The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Today: 1 Charvet shirt, 1 Battistoni shirt.

2. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Today: 1 Charvet shirt, 1 Battistoni shirt.

Outstanding. Shirts are the one thing I've never had any luck thrifting. The "best" label I ever ran across was a couple of Armani's but they'd been startched to death and had bad ring around the collar.

The ring is epidemic in the thrift shirts down here. Do you see it where you're at? If not, I'm thinking it might be regional because of the heat?

3. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Outstanding. Shirts are the one thing I've never had any luck thrifting. The "best" label I ever ran across was a couple of Armani's but they'd been startched to death and had bad ring around the collar.

The ring is epidemic in the thrift shirts down here. Do you see it where you're at? If not, I'm thinking it might be regional because of the heat?

No, I see all kinds of disgusting stains on shirts. Frankly I'm quite surprised at what Goodwill/SA managers think consumers will tolerate. Some of it is just nasty. But, there are lots of perfect shirts as well, and even the odd NWT shirt. I basically look at the cuffs, points of the collar and the collar itself to make sure it's not worn or colored. Then I check the pits and look for any other stains, marks, tears, etc. If it passes the test and is a reputable/quality make in my size, it comes home. I find a lot of shirts that pass this test actually, but the vast majority don't. If you dont' find a single shirt, maybe it is the heat. It would make sense that shirts down there are more susceptible to sweat staining.

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

Yesterday at lunch:
    I found four unworn ties at the local Goodwill - $6.88 for the lot. They only have a small tag identifying them as "Italian silk, handmade in Boulder, CO" (???). I've never seen that tag but they are all really beautiful and well made.

Carrot & Gibbs

5. heisenberg

heisenberg Active Member

Usually I'm not too big into the thrifting game, but I found myself outside of my normal area and decided to take a look in the store. Ended up with a pare of lightly used black C&J Weymouths - 10E. Perfect size. Now comes the big decision - B&S forum, or keep them and rotate with my AE PAs.

Couple months back, I also picked up a pair of RRL jeans with a green tag. Having issues getting any details on them - will have to post pics later.

6. 83glt

83glt Senior member

If anyone wants Hermes ties, there are 8 at the Chelsea Goodwill on W 25th near 6th Ave. I hate that Goodwill b/c their prices are ridiculous. In this case, they want $20 a tie - $160 for all 8. I don't think I paid $20 total for the 5 Kiton ties that I've thrifted over the last few months. The clerk said "you won't find a Hermes tie for $20". Maybe, but I still couldn't justify it. They are all very nice ties though, nothing too loud or obnoxious, very nice patterns and colors.

7. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Today at a Salvation Army I was going through the racks of suits, and my heart almost stopped when I saw a Gieves & Hawkes label! But I was quickly disappointed when I looked on the other side of the lining and saw another label indicating that this was Gieves & Hawkes for Bloomingdales?!??!!! wtf? Anybody heard about this collaboration before? Must have been short-lived... Anyway the suit was nothing special. I didn't know G&H had sold out! [​IMG] Further down the rack was a beautiful blazer made for Everard's - surgeon's cuffs, highest quality throughout, pick stitching, fully canvassed, bemberg lining, etc. etc. - obviously heads and shoulders above any department store or JAB crap. Unfortunately it was a bit beat up, so I had to leave it... Point is I would have expected the Gieves & Hawkes to be of similar quality to the Everard's -- but it was no better than a Mani for Macy's or a Stafford or a Brooksleaze or Today's Man (you know what they say about Today's Man -- it's Tomorrow's mistake!)

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

Point is I would have expected the Gieves & Hawkes to be of similar quality to the Everard's -- but it was no better than a Mani for Macy's or a Stafford or a Brooksleaze or Today's Man (you know what they say about Today's Man -- it's Tomorrow's mistake!)

Licensed; some made by Hickey Freeman.

9. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

A bath in Oxy-clean will remove those easily. So don't let them deter you.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ +1. I've come across many nice shirt that would probably have otherwise been snatched up if not for the collar stain. Of course if they're nice, I buy them as I know I can get the stain out. I use Vman's stain removal method and it works wonders.

11. speizer

speizer Member

Found a Barney's merino wool sweater at an estate sale today for $2. Seems to be in great condition and fits me pretty well, so I'm happy.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Ended up with a pare of lightly used black C&J Weymouths - 10E. Perfect size. Now comes the big decision - B&S forum, or keep them and rotate with my AE PAs.

Not a hard decision--keep them! If you don't want both sell the AEs, but I'd keep both.

13. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

A bath in Oxy-clean will remove those easily. So don't let them deter you.

AGH! I wish I would have know that. I passed on a Canali shirt that was marked $2. It was in perfect condition but it had really ugly ring around the collar, so I passed. [​IMG]

14. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

Every once in awhile I get a weird itch to go way out of my way to visit a store here or there on a hunch. Today was one of those days.

I found a Delfino soft leather two-tone briefcase for $3, a Monterrey straw Panama hat $4, and a Pilgrim vintage Homburg hat $5.

15. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.