The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

So ... my wife just told me I'll have five free hours in Vancouver BC next Friday. Thifting thoughts? (We get there Tuesday night and leave Sunday at 6, so it's not like I'll be spending my entire time thrifting -- just a little bit.)

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Spoo, care to throw up a green cord thrift pic so I know how I should rock these out in the fall? [​IMG] PM sent obviously

3. workthatwedo

workthatwedo Senior member

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Short notice, but heres from a long time ago...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Hells to the yeah. That ought to do well.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

7. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Spoo, what say you on those shoooes? Who made them, diggin that perf pattern on the toe.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks, that shirt was Finamore. Rug is Versace.

Loved those shoes. Just a bit too big so I had to sell them. John Lobb, "Towcester".

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

Damn, I never thought I'd see anyone look awesome in a corduroy suit, but you did it. Nice watch too!

10. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Agreed. So that's how it's done, huh. :teach:

11. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I actually picked up a very slim vintage military peacoat which only needed the arms let out an inch or so. Fits beautifully and will never wear out. Thanks though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matty long legs [​IMG]

Actually, I bought it for $49.99 + tax + $10 shipping in April, 2011.
    [​IMG]

Re: Buying things from a store with a physical and online presence. Try shopping online rather than going into the store. Generally only LA and NYC are going to get the high end, low margin brands in store. Urban Outfitters and J Crew, for example, sell high end boutique brands only online or in the case of J Crew, both online and at ONE specialty J Crew in NYC. Nothing beats kopping deals in your underwear.

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Wear with just about any odd jacket, or sweaters. Or an oxford with the sleeves rolled up. Think of them as a cross between chinos and olive trousers- both pretty easy things to wear IMO.

Oh, and just about any saturated hue matches. And earthtones.

13. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I brought a few things home today and I only took a few photos. The photos are especially low quality as I'm in a hotel room with terrible lighting and I took about 5 minutes to do them.

Anyway...

Bill's Khakis. Size 34, double pleats NWT and unhemmed. Available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Canali Shirt, still has the dry cleaning tags on it. Size 42. Available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This thing is awesome and I would wear it all fall/winter if it fit. PRL made in Italy by Corneliani. Working cuffs, 39R. Unavailable for the moment, but will make it available for the right price to avoid eBay. :satisfied:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Burberry Golf sweater vest. Is Burberry Golf a thing? It's wool, made in Italy and a size L. It's navy, not cobalt or whatever blue the first washed out photo appears. Available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I found my first RLPL out in the wild and I have to say that it's a fun feeling. Unavailable at the moment because of this. Spoo, PM is on its way!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one was a bit pricey as far as ties go, but it looks to be NWT. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, another gamble. It's a ski jacket by Descente. It's well constructed and was made in Japan. I see that the retro ski suits do well, but any ideas on the jackets? Several were listed with decent BIN prices, but didn't sell. Is that because there is no market or that the ski season is still a little ways away? I have great ski stuff, so I don't need it. I ski only about once a year and the rest of the time my pants/jacket is used to take the dog to fields or the park to run in the snow. Any ideas from skiers?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Burberry Golf is very real indeed.

RLPL tie is friggin kick ass.

Valentino tie? Yeah it will sell. Local Saks outlet here has them priced at 70bucks, if it is under 15bucks I reckon worth getting. Not the best quality in the world, but not awful either.

15. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Thanks for the help. I'd never seen Burberry Golf, but it seemed legit enough. It was one of those things where you just happen to grab something off the rack at random and it's something worthwhile. Then, you scour the rack hoping it wasn't a fluke and find nothing more.

I love the RLPL tie and I'm sure I'd find a few uses for it but I think it will hit eBay. I promised my wife that all of the time spent in thrift stores and keeping up with work email while on vacation will pay off. She is expecting results.

I thought the same about the Valentino tie. Quality isn't too bad, but I wouldn't buy one retail. It was $9, so I'm just looking to get my money back on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.