1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

2. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

3. barrelntrigger

I usually don't pick up PRL shirts, but I found a guncheck with MOPs and fits me like a glove. It's so soft. [​IMG] Pics later.

4. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Who said anything about funny? We as a group are polite, and take pride in helping others in the stores and on this thread. We on the whole are compassionate and benevolent. But when greedy losers show their stripes...get out of our way. One thing we ain't is a bunch of doormats.

5. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Boh, Staxringold directly inspired my latest avatar.

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Since a nice shirt came into topic, I feel I have to mention this:

Turnbull and Asser, lets hear it. What makes them so special?

Are they held in such high esteem because they are seen as Britain's Premium shirt maker?

I will give you my take: They are remarkably average. If I hold a T&A shirt up against a Thomas Pink, I cannot tell any difference in quality. Sorry, I just do not see it. Up against an Lewin or CT, again, differences, if any, are slight. Yet T&A is premium price, Thomas Pink / Lewin / CT are sub $100 (Although Thomas Pink prices fluctuate into the 200's depending on shirt).

That sounds like one of the good PRL shirts in terms of make. Check if it is made in Italy.

I do snag PRL shirts if I like them. I picked up a Red black plaid flannel the other day, made in China, but awesome looking.

Passing noxious vapors is great in principle, in practicality, those gases have to be synchronized with a particular event otherwise releasing them would be problematic. Learned my lesson in past never to force them, the results are sometimes requiring an urgent change of boxer shorts...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  7. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Girlfriend just broke up with me today. So what else to do but thrift? Some finds from today, some others.

EG shirt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Miu Miu shirt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dior Homme shirt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dior Homme jacket.
    [​IMG]

jk. just Monitaly.
    [​IMG]

SF Giants jacket. Basically grail for me.
    [​IMG]

Caruso made RL Rugby.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LV Uniformes. Still cash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attolini made LBSC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 x Versace, 1 random italian, 1 Ben Silver
    [​IMG]

My counter
    [​IMG]

Raliegh Denim
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brioni sport jacket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Fortunately, there's usually a rack full at thrift prices hanging somewhere nearby! :uhoh: ... :crazy: ... :embar:

9. barrelntrigger

The one I got was made in HK but really high quality. I've never seen a PRL shirt with MOPs. Well, maybe I have just couldn't remember it...lol

[​IMG] @ involuntary poop shoot. He shoots, annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it's good! [​IMG]
    Awww man, that sucks! Sorry to hear it. But that Raleigh selvedge is the shiz!

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Had a little taste of LA in Minnesota today. All 38-40 R. Shirts are 15/Euro 38.

Etro flannel pinstripe suit. Brown w/ turquoise stripe. Side vent. FF pants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent Givenchy Paris glen plaid suit. S/S 2008. Side vent. FF pants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Z Zegna pinstripe suit. Natural Comfort fabric. Side vent. FF pants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mystery maker brown herringbone flannel sportcoat. No labels or tags. Really nice. Patch pockets. 1/4 lined. Same donor as everything else. Fits like a 40 R. Available for cheap!

Chest: 22"
    Shoulders: 18"
    Sleeves: 25" with 1 1/2" to let out
    TOC: 31 1/2"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shirts:

[​IMG]

Seaward & Stern tie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. eazye

eazye Senior member

On the topic of nice shirts. I think the only brands I've yet to fondle are Kiton and Barba. That being said, the softest shirt I have ever had the pleasure to grace my closet is a Fray I picked up a couple weeks ago. I swear that shit is made out of the tears of virgin angels. :nodding:

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:laugh: That's a pretty good haul for that area, though!
    :slayer:
    Wow!! :slayer: PM sent on the gray Filson!
    I've seen these online but never in person. Look pretty nice. Are they a limited edition or something? Made in USA? Either way, nice score!
    Great finds, Hans! Your photos of Vienna really make me want to hop a flight right now! Gorgeous!
    I can't believe it! Jos. A Bank x Ermenegildo Zegna. What next?!
    Saw this yesterday. Really cool but was short on bread and wasn't my size.
    You're not alone. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me when I was using my wife's iPad while on vacation.
    :drool:
    A) Yes, definitely. 1) I once had some creep take a picture of me. A store clerk told me some creepy guy who came up to me and asked me about women's purses took a picture of me with his cell phone. I'm pretty mellow so I didn't really care, but had I been pissed off I would have confronted him and asked him why the hell he took a picture of me. 2) I feel your pain, man. EXACT same thing happened to me with a Loro Piana (actual private label) suede/cashmere jacket. Didn't even know what it was till the lady draped it over her arm with the label facing out to flaunt it. Ugh. Huge :brick: moment.
    Sorry to hear the bad news, Ray. Still thrifting is a much better alternative to the ever-popular going out to get sloshed. Maybe more expensive, but still healthier. Amazing haul though to offset what must have been a tough day. A pair of Raliegh Denim have been on my want list for a long time! Might break down and pay retail.
    +1. Love Fray shirts!

13. PdxTony43

PdxTony43 Member

As a note. Yes its the law they have to give you the price they list. I knew a place where some employee misplaced a decimal on some leather jackets and people walked off with a few at 40.00 instead of 400.00 before it was caught. As long as its not altered they have to deal with it.

14. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

EPIC haul today....details to come i'm hitting the sack. maybe ill cuddle up with the kiton cashmere sport coat i found.....

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  15. barrelntrigger

[​IMG] Meow! Purrrrr purrrrrr

16. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting first post, but I think this issue has already been cleared up, with it being considered not illegal for the store. I think you have confused people legally purchasing a price mistake before the store could figure it out and correct the mistake. This happens often, and is legal. The customer is simply paying the price listed. The concern was can the store arbitrarily change the price for the person who has not yet finished the transaction, and some members here have concluded that they can.

17. Randy

Randy Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. mhtcjt37

mhtcjt37 Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And in my size...couldn't be more jealous. Great pickup.

19. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

[​IMG]

As for me, haven't found too much lately. BB tie here, skeet blanket here. But I did find this sweet piece of furniture at a consignment store the other day:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vintage RCA Victor Victrola with the innards gone. Don't know what I am going to do with it, but for $50, I couldn't go wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.