The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

$50 for a pocket square at a Marshalls? Even the better of the two Marshalls stores I go to usually only has ties for up to $16.99 (that's for the Brooks Brothers seconds). I don't know if either of them even stocks pocket squares.

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Hate this feeling! Had it happen with a pair of New w/o Box Polo RL boots several years ago.

+ 1 on another member's comment. Never pass on shell if it's at a good price. Especially Alden shell.

On a side note, I now know that this seller is a thrift flipper. Watched his auctions for awhile now and was always curious if he did consignment or thrifts. Not that it matters, but nice to be able to kind of expand beyond this thread to see what pops up in thrifts across the country.

3. jguyette

jguyette Well-Known Member

4. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

That looks like the now defunct Ralph Lauren signature line. It is supposed to be below RLPL quality but above everything else, so don't feel bad even if it's not RLPL.

Quote:

5. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

6. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

don't think so. There was some question of this label several weeks ago - it's the predecessor to the Purple Label. I can't speak to similarity in terms of quality

7. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Too hot to thrift, finally cooled off (highs of 100) recent finds, all available (check ebay link for full measurements)

Canali super 130's charcoal gray pinstripe suit, 3-button, 2-vent- 2-pleat cuffed, 44 Long:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canli SC beighy/tan 3-button, non vented 42R:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robert Graham, 100% cotton SC/Jacket 3XL:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nordstrom lightweight Khaki suit 44R

[​IMG]

HSM gray pinstripe, flat front, single vent, 44S:

[​IMG]

Johnston & Murphy signature series Italian made black loafers 12M:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

8. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

put it in a trash bag with an open box of arm and hammer baking soda... take out most of the air... seal for a few days... take it out at let it air for 24 hrs, then repeat as needed.

worked to take cigarette and cigar smoke out of a harley davidson leather jacket for me. Couldnt stand even handling it before...

9. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Went to the local GW in west LA and found a CANALI / Barney's labeled made in Italy / Armani Collenzioni shirt jackpot. Unfortunately they are priced $14.99 a piece... worth picking up? They are NWOT ranging in sizes and colors.

Also some CANALI ties for about $10 a piece also NWOT

If anyone wants I can go back and pick some up. PM your sizes and I will respond with what they have available.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It's not a Breitling, but I picked up this selfwinder today. From the end of the Benrus quality era, just before they became licensed crap (I think). It runs like a champ. The inscription goes well with the Elmer Fudd hat I found last week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

12. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

^^^
    Very nice watch!

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I find that the extreme days are the best for thrifting. Best pickings because everyone is at home. Been out in 102+ high humidity days and -20 below days. Hell, I had a huge haul (recent Adrian Jules MTM stuff, Recent Paul Stuart sportcoats, Etro sportcoats, etc) on a day when the roads were literally an ice skating rink. Original plans were to go to a store farther south but traffic came to a dead stop right at the exit of this store due to a semi that went off the road. I took it as a sign that I needed to hit this store first.

14. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

I've been out of the game for 4-5 months now because my wife drew a line in the sand and demanded I clean out the backlog. I've made a serious dent in it lately, plus I concentrated on buying her stuff for a while - you guys should try it; it works wonders - so on my way to lunch I stopped at a Goodwill on a whim. I found a killer Polo brown chalkstripe single breasted 3/2 peak lapelled side-vented suit, a pair of ff Canali slacks, and Lorenzini and Armani shirts. Once I got the suit home I was going through the pockets and found a carefully folded Hermes pocket square! Damn, I've forgotten how awesome this hobby is. I thought I had the addiction licked but now it looks like I'm back on the thrifting crack pipe...

15. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Cue "Welcome Back Kotter" song once again.

Good to have you back at the crack house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.