Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Damn, dudes are killing it this weekend! Just caught up with 300+ posts.

Hans: I agree on the labels, especially the Turnberry [sp?] one - having been to Turnberry Isle in Miami I expected a lot more the first few times I saw that tag.

I am looking to buy a couple of small things - I know there's a buy/sell thread but everyone there is selling and never reads the "want to buy" ads it seems.
    1] Belt for a Pendleton long wool winter overcoat. Basically gray with flocks of color, to match this:
    [​IMG]

...OR I might settle for a belt in a solid gray wool of pretty much any color, since a contrasting belt might be OK as well.

2] Need some Brooks Brothers buttons by Waterbury. The gold ones with the suspended sheep, like these.
    ...I only need two of the smaller 5/8" sleeve buttons, but if someone has a set on the cheap I'd like to hear about it.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You cant make anything out? No indentation on the heel pad? Numbers on the inside?

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Oh yeah, I ran into 3 of these bad boys. Picked up one to flip. Doesn't look the best quality jeans but there's the Zegna name and it's a bit on the novel side.

My girl thrifted a big bottle of Dior Poison a few months ago. It had at least 3/4 left.

Sorry bro, that's a no go.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

The wife wanted to go to a restaurant just a stones throw from one of the most fertile -- and most expensive -- in the area. So naturally I had to stop in. Some ver painful passes. Ancient Alden plain fronts at more than half a c-note. Older Aquascutum tweed sc in a green base with overcheck that was a hair short, but was dual vented with ticket pocket. Was tempted, but at more than one jackson, it was pretty expensive. Shame. But the real heartbreaker was the super recent Zegna su misura navy glenplaid with blue overcheck. Dual bent, pick stitch, surgeon cuffs, my size and something I've wanted FOR EVVA! Mother effing orphan. Gawr demmit! Net, only pickup was an older Zegna silk wool blend tie in a taupe with nave flowes in a polka dot pattern. Massively overpaid, but I saw it and fell instantly in love.

Anyway, huge shout outs to Andro, Horse's Ass, Sam Smith and others for swesome trades and trade offers!

5. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Oh well

6. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

Thank you spoo

i think they overhauled everything on this shoe. They put a whole new sole and looks like a new heel pad. It doesn't bother to wear them without knowing 100% but it would bother me to sell them as guccis without knowing. Thats not my style

i found 3 pairs also and they sold for like 15 - 20 bucks. not worth it to flip imo

7. green_machine

8. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

Nataku (or any other vintage outerwear headz), did I do good?

[​IMG]

Vintage, Gerry puffer vest, Made in U.S.A. Half nylon, half suede, with shearling-lined pockets.

[​IMG]

Regardless of whether it's a good find, I love it! And that's all that matters really.

9. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

My vintage Gucci's with the tag have markings on the instep... size, 2 3 digit letter groups and then width. 41 127 175 M If yours are marked similarly id say they're gucci.

10. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Thanks for the clarification. I picked up a Dior pocket square a couple weeks ago just for myself, not the name, but it's good to know for the future. It was hand-rolled and I thought it was interesting, so that was a "yes" for me.

11. green_machine

thanks, they are so bare. nothing on them. no marking no size nothing. it sucks but they fit me and ill wear them No flip for me

but they are the exact image of the link i posted. i dont think fakes are anywhere this nice or old

12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Picked up more bread & butter (PRL, Barbour etc), and what now appears to be a pile of dung compared to what everyone else pulled in this weekend so I'll spoiler it as always. All from Goodwill.

Shorts for next year: PRL and Brooks Brothers:
    [​IMG]

Dunhill tie. Not newer, but decent. Had to leave a pile of Paul Stuart ties behind - 8 or 10 of them - all with some sort of flaw.
    [​IMG]

PRL cotton pincord (edit: not seersucker - hat tip to Patrologia for laying the knowledge on me) 3/2 jacket...
    [​IMG]

...with working cuffs:
    [​IMG]

The pants / jeans pile - 7 For All Mankind, Citizens Of Humanity, Lucky, Robert Graham, Orvis, and JD Workwear (with leather back pockets, hammer loop, and leather + padded knees):
    [​IMG]

Odd bird - Loro Piana Brooks Brothers "Brooksease". I always thought the "Brooksease" was lower level stuff akin to 346, but Loro Piana...? This is the coat for which I need sleeve buttons:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who needs a paisley smoking jacket? Tagged 38R, from H&M...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...with working cuffs:
    [​IMG]

Bible action figures! NIB, $2.50 (retail is $30).
    [​IMG]

Ultimate noob mistake. This was in the glass case, flipped it open to see if it was marked how and where it should be - it was:
    [​IMG]

...got it home and saw immediately it has to be a fake. The Haymarket check is all off / doesn't line up correctly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ...no idea what I was thinking - assumed it was real and looked at it based on that, as opposed to what I normally do - assume it's fake and then try to prove to myself it's real. I had it backwards this time. Stupid waste of money - I should cut it in half and toss it so it doesn't make its way into the thrifting waters again.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

13. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

I found some shoes that I also can't tell are gucci,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Whoa!!! :bounce2: :slayer:

Did you do good? You hit it out of the park! That thing is insane! What size is it? :D

15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

It's all good, bro. We rarely see any legit YSL posted on here. But I did sold a pair of YSL licensed crap to a French man. He didn't mind them...

Ima try to see if I can sell a pair for $40.

I don't know...I think that pile of jeans are pretty awesome...just saying...

Damn, that H&M jacket is the shits! I would rock that on Halloween or something.

Yeah, that Bookease is pretty lower tier but hey, it's Loro Piana. I would of picked it up. I think Wes has a few positive experiences selling Bookease on the bay. Hey, you never know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.