The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Wait Wait Wait, you have a giant Iguana??

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yup - thrifted it about 4 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Ok, I was thinking about something else...

4. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Yeah. When it's that small, I've also seen it called dogstooth, or even puppystooth.

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, I was a bit surprised at your reaction as it isn't anything special. Haha.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I had no idea such a thing even existed!

[​IMG]

They are a loose fit in the leg. Marked a 34 waist with no length. They fit more like a 32 so I'm guessing they've seen the inside of a dryer. I'm figuring the length at 34". Lotsa stacking.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Imma keep 'em for winter time so i have jeans that thermal underwear will fit beneath better than my Levis.

7. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

^ hopefully some denim experts will chime in, but i don't think those jeans fit you correctly at all. from what i understand, "stacking" is something that you want with skinny jeans, not with loose-fitting jeans. those are just too big for you.

8. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

My third thrift run, second where I buy anything. Cool stuff, in my view, and left some stuff behind.

First, two BB shirts. First is 17.5-3, red/white striped with somewhat faint black writing on the inside of the collar (nothing visible outside). Does the 17.5-3 mean 17.5-33? Looks untouched other than that writing.

Second is a standard blue, 17-36. Actually coulda used another plain blue shirt, another half inch in the neck and I'd be keeping this sucker, it's pristine NWOT (I'm an 18, can get away with 17.5, but 17 is too tight).

Both are available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also a grey Canali shirt. One measurement label says 41-16, is this European sizing? If so can someone translate? Also, do we have a guide for measuring, if I'm gonna start doing this for real I should learn. Missing the 2nd cuff button on the left cuff, but it has normal buttons and the cuff buttons fine without it.

Available

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Missing button
    [​IMG]

Next up... God bless weight loss. 38 RLPL light grey dress slacks. Fit comfortably now, probably would've fought to get in a 40 this time last year. These are NWOT so keeping unless someone really wants and makes a nice offer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally a tie. More important is that this is the only tie I bought, held off (playing this conservative early on before I know what I'm doing) on two hideous BB Makers ties (one was dark XMas red/green, one was khakish-brown with hot pink/navy stripes), a nice floral BB Makers with bad stains, and some really ugly Talbotts.

As for YSL, is this tie any good? What's the deal with the Milwaukee label? I like it a bit, so even if it's not flippable I'll keep it. *shrug*. If interested, the blue is a bit lighter than it looks in these shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. suited

suited Senior member

You guys must have killer thrift shops compared to what's in my area of South FL. $25-30 for beat up brooks brothers ties at the goodwill in palm beach and $50 for brooks brothers pants :lol:

The consignment shop next door had the same $200 pair of used ferragamos he had 6 months ago...I wonder why.

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Hopefully, you dragged those shoes up to the counter, asked to see a manager, and pointed that out to them. Pointing out that damaging your most valuable goods beyond repair is probably not that difficult a case to make. Especially when you've got the $200 estimate, and can presumably name a few items that contributed to it.

11. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

dAT CAMO!! that is the stuff that makes #menswear panties wet

12. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

has anyone thrifted cologne before? I found some aqua de parma which is my favorite cologne, but it was half used and didn't smell like it should :/

13. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

My third thrift run, second where I buy anything. Cool stuff, in my view, and left some stuff behind. First, two BB shirts. First is 17.5-3, red/white striped with somewhat faint black writing on the inside of the collar (nothing visible outside). Does the 17.5-3 mean 17.5-33? Looks untouched other than that writing. Second is a standard blue, 17-36. Actually coulda used another plain blue shirt, another half inch in the neck and I'd be keeping this sucker, it's pristine NWOT (I'm an 18, can get away with 17.5, but 17 is too tight). Both are available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also a grey Canali shirt. One measurement label says 41-16, is this European sizing? If so can someone translate? Also, do we have a guide for measuring, if I'm gonna start doing this for real I should learn. Missing the 2nd cuff button on the left cuff, but it has normal buttons and the cuff buttons fine without it. Available

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Missing button
    [​IMG]

Next up... God bless weight loss. 38 RLPL light grey dress slacks. Fit comfortably now, probably would've fought to get in a 40 this time last year. These are NWOT so keeping unless someone really wants and makes a nice offer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally a tie. More important is that this is the only tie I bought, held off (playing this conservative early on before I know what I'm doing) on two hideous BB Makers ties (one was dark XMas red/green, one was khakish-brown with hot pink/navy stripes), a nice floral BB Makers with bad stains, and some really ugly Talbotts.
    As for YSL, is this tie any good? What's the deal with the Milwaukee label? I like it a bit, so even if it's not flippable I'll keep it. *shrug*. If interested, the blue is a bit lighter than it looks in these shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

calling spoo!!!! need help. these look like guccis but.... they are old,have been fully resoled and the logo has been warn down. i found them in the same size as another same resoled poulse skone and co shoes. so i dont think they would be wearing fakes. let me know how i can tell !?!?!... btw both 11s and both available [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] also got some burberry slacks [​IMG] and 4.5 oz sterling silver... $100 expensive but i like the items and it ends up being close to market value [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. runic

runic Member

The label has both the European and the US/UK size, 41 cm is roughly 16 inches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.