1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beck

Beck Senior member

Wow that Presidential suit is awesome!! J.Press is always on my priority list however consignment shops usually mark it way up. So just with that I would say you had an awesome weekend of thrift!
    Also, sweet RLPL Linen pants.

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Nice! RLPL anything is always a win in my book as I have yet to find a place that it's sold in Austria. I'm sure it's sold in Germany, but it's not something I plan on finding. Is that J Press suit wool? It looks like it has an interesting texture to it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Pretty sure this isn't made by Holland & Sherry, and is instead just Holland and Sherry fabric. It's probably made by Tom James. Check the breast pocket content label...it probably looks like this:

[​IMG]

4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Damn bro, those hacking pockets are wicked! Wicked, I tell ya!

Is it made by Martin Greenfield? Got pics?

Me no Engurish!

Oh man, that Bookstweed is wicked! 40s? [​IMG]

5. DanM

DanM Senior member

As a matter of fact... PM incoming.

There's no material tag, but it feels like wool. All of the suits available on the J Press site are, so I'm going to go with that. Here's a closer picture of the fabric.

[​IMG]

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I thought I was the only one who had this problem. My daughter LOVES the hide and seek in thrifts. She waits at the end of the rack that Im flipping in and buys me 10m to scan. :lol:

BTW, been away for a bit, had a back injury that was a mother to recover from, but Im at 95% and looking forward to contributing again. Also standing up and getting out of the house :)

Made up for lost time and went out for 7 hours today. Paying for it now, but just took my drugs. :slayer:

No pics yet, but Ive got some pretty sweet stuff, including a 10lb Schott leather, 70s AMF Harley Davidson leather vest, BB 100% camel, amazing outerwear, and cool Roundtree and Yorke barn coat, amongst a lot of other stuff Ill totally trade on (some of them ;) ).

Anyhow, hope you have all been well!

7. tben

tben Senior member

Was it Made in the USA? If so, Martin Greenfield.
    Awesome! [​IMG]
    You can say whatever you want right? This is an internet forum...

8. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

Is it the photo angle or is the Oxxford a sport/athletic cut? Shoulders look huge and the waist is drawn in a bit more than usual.

Looks great!
    -sn0wman

9. barrelntrigger

Invoking 1st amendment right!!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

That was used into the early 80's, but most often found in 70's era. Nice pickup, USA made, looks to be a nice cotton flannel.

11. DanM

DanM Senior member

I don't know how I forgot about this one, but I also picked up my first Borrelli today. Crazy thick MOP buttons. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

No wonder I actually found stuff today, Spoo didnt have the Tri-State on lock down. Feel Better [​IMG]

Finally got out today!!!! Been super busy with my "real" job.

I dont always pick up pants, but when I do.......

Polo Ralph Lauren Corneliani Green Twill Flat Front Dress Pants
    Tiny flaw on INSIDE of waistband but otherwise pretty damn like new.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CANALI Brown Multi Color KICK ASS Flat Front Casual Dress Corduroy Pants
    By far my #1 fav pair of cords I've picked up!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ZANELLA Solid Brown Herringbone (Wave) 100% Wool Mens Pleated Dress Pants
    Texture wave on these is pretty cool. Not sure it's really "herringbone" but didnt know what else to call it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

G-STAR Raw Denim Radar Straight Dark Wash
    I know G-Star dosnt get much love, but have a few pairs and like the fit and they flip OK. Theses are pretty much like new also, almost no fading on a dark wash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Welcome back, Spoo. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

I hit one store today. RLPL burgundy tie, couple of toys for my kids (who also played hide and seek at the store), and one of the coolest BB pieces I've seen in a while: beige button down cardi with real MOP buttons. Grabbed it for myself (indenting to shave off the light pilling) but it's much too big. So bigger guys looking for cardis, get at me. Hope to take some shots tomorrow.

Edit: And passed on 3 pairs of some of the nicest pairs of Church's Custom Grades I've ever seen. Black, calf, brouged wing and cap toe in an elongated last with squared toe on two of them. Very good condition, but the color and the price put me off. I think they were tagged 10A, but they were awfully narrow. If anyone is interested, I'm willing to proxy at a very modest fee to cover my time and gas, since this store is a bit of a drive. Gaddamn I wish they were a D width, and at least one of them in brown!

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I just spent the last 30 minutes on my weekly Friday Haul brag post and the browser closed unexpectedly during the last couple sentences!!!!

Sorry guys, not tonight. I have more stuff to photo anyway....plus all the measurements to do.

15. barrelntrigger

Yeah, they make the thickest MOPs I've ever seen! I would go out on a limb and say they make one of the most high end shirts in the world.

ZANELLA Solid Brown Herringbone (Wave) 100% Wool Mens Pleated Dress Pants
    Texture wave on these is pretty cool. Not sure it's really "herringbone" but didnt know what else to call it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

G-STAR Raw Denim Radar Straight Dark Wash
    I know G-Star dosnt get much love, but have a few pairs and like the fit and they flip OK. Theses are pretty much like new also, almost no fading on a dark wash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those Canali are really cool.

16. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Borrelli are defo good dress shirts. My two cents for best dress shirt:

Buttons: Toss up between Borrelli and Fray (Truzzi worth a mention as well).

Fabric: Kiton by a country mile.

Handwork: Kiton for sure, Truzzi / Fray probably next in line.

Style: Cannot beat Tom Ford here - great collars and good athletic cuts :nodding:

Elegant patterns: Etro for me are awesome by having funky but not over crazy designs.

Jizz Mopper: Robert Graham by far the most apt shirt for wiping up a self made mess.

Best Overall: Style has most weight, therefore Tom Ford has the best dress shirt for my money with Kiton a close second :happy:

1 person likes this.
  17. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I had 10 minutes in a thrift before having to pick up some kids at a dance lesson. Talk about pressure! But I came away with these boots. Now I have an awesome pair of beater boots. They were beat to hell and the photo is after treating them once with Lexol Leather Conditioner. Not sure about the date but surely at least 45+ years old. The company shuttered in 1986 and I found a photo online (in all places the Bata Shoe Museum) of a ski boot they made in 1945.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

No thrifting today, but my wife and I spent about three hours at the local REI for their "Scratch and Dent" sale...

I came up with a pair of Scarpa rock climbing shoes and a pair of Vibram Fivefingers. The wife scored well with a pair of leather Vasque boots, Acorn shearling slippers (for around the house!), Scarpa rock climbing shoes, a pair of Vibram Fivefingers and a Deuter backpacking pack. We also picked up a cool steel Coleman cooler.

Off to a different REI store tomorrow morning for more of the same before watching the Niners roll in the SuperBowl!

19. Friskydingo

Friskydingo Senior member

Thanks for this heads up. I stopped by a BE exchange and picked up 3 pairs of NWT TWID selvedge jeans. Two for me one for a friend. It's great to add some great denim to my collection for a low price.

20. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Zill fabric is ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.