• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time poster, long time thrifter.
Finds from 15min of looking at goodwill on sunday-
60's navy&black (midnight?) herringbone cashmere Oxxford suit in excellent condition.
WTTcs.jpg

4B2Nz.jpg

4B2Nz.jpg

bounce2.gif

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First piece of "Warriors of Radness" I've seen in a thrift. Usually I'm not a big fan of their stuff, but I'm considering rocking this:

In other outerwear news, this weird Helmut Lang, made in Italy with a covered placket and velcro fasteners:

Found some AE Waldens (11b) and took them from this:

To this:

And a pair of Maui Jims in decent shape:

Shoes, Glasses and Helmut Lang piece are available. WOR available if it doesn't end up fitting right.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My little brother caught schizophrenia, my dad had a heart scare, an editorial regime change jettisoned what would have been my first significant publication, my tooth got infected, my ladyfriend walked out, my cat died, and my zip code became ground zero for the west nile virus. Guess it's been a tough month.
In the plus column, I just found my first Chester Barrie sport coat, what what...?
:satisfied:

jesus christ brother
hang in there

jcubzzz

Reaction score
picked up some stuff today, all the shirts are available so pm me if you are interested..

Gitman Bros size xl

Hickey Freeman woven in Italy size xl

Brooks Brothers 161/2 34

Burberry Polo size Medium. Can I get an authenticity check?

I thought this izod lacoste jacket was pretty cool

acosbysweater

Reaction score
I also don't think Jil Sander has ever made menswear.

LOL. Stick to trad bro.

eBay is weird that way - you can list something 2 or 3 times and it gets no attention, and the next time you get multiple people bid-warring over it.

Word. Many thanks to Jesse at Put This On for linking to one of my (handsome) offerings and thus bringing attention to all of my listings as a result.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-Press-sil...944770649?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item19d4d2da59

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Spooooo! (insert signal here). Or anyone else that "has wise".

All caps, background color same as a color in the tie, number assigned to this model

Thread of good fortune

Survey says?
This one totally slipped by the tie nazi at the shop it was had at. They have a glass case with ties that will never sell at $20/each.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Preliminary assessment, very real. Hermes ties just falling from the skies lately.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spooooo! (insert signal here). Or anyone else that "has wise".

All caps, background color same as a color in the tie, number assigned to this model

Thread of good fortune

Survey says?
This one totally slipped by the tie nazi at the shop it was had at. They have a glass case with ties that will never sell at $20/each.

Authentic.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

. . . "YOUR A SENIOR CITIZEN RIGHT?" . .  [/SIZE]....I am 32....[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Is your name Dennis by any chance?

[Hipsterly insert cool you-tube recording of "Welcome Back Cotter ... ah, it's late. eff it] Good to have you back, bro. We were worried. You don't call, you don't write...

And, you have no idea. Really.

Srsly, Spoo. For a dude with some of the best taste evar, you got some serious gaud to deal with in terms of sheet and carpet style. Just 'cause it's expensive don't make it good. Isn't that one of the lessons of this thread? How often can they recycle greek key designs and disembodied mythological heads?

MYSTERY GIVEAWAY ROUND

Hate to pile on, but what is this, the Bank Bailout, with the absence of strings attached? Can we get at least a "Must Post Thrift Fit" qualifier?

Last edited:

guyver00

Reaction score
I vote legit, based on the loop and the diagonal weave of the silk.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Sweeeet! This was the last place I ever thought I'd find a tie this nice, mostly 4 inch wide polyester stuff in between stained may co. pieces.

Funny enough, a worker was hanging some things up, saw me and asked if I'd found anything good yet. I told her not yet and then this jumped into my hands.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent the weekend visiting family out of state. No time to hit thrifts, except for one next door to a restaurant I was at with family. Everybody found something:

me: Chipp sharks emblematic tie
dad: Isaia suit
mom: recent J. Crew trench coat
bro: Brooks Brothers OCBD from the 70s

My best score, though, was a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck ballpoint my dad gave me from his collection.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent the weekend visiting family out of state. No time to hit thrifts, except for one next door to a restaurant I was at with family. Everybody found something:
me: Chipp sharks emblematic tie
dad: Isaia suit
mom: recent J. Crew trench coat
bro: Brooks Brothers OCBD from the 70s
My best score, though, was a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck ballpoint my dad gave me from his collection.

Sounds like your dad kicked your ass
lol8[1].gif

Mox C

Reaction score

This would just be for the house, not to flip. But I don't really want to buy a print. I'll go take a look again tomorrow and decide.

From my admittedly limited experience, unless it's a signed and numbered print (often an original style lithograph), most of the monetary value will be in the frame. If it's an offset lithograph (poster), then the resale will be piddly.

A lithograph will have colors of solid ink; an offset lithograph will be made up of many colored dots. A Giclée (inkjet) print will also have solid color, so that can get tricky to identify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads