA area, there is a franchise called Winners/Stylescense and they generally carry designer items ( e.g. D&G, RL{all lines}, Hugo Boss, Scotch, etc). Mind you they are not the latest & greatest styles but they are worth it especially after markdown.

Another store is Holt's Last Call in Woodbridge. If you have the patience and know good classic, timeless designs, you can score an excellent deal there.

Cheers

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I had a great day at an out-of-the-way thrift store today. Last time I paid this store a visit was last year.

- Like new recent Stefano Ricci silk shirt
    - Corneliani wool/linen 3 btn blazer
    - Turnbull and Asser spread collar shirt

Passed on a bunch of recent orhpaned Burberry jackets and some Burberry shirts.

4. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Not really a thrifting score, but it might as well have been. Neiman Marcus Last Call is having a 50% off lowest ticketed price sale until Tuesday. I scored a Cantarelli cotton/linen sport jacket, silk Brioni sweater shirt, and 2 Kiton ties - all for $150! The Cantarelli was originally $1100, then down to $550, then 70% off PLUS the additional 50% from this sale. It feels nice to buy this stuff new for a change.

5. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

Slow thrifting past few days, just a couple items worth while.

Alden 924 black split toe blucher

Brooks Brothers woven leather belt - made in england

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Damn! All that for less than what one Kiton tie costed at retail!

7. Lin

Lin Member

Thrift store in out-of-the-way small town I happened to visit today had a "bag sale" offering all clothing you could fit into a bag for $1. Got a Jhane Barnes suit and Brooks Brothers braces.

8. 83glt

83glt Senior member

^^ Damn! All that for less than what one Kiton tie costed at retail!
    My thoughts exactly. The Cantarelli came to $68! Can you believe it? I've seen lesser jackets at thrift stores priced higher. Unfortunately there wasn't much left after that. There was a couple Brioni shirts and a Borrelli that I was contemplating, but they weren't as steeply discounted and therefore I couldn't justify it. I suggest you guys check your local NMLC if there is one, to see if you can find similar deals. Good luck!

9. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Sounds like things are picking up for everyone.

On Saturday I hit my old reliable and as I was leaving I noticed a navy hopsack blazer hanging in the wrong place. It was an Oxxford in mint condition, in my size, for $2.99. Right next to it was a black and white houndstooth Corneliani 2B, fully canvassed, side-vent sportcoat , also in my size, for $3.99. I guess I found someone's stash. Oh well, as you guys taught me: when you find it jump on it! I also grabbed a like new Hugo Boss dress shirt and tie for $5 combined.

I also happened to enter from a different road the strip mall that has one of my thirft stores in it. I'd never gone that way and I noticed a small store that had a men's suit in the window. I stopped in and it turns out to be a church thrift that provides dress clothes for the neeedy. They give most donations away but they have a guy like us who sorts it all and pulls the good stuff out for sell in the store. Picture a thrift with mostly Oxxford, Armani, BB, etc., all in great shape. The only problem was the Oxxford in my size was $69. I know that's pretty cheap compared to retail and the money's for a good cause but I guess I'm spoiled.

Any of you guys who aren't my size - [​IMG] - are welcome to PM me and I'll tell you where it is.

10. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

in my size, for $2.99. Right next to it was a black and white houndstooth Corneliani 2B, fully also in my size, for $3.99.

Everyone in America prices things $x.99. Thrift shops and ebay, my only points of purchase, are especially guilty of this annoyance. I think it's a left-over from the gas wars in the early 1960's when competing stations would undercut each other by a penny to show the lowest price. (By the way, Gas won.) So now every two-bit seller prices "x.99". Apparently that 2.99 jacket would be unaffordable at 3; that book on Ebay that I want is a discretionary luxury item at 4, but at 3.99 I can't afford to pass it up.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

On Saturday I hit my old reliable and as I was leaving I noticed a navy hopsack blazer hanging in the wrong place. It was an Oxxford in mint condition, in my size, for $2.99. Right next to it was a black and white houndstooth Corneliani 2B, fully canvassed, side-vent sportcoat , also in my size, for $3.99. I guess I found someone's stash. Oh well, as you guys taught me: when you find it jump on it! I also grabbed a like new Hugo Boss dress shirt and tie for $5 combined.

Nice finds! Good to see things are picking up for you!

12. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

I had a great day at an out-of-the-way thrift store today. Last time I paid this store a visit was last year.

- Like new recent Stefano Ricci silk shirt
    - Corneliani wool/linen 3 btn blazer
    - Turnbull and Asser spread collar shirt

Passed on a bunch of recent orhpaned Burberry jackets and some Burberry shirts.

Great finds! I too often pass up Burberry stuff.... the quality just isn't always there.

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Thanks! Yeah, Burberry stuff is hit and miss. Acquascutum is the same way, their made in England stuff is amazing but their Canadian made stuff is crap. I just looked up the Ricci shirt on the Neiman Marcus homepage - striped silk shirts like this go for $1,400! Damn - must be rough to blow that much on a shirt!

14. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

^^^ I've also seen stuff that's inconsistent. I swear I've seen Hickey-Freeman suits that are fused and today I saw a vintage Johnny Carson DB suit (I'm guessing late 60's - 70's b/c it was 6/2, side-vented, with rope shoulders, and plain front pants) and it was fully canvassed. I thought Carson was a cheap, Sears brand?

15. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

^^^Canvassed polyester?![​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.