1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

I mean i guess if it fits and you like it, get it. Every one if seen has been undewrwhelming in style/fit/quality/materials.

2. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

I wear underwear so if i piss my pants enough to soak through those, i guess i need to see a doctor lol

3. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I think TJ Maxx and Marshalls are your best bets. Haven't heard anyone mention Ross for finds, though. I could be wrong. Also, TJMaxx Marshalls are owned by the same corporation. Finally, the concensus is that a TJMaxx or Marshalls gets nicer stuff if it's next to a high-dollar mall/high rent area.

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

:crackup: True.

5. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Of course I peed my pants, everyone my age pees their pants. It's the coolest.

If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis.

6. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Ross sucks ass for menswear. i go there if its next to a tj maxx or marshalls to look for Vans and the off chance they actually have good cologne. Tshirts too sometimes

7. suited

suited Senior member

Not high end, but at lunch I found a NWOT banana republic navy suit with subtle blue stripes, peak lapel, single button. The entire suit, from the sleeves to the trousers, fits me perfectly. Fit pics later.

1 person likes this.
  8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

PSA

Any fans of Patagonia??

There's an outlet sale starting tomorrow morning. If you live near an outlet, and need any sort of stuff that they sell, check it out...

If you need anything, let me know. I might be able to proxy some stuff when I hit the store in Santa Cruz.

The sale is 40% off outlet prices. Ridiculous prices for Patagucci stuff... I'm hoping for a new R2 jacket in the $30-40 range.

9. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Thats how to do it [​IMG]

10. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

To de-thriftify those Nudies, should I go with this method, or is there something better? The freezer, perhaps, and then just a soak?
    Quote:

11. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I don't like the hang part at the end...I prefer to lay flat and let dry overnight, then flip them the next morning to help the other side dry...usually takes 36-48 hours to fully dry.

12. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

:slayer:

Never underestimate the value of a thrifted suit that fits perfectly. Fit is the most important thing to get right when you're building a wardrobe. At worst, you have a solid suit that'll work great for you until some more of better quality come along.

1 person likes this.
  13. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

fucking this! There is a lot of emphasis on brand names here (which i am on board with btw) but a well fitting banana republic suit beats a sloppy looking kiton any day of the week from a purely aesthetic standard.

14. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

obviously not a denim head! ...just wear 'em! ...nothing like some thrift grunge to help get some wicked fades

on the serious note, inside out in cool water in the tub with woolite to wash. Be prepared for some major bleeding if they haven't touched water yet.

...all you need to know about denim care

15. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Denim experts: will this cold water, gentle method, coupled with air drying, shrink raw denim? i.e. any sort of water and drying leads to shrinking?

+1
    Plus, once you're done, you can then flip it for a handsome profit.

16. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

I'm not an expert in denim, just have a few pairs, but the shrinkage % depends on the type of denim

http://www.oki-ni.com/features/raw-denim-care-guide

17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Man, the raw denim stuff sounds like a PITA...

I wash my denim in the washing machine with cold water and air dry them. Seems to work pretty well on the relatively normal stuff (the jeans I have are like 3% spandex). Hopefully I'll find some good stuff some time soon to try out. [​IMG]

18. mhtcjt37

mhtcjt37 Senior member

If its cold water then shrinkage will be minimal to none.

19. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele

Congress absolutely has a say in this. Not delivering on Saturdays violates the USPS' own charter. Only Congress can give permission to the USPS to discontinue Saturday delivery. The consensus seems to be this is a ploy to get Congress to focus on the hemorrhaging experienced by USPS in the last few years. Hopefully, this will end with some sort of compromise that won't affect our ability to enjoy our Saturday-delivered bounty.

20. concealed

concealed Senior member

No offense to all you thrifters of raw denim, but in my opinion it is one of the purchases you should go the traditional retail route with

No Saturday delivery/pickup would suck.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.