• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, Burzum is the music of a dude who calls himself Count Grishnackh. His "claim to fame" is that he murdered a member of fellow Norwegian metal band - the also mentioned Mayhem- and then went out and burned some churches. Rad dude.
The due that Grishnackh killed - he called himself Euronymous - has a ridiculous story associated with him, as well. Basically, one of the singers of Mayhem killed himself by slitting his wrists and then taking his head off with a shotgun. Euronymous found him and took a picture of the corpse. This picture became the cover of a Mayhem album (not the one you mentioned).
For a cool look at the current Norwegian metal scene, check out this photo series by Peter Beste:
http://www.peterbeste.com/home/index.php?/photography/black-metal-i/

Needs to give these guys an honorable mention.

Yeah I saw that pic of dude with his brains shot out, sold that LP with that cover for $375. His nickname was dead, quite apt / ironic. Know next to nothing about that guy Count Grishnackh, I did read he killed that Mayhem guy for .... no reason .......
Black metal is crazy stuff, too noisy to be called music. I guess the Norwegians skipped out on the crazy punk scene in early 80's and went all punked up in the 90's. Difference is their punk music was not punk at all, it was some kind of goat licking hail to Odin weird fusion of thrash metal and Cradle of Filth screechy ****. Only band out of the collection I got that was tolerable was Bathory. They had that whole viking thing going on, it was pleasant and quite epic. I may invest in some cd's from this band when I get around to it.
I am with Nataku on musical tastes, nothing beats a bit of late 60's / early 70's music.
Currently investing my musical mind towards mid 80's - recent Neo Folk. Right now Death in June, Sol Invictus, Faun, and Darkwood (a wonderful German band) are my current musical obsessions. Also have a thing for Devil Doll, a weird prog band hailing from Slovenia that are simply marvelous.
I am also embarrassed to report I have been occasionally playing Nightwish - that girl can sure belt out them operatic vocals. She is quite hot also, in a goth chick kinda way...
peepwall[1].gif

While we are on the subject of metal related sub genres, anyone into grindcore? We were trying to start a grindcore band a few years ago...

If you are interested, check out these guys. Annoying as hell...

We saw these guys opening up for those guys few years back when we were into going to shows.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

hey spoo how would you rock this, I thrifted this d and g blazer a bit ago and decided it fit too nicely and was worth too little to flip but it's pinstriped are hard to work with

I would rock it by not rocking it at all. :)

Though I suppose you can **** its wrists and shoot it with a shotgun and make it an awesome album cover for your thrift scrapbook.

chiron

Reaction score
Something is wrong now on eBay, perhaps too many people peddling their wares and prices are driven rock bottom. It is now actually cheaper to kop on eBay all the high end gear that you want versus going out to get from a thrift. Only notable exception would be suiting / jackets / shoes, everything else is cheaper on eBay than actual thrift store. Bottom line, thrifting is becoming a joke what with markups in most GW's now and a cheap eBay...

I was running the numbers and the answer is yes... you can get a better deal on eBay. You Save : Time, Gas, Sales Tax and get ebay bucks!!! Its like going to 10 GW or Savers all at once!!!!

People were also working and making more money. Supply may be up but demand is also down.
More importantly, this kind of nostalgia is often the intro to devolving into one of our various thread-downs (what has this thread become, or the morals of thrifting, etc.). Let's not, but remember the times we did.
biggrin.gif

Tastes change ... what was selling 2 or 3 years ago may not be in now. You have thrifters buying "old" crap based on trends posts 2-3 years ago. Then wondering why it wont sell for what it did 2-3 years ago. Everything has a shelf-life and so do most brands. There are very few brands / styles that are timeless...

I would post pics of my finds but find the same things so its redundant.
rimshot.gif

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never been especially fond of the Norwegian stuff. Too, uh, dark. And, from a recording standpoint, it is all too lo-fi/muddy. Swedish metal, on the other hand...

I'm not sure where Dethklok fits into that continuum...

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up this Vintage Elmer Fudd hunting cap today to annoy the crap out of my wife. So far it has been quite successful.:devil:
Maui Jim Sunglasses not thrifted, paid full retail...plus the cost of prescription lenses. I still love them.

