• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got yelled at for going thru a rack of clothes that had not yet been out out

I always ask the clerk if I can check out the racks. lol I haven't had anyone denied me yet.

The BB, maybe, if it fits you 100% perfect and you needed that to fill a hole in your closet, but I'd go return everything else or at least don't post it here as you will get 'yelled' at by some mean people who kick carts...zing (too soon
puzzled.gif
)

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Ouch!

I am sorry, it took me this thread and some decent scores to become a dick...
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

3===D~~~ pew pew pew

That looks damn sturdy! Are those key holes? Did it come with keys?

Short notice, but heres from a long time ago...
272a83b7.jpg

dacc4daa.jpg

22f8bb84.jpg

Did you happen to post on a thread few years ago where folks were showing off their greens along with Jason from Thick as Thieves?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Did you happen to post on a thread few years ago where folks were showing off their greens along with Jason from Thick as Thieves?

I may have, but dunno. Help me understand?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hugo Boss Black/Black
Tagged: 15.5-32/33 Chest (pit to pit) 22.50" Shoulder (seam to seam) 18.75" Arm (shoulder seam to cuff) 25.25"
PM on the way. . . . .
... my goal is to amass a versatile classic, basic mc wardrobe (esp suits) for myself on the cheap while covering my tailoring/extraneous costs. when i tick off all the boxes, i will scale it way back and let the next guy get the goods. also, do any seasoned thrifters care to post about their thrift philosophy (why you thrift vs. buy retail, flipping, using ebay, etc.), method (how you attack a given store) or rules (only thrift things you would wear yourself, etc.)?
Here's the first post of an excellent thread on what you should be looking for to build your wardrobe. If you want to follow it further, click on the little quote-arrow
next to Manton's name and you will be transported to the thread here on SF. This is my bible for my personal search. The black tie rig alone has taken nearly a year and I'm still not done.
-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold -mid gray flannel pants -decent, non-chino khakis -at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket -a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit -a navy worsted single breasted suit -a white FC shirt -several blue BC shirts, at least one BD -black stitch caps -some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you) -loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell -a solid black tie, knit or grenadine -a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine -a plain white linen hanky For the "more advanced" players: -at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both) -at least one linen suit -at least one pair of brown suede shoes -at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check -at least one wool or cashmere tie -at least one linen or linen blend tie If necessary -A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes -An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camel

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I promised my wife that all of the time spent in thrift stores and keeping up with work email while on vacation will pay off. She is expecting results. ....

warning31.jpg

stop-sign1.jpg

PUT THE TIE
ON YOUR TIE RACK
AND STEP AWAY!

You are currently in possession of one of the most perfectly thrifted "wedding ties" EVAR. If you let it get away from you, you might incur the unimaginable wrath of the thrift gods in a manner so great that they will curse not only you but 10 to 20 of the rest of us as well.

You WILL attend weddings in the future and you will come to SF to ask what tie you should wear to these events. Upon learning that you have sold your most perfect RLPL Glen Plaid wedding tie for a few shekels, your life will be without value to you.

Unless, of course, you send it to me.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have, but dunno. Help me understand?

I think it was a few years ago someone started a post within the official tweed appreciation thread titled to the effect of "show us your green blah blah". But I think I've might of been mistaken because your jacket is obviously corduroy...Anyhow, I distinctively remembered Jason wearing a green tweed jacket, silver or white pants, green socks, and brown wingtips while sitting on a green couch. That was the mad ****! He pulled it off!!! I think I might of saved the picture...brb going to dig...

beowolf

Reaction score

Picked this Tom James canvassed suit from ebay for 81 bucks this weekend. It matches my measurements with some extra fabric for tweaks here and there.

MarkThomas

Reaction score
Yesterday.

Zegna wool/cashmere/mohair jacket. Available.
Double vent
Measurements (approx):
Shoulder - 19"
Chest - 21.5"
Waist - 20.5"

Two Hickey Freeman tweeds, both 44R.

1. Single vent, unlined. Available.

2. Single vent, lined. Tear in the liner at the top of the vent. ON HOLD.

Paul Stewart braided stretch belt, made in Italy, 32. Available.

Last edited:

thriftydood

Reaction score
The Zegna tie looks real and recent. Nice score.

posting my finds for the last few weeks.

First up Zegna size 9D. Too small for me so PM if interested.

Brooks Brothers silk and cotton knit and Ermenegildo Zegna tie. Can I get an authenticity check on the tie?

thriftydood

Reaction score
That's your first big thrifting trip? Wow. I would have passed on the Burberrys sportcoat (unless it fits you), and maybe some of the ties, but the rest is amazing stuff.
Long day, went thrifting all day, gone from the house for 12 hours, hit 16 stores.

Let's start with the ties, all available

BB,BB,BB,Zegna,Hickey Freeman, Brioni

Then a couple shirts for Ebay, Ted Baker and Ben Sherman

BB 1818 Madison 46R Sport Coat, Probably Available

Then an interesting LL Bean Sport Coat, Available

An older Burberry's Sport Coat, appears to be about a 44, Available

Canali sport shirt, available

Paul Smith Shirt, available

Brioni Shirt, Available

4 Interesting shirts, and yes those labels are purple...maybe available

And then the Robert Talbott Collection, 11 in total, some probably available

How did I do for my first big thrifting trip?

If you are interested in anything, let me know and I can provide better pics.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to hit you all with this thrift pic, posted on the other forum and forgot to cross-post.

After a long day of christening.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got back from a long weekend in the North Woods and wanted to give a shout out to JPMorris for hooking me up with the most redonkulus suit! :slayer: :slayer: Pics after it returns from the tailors, and also to Hansdurhund for some sweet Marc Jacobs sunglasses and a Lacoste long sleeve shirt for the wife, :D I didn't get to do any thrifting up there, however, by buddy's mom, whose house we were staying at, is an antiques dealer and she hooked me up with a vintage Hudson Bay blanket! One more thing to check off the list. :nodding: Pics when it returns from the cleaners.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
speaking of thrift fits.

Tie - BB Makers Glenplaid - $1.25
Watch - Ironman Tri Watch - $0.99
Clinks - Xmas present from years ago (union jacks) Free
Wedding Band Stainless Steel :D
HF (MTM?) Suit from 1989 without a single flaw - $4.25
Banana Repub Made in Italy Shirt - $3.99
(not pictured)
Church's from EazyE

think something funky was going on with shirt collar / tie knot (too tight)

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of thrift fits.

Tie - BB Makers Glenplaid - $1.25
Watch - Ironman Tri Watch - $0.99
Clinks - Xmas present from years ago (union jacks) Free
Wedding Band Stainless Steel :D
HF (MTM?) Suit from 1989 without a single flaw - $4.25
Banana Repub Made in Italy Shirt - $3.99
(not pictured)
Church's from EazyE

think something funky was going on with shirt collar / tie knot (too tight)

Looks good, but you should find a dressier watch to go with a suit.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
Looks good, but you should find a dressier watch to go with a suit.

hehehe. agreed. competed in my first triathlon this weekend and havent wanted to take it off since :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads