1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Damn guys, a whole lot of stuff in the last few pages of catching up. Nothing mind blowing today but all available stuff from one stop:

[​IMG]
    Vintage Pendleton. Large. Has the throat loop whatever that's called
    Edit: totally missed a whole in it. might hang on to it now.

[​IMG]
    Paul Smith made in Italy. 15/38

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gieves & Hawkes Navy Wool/Cashmere Blazer with sword buttons. 42L

And this was too cool to pass up. Anyone want to guess when it's from? 50s?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. suited

suited Senior member

Very nice. If the sleeves are right, I might throw a bid on it. Going up this thursday?

3. yossi

yossi Well-Known Member

Not tagged, but I'd eyeball it as a 38 S.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Depends who made it..... need to base DK stuff off the maker tag, but 99% pass.

[​IMG]

5. yossi

yossi Well-Known Member

Great haul, great pics. I used to make it to northern Europe on the reg for work, but it's been a few years now. This made me miss it like crazy. Nobody does cozy like Austrians and Germans.

6. yossi

yossi Well-Known Member

Former copyeditor here. Also someone who's hired about 30 people in the last few years. The details of grammar and spelling are unimportant in business and personal communication (in America in 2013, at any rate). Clarity is vital, however, and the best way to ensure you're being clear is to follow the rules of grammar. When you skip periods, commas, etc., it's a fuck-you to the reader - you're asking them to do work you're too lazy to do.

Also, I think the "kids these days text and that's why they can't spell LOL" argument is pure bullshit. People said the same thing about email 15 years ago; they said the same thing about typewriters 50 years ago; they said the same thing when Latin stopped being mandatory 100 years ago. Language evolves and thank god for it.

Hey, how do you guys get thrift smell off your kid's hair when he hides in the men's pants section at the GW for 20 minutes?

7. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Senior member

Welcome to the club buddy. I came up on a recent Dior Homme jacket last year. It was from SS12 and nearly had a heart attack when I found it.
    Anyway, This piece here looks like its from AW03. Awesome find.

8. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it! When I saw it, I was honestly just shocked. Next thought was about the pants as I couldn't find them. I tore through the men's through the two or three men's pants sections without luck. Finally found them with....you guessed it, women's pants. I've found a lot of the big Italian names, Brioni, San Andrea, etc., but it's definitely something I wouldn't have expected and liken these types of finds to hitting 21 at blackjack when you just upped your bet. I can't wait until you find the next one, Beck!! I know you just got back from Japan Nat, but if you (and Beck, Yossi, or anyone else) ever feel the need to hit up Austria/Southern Germany, I'd be happy to take you around. It's a different ballgame here (MUCH small stores, generally higher prices), so I'm not sure it would be as fun, but interesting nonetheless. The food was actually very good. I just went to the first place that I saw when I decided I needed a short break and it happened to have a great menu.
    As I said, I didn't mean to pick on you but it definitely helps!!! :)
    Nice find!
    Agreed! +1!
    Whoa, nice! I find pricing like that to be funny. Absolutely no consideration to value/cost, simply a markup from the wholesale price.
    Incredible good advice, well said!
    :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer: I had to show my wife that post, she laughed!! What do I win? Polyester YSL tie?? :D
    That is a cool sweater! No idea as far as age is concerned, but old and interesting!
    Thank you, a very nice compliment. What type of work are you in that took you to northern Europe??

9. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Buffalo Exchange score - Epaulet Rivet Chinos in my size. N/A

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. HansderHund

Disregard my above question, you answered it! That is true on all accounts. Missing commas really throw me, I have to read the sentence again, mentally placing a comma in order to fully understand it. Without the needed comma two separate the clauses/thoughts, I read it together in one stream, if that makes sense.

Hahahaha

Thanks for the info! I know little about Dior, so that will help me figure it out a bit. I have no idea if there is a difference between years on what is (or would be) more valuable than something else and there is limited info online for valuation purposes.

You found one from 2012?! That's amazing! Someone must have quite a bit to throw away or is in the ground. :D

11. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I enjoyed Ian's stream-of-consciousness post. He's a young dude. Cut him some slack. This is, after all, an internet forum. With people being able to access this thread on a mobile phone, it's going to happen more often. If it was DM7, you'd be all like, "Dude, can I get you anything?"

12. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

4 RG shirts sold for about 100 each. Thank you mid life crisis

13. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

Went out on a date with my wife and stopped by a vintage store - more costumes than anything, but looking around, I saw these tuxedo shoes and noticed they were some old school Johnston & Murphy Aristocraft shoes. Looked to have been worn very little and was considering the flip price but then dang.. noticed that they were in my size. Fit like a glove. Any guess how old they are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't worn a tux in the last 15 years since I stopped performing. My old Pierre Cardin tux wouldn't come close to fitting anyway.

Anyway, this starts a quest for me for a tux in about a 44L. If any of you runs across one, I'm not so proud that I have to be the one to find it.. :)

Thanks,

-sn0wman

14. mainy

mainy Senior member

sorry guys english is my second lanugage

15. mhtcjt37

mhtcjt37 Senior member

I'll try to start getting some more pictures up of stuff I've picked up lately. Some suits today from 2 shops. All are available but had to pay above thrift prices on some.

BBGF with Loro Piana Super 120's tagged a 46R but I believe its closer to a 44.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul Stuart Suit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holland and Sherry Suit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 Paul Stuarts by Southwick- I believe they are both 40's or 41's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Lol. I think it involves the same process as the shirt whitening method. Although, you may need to leave them in the solution for a few extra days.

Anyone know how old this label is? The VFG didn't give up but one tag reference for Lee.
    [​IMG]

17. HansderHund

I don't think you intended to start a debate on the merits of using proper grammar, but since I started the side conversation, I'll offer my piece.

I understand that he's young and this is an informal platform, which is why no one is asking people to use "could have" instead of "could of." * I'm not suggesting that people learn the difference between "then" and "than."** I'm not asking anyone to avoid ending their sentence in a preposition.***

I just offered a bit of advice in order to help. It would be the same for any member, DM7, Spoo, et al.

Again, I didn't mean to blatantly insult anyone nor did I intend to start "Thrift Thread Gun Debate, 2013."

*Could of is often the mistaken transliteration of "could've," which is the contraction for "could have." In nearly all cases, could have is correct.

** "Then" marks time sequence and often means "next." "Than" shows the comparative. z.B: I will eat lunch and then I will go to work. I am taller than him.

*** Not a concrete rule in English. However, prepositions are best avoided at the end of sentences in order to avoid confusion and leave a sentence open-ended. z.B.: "Where are you at?" becomes "Where are you?"

:teach::happy::smarmy::fistbump:

18. HansderHund

I'm in the midst of doing ebay stuff, so I thought I'd post a few pictures of my Kent brush and shave set that I referenced yesterday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. DanM

DanM Senior member

Going to go ahead and spoiler, lots of pics from today.

Time for my favorite show

[​IMG]

(cue The Who)

First up, some stuff I picked up earlier in the week. Orvis down vest, several sweaters: Pringle, Pendleton, Barbour left to right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Couple of ties, BB and a PRL wool. Nothing special, but they fit my style.

[​IMG]

RLPL linen pants, made in Italy.

[​IMG]

Now the fun stuff. Oxxford blazer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brookstweed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two pairs of Incotex. Incochino and Chinolino.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bills Khakis cords.

[​IMG]

These next three blew my mind. I rarely ever see J Press stuff here. Sport coat and dress slacks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

aaaaand Pressidential.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paid a little bit more than my regular thrift prices for these, but being a 50% off day at that thrift and totally stoked at seeing any J Press, worth it.

How'd I do?

20. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Nice work Dan...love the Press :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.