1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Here are some of my finds from yesterday. Like I said, it's nothing terribly exciting. A lot of stuff that is of no real interest here as it's stuff that goes straight to ebay (lots of polos: Lacoste, Fred Perry, PRL, etc.). Availability is of varying degrees...some is already packed for members here, some is going into my closet.

A word of warning: I recently went to send a small package to someone on SF that I thought for sure would go for €5.90 (they said cheapest which means no insurance/tracking). Anyway, the post was adamant that it was too thick. Now, it will cost €15.00. Point is, if I'm going to send you one small item for €15.00, we may as well try to fit more stuff in the envelope.

Vintage Cravats of London:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ancient Madder
    [​IMG]

Two old Burberrys:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scottish wool tartan/plaid:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left to right: Ferre, Gucci, Dunhill, Zegna. The Gucci has some damage that I didn't see in the shop. Anyone know how old that label is? I think the Dunhill is real, but based on how often fakes have been posted in the UFO thread, I have no idea. It's funny, I was going through piles of ties and went to grab that one (hadn't seen the label) and a woman gets there a split second before me. I kept eyeing it and after about 10 minutes, she tosses it back and I immediately grabbed it. :happy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obnoxious Easter ties that I'm going to list:
    [​IMG]

Ugly Leonard Paris tie. These things seem to be hit or miss...I don't know which ones are prized. Anyone have a clue?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Knits...
    Wool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Untagged. Feels like silk and/or cotton. Super skinny. I've never seen a polyester knit, they don't really exist, do they?
    [​IMG]

Untagged, but surely silk knit with stitched dots. I thought it was black/red when I bought it, but in brighter light it looks like a deep green/red.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Untagged. Possibly silk or silk/cotton.

[​IMG]

Failsworth wool hat. I got this with someone in mind. PM on its way!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hilditch & Key. Feels crisp, a couple of pin sized holes at the very bottom. Really short sleeves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Windsor jacket. When I felt it, I thought it was linen. I checked the tag and was correct. However, the second material is 100% silk. Weird, the tag says first outer material:100 linen. Second outer material 100% silk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bally handmade. Terrible picture, but they're actually in good shape. Goodyear welted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Foulard or large pocket square. Appears new with handrolled edges. Tag says Elegance Paris. Anyone have a clue? I think I've seen that tag on some women's clothes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Baldessarini polo. Feels new. This isn't Hugo Boss Baldessarini, it's the actual company. A first for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took a few photos from Vienna again. Spoilered as it's only mildly thrift related.
    Train ride to Vienna. We've gotten a good amount of snow lately, but the higher up the elevation, the more snow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sigmund Freud museum near a thrift shop. I may go in next time as I find him extremely fascinating and have read quite a bit about him and his theories.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rathaus, taken from the tram.
    [​IMG]

Street shot while I was waiting on the light.
    [​IMG]

Lunch. I walked in and the owner just looked at me. I said "Are you open?" I thought it might have been a private party or something as everyone in the restaurant was looking at me. He said "No, of course not" and just looked at me. Confused, I said "Oh, okay" and he said "Come on, I'm kidding, sit anywhere! How many are with you?" I said "just me," and he goes "Ahh, alone. Poor monsieur has to eat lunch alone." Funny guy :D
    [​IMG]

These were a couple of my projects. Giant baskets filled with ties. At one shop, they actually gave me a stool and box to help me sort them. It was likely an incredible site seeing me sitting down, going through 300 ties one by one. Either way, found a few to take :satisfied:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

:foo: = mafoofan I'll happily LOAN you the studs! :cheers:

3. HansderHund

He's a big contributor that has an in depth knowledge of classic menswear. He has a number of bespoke pieces and explains things well. I believe he also won or nearly won an Esquire "best dressed" contest.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Most expensive single thrift store visit in 2 years. Guess that's a good and bad thing.....

And I left this....look at the tag close

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. HansderHund

:lurk:

6. amadar

amadar Senior member

:uhoh: say it aint so....

7. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

All great finds, but as far as stuff I would wear these are A+. Not including the Coogi, heh.

[​IMG]

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I saw one of these Zegna JABs once. It was NWT and the particular goodwill marks all JAB stuff too high. Probably because they are headquartered here and that is what they recognize as a name brand. It was around $150 IIRC.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Ironically enough, considering your username....

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Wat. Is that a Zegna tag with Jos A. Bank fabric, or am I missing something?? [​IMG]

What kind of unholy union is this?

11. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

I think unlined ties would be perfect/most successful to try this on. I've removed knot wrinkles from a few with a steamer, but bigger wrinkles across the blade seem to be a bit more difficult, especially if the liner material has the same creases in it.

I say give it a shot, especially if the price is right.

Yesterday, I turned the two RLPL shirts that I returned into this:
    [​IMG]
    Hand embroidered on a stretched linen canvas, soon to be gracing my hallway wall.

1 person likes this.
  12. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Forgot to mention I snagged this the other day - a bit more than usual thrift prices but still not bad at all. I'm reading this fabric tag as 52% cashmere, 24% silk, 24% linen, is that correct?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. HansderHund

14. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

I always go with hanging them over a towel bar in the bathroom for a couple of weeks of hot showers. Has done a really good job with ties. Marginal success with coats.

Make sure you keep them away from direct spray (shower or elsewhere... ) :)

15. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

16. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

Wes you generously sent me a whole set of studs and links that all match as an extra in a trade I would happily send them to you since I am going to wear a shirt that does not require studs for my ball rig since I am getting it made to measure because I am such a weird size I figured I might get versatility and get a spread collar with French cuffs...

17. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

If you're going back there anytime soon and any of those were suits, I'd definitely be willing to take a chance on that. And of course will report back to the thread!

18. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

19. eazye

eazye Senior member

I decided to take a chance and went back for some wrinkled ties. Half off day was a bonus. $7 for all of them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I picked the 5 best BB and left about 10 more as well as a bunch more vintage repps from smaller name stores. They must have all come frome the same dude. Only 1 is lined. I'll report back on how it worked out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My favorite though, is this vintage unlined wool number. :slayer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Morning out with not much for results. All of these from my last stop:

Orvis Made In England moleskin sport coat (40L). Antler buttons?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Allen Edmonds Alpine boots. 11.5 B. Still need some more cleanup but they looked rougher a little bit ago. Left a few more AE that looked worse.
    [​IMG]

Not sure if these were worth a pickup but fit so keeping for myself...
    Bata shoes. Crepe sole. Made in Italy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the looks of it most of the Marshalls stores are completely out of anything worthwhile from the clearance sale and are back to same old junk they usually stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.