1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eazye

eazye Senior member

Better, but don't forget to unbutton the bottom vest button.

1 person likes this.
  2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Came away with a good amount of stuff today. Nothing mind blowing but some solid finds. Everything is available.

Black shoes :plain:

Santoni (9 D) and Alden wing tips (12 EE).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RLPL corduroy shirt. Sz M. Great details like epaulets, double button cuffs and "v shape" pocket flaps.

[​IMG]

Vintage Notre Dame/N.Dak varsity cardigan. I'd guess late 50's? Size 42

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lands End Tiroler Loden wool jacket. Suede collar. Size L.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent Samuelsohn flat front khaki trousers. Super 110s. 36 (+ 2 3/4") x 34 (+ 2 1/2")

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pendleton duck embroidery sweater. Made in the USA. Size L

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LL Bean Norwegian sweater. Size L

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Levis Big E denim trucker jacket. Great patina. Didn't even realize it was Big E until I got home. Red tab was hiding. Tagged 46 but fits like a 42.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vintage BB braces. Made in England. Pattern is hard to make out, but it looks like a bull charging at one of The Wild Things (from Where the Wild Things Are).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thrilled to find some decent LPs at a store that never has any good records (they get them, but they rarely make it out past the vultures). Makes me think some crazy stuff was sucked up before I got there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  3. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Starting to regret the purchase. Size 12 EE. :cry:

5. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]

6. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

A few things to look for: leather lining throughout, leather insoles, tight stitching (more stitches per inch=better), closed channel stitching on the soles, look for pores in the leather of the uppers.

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

I think this looks great except for letting the sleeves out a touch... Your shirt sleeves also look a touch short but they may just need a tug.

8. LeeBiggerstaff

LeeBiggerstaff Active Member

Came away with a good amount of stuff today. Nothing mind blowing but some solid finds. Everything is available.

Vintage BB braces. Made in England. Pattern is hard to make out, but it looks like a bull charging at one of The Wild Things (from Where the Wild Things Are).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think its a bull and bear - pretty neat.

9. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

Nice. I picked up one from an estate sale a few months ago, from the early 70s if I recall. It's so heavy!

Bull and bear (markets), probably.

10. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

One of the biggest issues with shoes is condition; used footwear is more likely to be beat to hell (e.g. no shoe trees used, leather cracked, sole screwed up) than most of the clothes.

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Pick them up. Quality shoes are heavier and feel more substantial.

Look at the soles... If the soles are rubber and moulded to the shape of the shoe they're probably glued on. If they're real leather soles, they've got a better chance of being good. If they're rubber but made to look like leather (for instance where they're worn you can see the black rubber underneath) then they're definitely crap. Nails in the heel are a good sign. See if the soles have any life left... Resoling isn't too expensive for good shoes, but it's too expensive for mediocre shoes.

Feel the leather... does it feel too smooth and plasticy? Not good (but could be shell if they're not familiar). Also look at the vamp for signs of damage like cracking. That's not fixable.

Look at the writing on the inside... Made in England? Made in the USA? Made in Italy? Made in Spain or Hungary? Keep looking. Made in China, Vietnam, Mexico, etc. you can stop. Handwritten? A very very good sign.

How is the stitching on the upper? Is it real stitching or just for show? Is it even and consistent distance from the edge of the piece of leather? Poorly made shoes are made by unskilled labor and the stitching will be sloppy and uneven.

That's some quick things to look for

1 person likes this.
  12. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

And where does North Face fit in? Is it ever worth picking up for flipping? I see quite a bit of it but don't know what the diamonds in the rough are.

I'm with tonylumpkin on the interior leather. I try to see if there's leather all the way through.

Another thing for the novice to consider is weight. All things being equal, a better made shoe of the same style will be heavier than the made in China version.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Does the Loden have handwarmer pockets? Does it fit more bomber length, or longer?

I think the braces are bulls and bears (stock market)

14. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Where's North Face???? :rotflmao:

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oh, yeah...duh. I was thinking "Taking the bull by the horns"

16. grendel

grendel Senior member

Cool. I got one from the early 50's from AndroFan last year that I wear once in a while. It's very heavy, but not the flannel wool like todays peacoats, it's more like an insanely thick and heavy cavalry twill.

17. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

nvm

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  18. grendel

grendel Senior member

So after seeing the stuff people have been finding at Marshall's and TJ Maxx I stopped on the way home from work. There was a surprising amount of good stuff at the Marshall's. Lots of RLBL. Probably a dozen shirts, mostly casual-ish and trendy, all $149. A couple cashmere blend turtlenecks. A couple other sweaters.

Also the weirdest damn thing I've seen.... A black RLBL polyester blazer that was puffy but not quilted with pick stitching around the lapels. Made in Italy. There was no Marshall's tag, but the retail price was $895.

I was deeply tempted by a pair of Bally red velvet formal slippers. The $99 price and fact that they were a half size too small (9.5) kept me from kopping. Pretty cool to see and I was tempted by a Tom Haverford moment.

Interestingly the only Zegna thing I saw was a decent shirt at TJ Maxx for $69... Also the only thing worth looking at at TJX

Here's the stuff I kopped for me..

Brown cashmere tie from Wilkes Bashford SF. How this got up here I have no idea, but it's SOOO soft and thick.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this might be my favorite tie of all time... and a popped cherry for me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It says linen but feels like cashmere. Love these colors and the thickness of this thing.

19. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, I think you guys are right on the bulls and bears. Cool. Thanks!

The loden does have handwarmer pockets (behind the flap pockets). It's bomber length. I'm 6'0 or so and it hits a little below my waist.

20. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

Picked up a few Italian suits on the cheap today - only one worth showing turns out to be the nicest 3 piece suit I've found yet:

Pal Zileri - Cashmere blend - 3 piece suit - labelled 50EU (but measurements are closer to a 43/44R US).

If I lose 10 pounds, I might be able to expand the pants to fit..

This didn't match any of the labels in the Italian thread. Does Pal Zileri make their own?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.