The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

picked up some wool Valentini office pants at Filene's basement for $35!!

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    I've gotten a fair amount of stuff in the last couple weeks.

From a couple weeks back, an Isaia Napoli 50/50 Linen/Silk blend, kind of slate or gray blue. It's a slim 54, fits pretty much like a 42, but too short for me. I'll probably flip this soon, but will consider trades.

What's the length on that? I've been looking for a jacket like that. How much would you want? I'm a newbie, should i have done this PM?

3. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

Yesterday and today...

Corneliani Navy blazer
    Boss James Brown trousers nwt
    Brooks Brothers non-iron OCBD
    North Face Rail-x sunglasses
    Polo sunglasses

A couple bags for my wife -

Maxx NY Leather weekender
    Petusco purse

$28 all in

4. creampiggy

creampiggy Senior member

Found two Pal Zileri Sartoriale sportcoats. No size, but way too large for me, probably US46 or 48. They will be available for trade. But it seems that the trading thread is dead now...

5. sarcasticfolly

sarcasticfolly Senior member

Anyone have suggestions for the Boston area? I am moving back there and never really got into the thrifting thing when I was last there as much as I am now. Any input is appreciated!

6. illeagle

illeagle Senior member

If they're 9.5D I'll take them off your hands, plus reasonable fees for yourself. PM if you ever get around to getting them.

they're actually like 11 A with a AAA heel I believe [​IMG]

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Another blah trip - came across about 6 Armani black label jackets but all were very dated. Nicest thing I found out of three stores were two (recent?) Robert Talbott herringbone shirts. They weren't my size (15x33) and they were only $1.99 a piece and this store requires you to have a minimum purchase of $5 if you use a card and I had no cash. Oh well.....maybe next time.....

8. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Not sure what happened to the trading post. I've always posted a few things up but never got much response on it.

Anyway, I wouldn't be intimidated, because as others have said, there is a rule about trashing someone/their merchandise in their own F/S thread. I list up stuff I know isn't of any interest to most of our active members (D&G, Gucci, Prada), but I know we have a lot of lurkers/newbies who like that kinda stuff. Just list it up, if people are interested they'll PM you or post in the thread.

I want to keep the trading post alive. I made a couple trades that I was very pleased with. Lately I haven't had anything to trade that fit the person who had stuff listed I was interested in. Also, the summer season is not that great for thrifting, so maybe it will be reinvigorated in the fall? I certainly hope to make some more trades in future.

9. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Three nice vintage BB 1818 3-2 wool Jackets....one labelled BrooksTweed, the other two Makers

Probably owned by the same guy, they all needed to be altered the same amount on the sleeve, and the herringbones are twins, one blue, one brown.

Sleeves tailored up alittle and each was about $20-25 with tax.

I think I'm set for winter.

thats really a golden thread not olive in the first coat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I want to keep the trading post alive. I made a couple trades that I was very pleased with. Lately I haven't had anything to trade that fit the person who had stuff listed I was interested in. Also, the summer season is not that great for thrifting, so maybe it will be reinvigorated in the fall? I certainly hope to make some more trades in future.

Same here, I think it just went dormant due to the lack of thrift finds at this time of the year. It was really going great during the late winter into spring, which is peak season for thrifting IMO.

11. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Three nice vintage BB 1818 3-2 wool Jackets....one labelled BrooksTweed, the other two Makers

Sweet coats!

12. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Hadn't been thrifting in a while but I found a pair of Cole Haan Santa Barbara's for $8 with 50% off. I looked at them and they were NWOB. Picked them up, listed them on EBay and turned almost a $60 profit. They still sell the shoes at JosABanks for $148

13. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

A very unusual thrifting day...everything I found was in my size.

I have been searching for a poplin suit in either khaki green or tan for several months. I was hoping to find one before my nieces wedding last Saturday. No luck! Today I found one of each, in exactly my size and only the sleeves have to be altered. Both are made by Haspel and in near new condition. Along with the suits I found 5 pair of NWT OTC socks from Pantherella, POLO, Cole Haan and Tommy Bahama. Total $13.75.

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Today was my most interesting thrift run in a long time. Amazing stuff, though I bought very little of it. Picked up a terrific red mohair/wool knit tie and a skinny wool tie in a vibrant green. Left behind an incredible gray glen plaid coat that was too small for me. There was also a great tropical wool blazer with tiny little lapels. Too big and rather well worn, but would have been incredible back in the day. It was the perfect blue for summer, and the cloth had a spectacular texture. There were also some interesting tweed trou, which I rarely see, but I don't wear used trou, so they stayed on the racks.

Even if I hadn't bought anything, just seeing the stuff would have been worth the trip.

15. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

E. Zegna tie with circa 1933 art deco radio design $1.50

old radios are my other hobby
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.