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/486250/

plus one on the Maui Jims. Sometimes, you just gotta pay to play. No h8.

LL
LL
LL

I have no need for such a coat but continue to look for one. Great find! Too big for Dig. :(

Shows about an inch and a half of cuff, which I'm not wild about, but I'll see about having that let out a bit. Other than that, I think it fits great.

Agreed on the cuff length but otherwise, great fit and great find!

Yeah. eBay is still great, just nowhere near what it was before. Not complaining, just reminiscing, I guess. I'm living solely off of it right now as I was laid off earlier this year.
Wow - $900?!? Crazy! Yeah, my niche has always been late 60's and early 70's psych/prog/obscure rock. A lot of titles still command very high prices, but a lot have also dropped. How do I know? I used to scour eBay for deals 10+ years ago and could never afford this stuff. These days I'm constantly on eBay buying LPs I was never able to afford years back. This system works both ways. :)

Nat. I have a few items that are too large that I had planned to resell but never caught the bug. PM me. I'm putting this here because I'll forget to PM you after I get done with this post. :lol:

... even George shirts are more expensive in some thrifts than Walmart - and at Walmart they are new :facepalm:

inorite?
dunno.gif

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
plus one on the Maui Jims. Sometimes, you just gotta pay to play. No h8.
I have been wearing glasses for about 15 years and this is my first pair of prescription sunglasses. I drive 45 minutes east in the AM and 45 minutes west in the afternoon. They are awesome, I don't know why I didn't get them sooner.

When it was time to get new glasses this year, I was only going to get the sunglasses, using my insurance. BUT...I broke my regular glasses a few weeks before, so I had to get them too. The insurance only covers one pair per year. During the time of my appointment, the place was under constructiion and had very very very poor lighting....as if it's not hard enough to try on frames when you have bad eyesight. I was so frustrated with trying to find a nice pair and also see the little pricetags, that I finally just said "Eff it, I am not going to look at the price and just get two pairs I like the most." $850 later (after insurance) I had two pairs I love. I saved a little more money by using my FSA and paying for them with pre taxed money, but the price still stung a little.

But hey, I measure purchases like these in pairs of shoes anyway.

Simple Thrifting Math:

$850 = about 10 pairs of average shoes sold on ebay.
10 pairs of average shoes at the thrift store = $40-50.

Therefore:
1 pair of Prescription Oakley Glasses
and 1 pair of Prescription Maui Jim Sunglasses
= $40-50

Works for me.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found myself a navy blazer today (fits better than my old one). Only trouble is that it has Royal Navy buttons, and I don't qualify.
So, two questions: first, anyone want a set of royal navy marines brass buttons? 2 large, 8 small. Second, anyone know a good place to find some interesting new ones for a reasonable price?
Edit: Royal Marines, not Royal Navy.
Cptjeff, did you find any buttons? I found 2 large and 6 small brass buttons with bees on them, thought they were odd.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
<~~~LASIK surgery in 1999. Kind of late in life so I needed readers almost from the start but otherwise, I'm glad I spent the money. Pricy then but I hear it's much cheaper now.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife and I want to do it, but are a bit chickenshit. A friend of a friend was having it done and a needle or something exploded in his eye, now he is half blind. Probably will still do it eventually.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have my own "horror story". Mine was done back when they cut a flap in the cornea and flipped it aside to give the laser access. There was a miscut on my first eye and everything stopped. I had to wait 3 months for it to heal before I could come back for a do over. I didn't care. I was THAT determined to lose the specs.

Exploding needle? Yikes. I don't recall any needles but things may be different now.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A few more things from yesterday

Ferragamo Tassel Loafers 9 D, barely worn

Gian Luca Napoli Nailhead Suit
44R 37/30, Fused, Double Vented, Pick Stitched, Hand Finished Collar, Pleated and Cuffed

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked these Church's up on the bay for thrift prices, but can anyone help decipher the chicken-scratch that goes for information on the insole of these?
Thanks in advance.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I want to do it, but are a bit chickenshit. A friend of a friend was having it done and a needle or something exploded in his eye, now he is half blind. Probably will still do it eventually.
they have a new process where you can blink and move your eye and there are no repercussions and it is much safer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics