1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG] what a waster on those jackets getting cut up!
    Somebody post some good finds so this thread can be inspirational again.

edit.. at least new chukkas are good!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Wow, great finds all around, guys.

I know I have not been around much, school starting has already crushed by thrifting outings to a minimal. I have a few things to post when I get pictures but nothing great (Pendleton Tweed and some Pendleton ties among some other basic stuff).

But, big shoutout to los_face for hooking me up with an awesome birthday gift for the GF, and a little something for me too. I know he doesn't often post here, but hes a great dude!

3. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Well-Known Member

I was headed home from a meeting... I thought I'd make a quick stop of it. It's in a nice part of town, it's generally well organized and they're only really busy on the weekends.

This was store that I hadn't checked out in a couple of weeks and it normally produces some killer stuff (my last stop I picked up a cashmere Kiton SC)

I usually wear jeans, a t-shirt and maybe some Clarks or Sperrys.

I'm going to keep a duffel bag with a change of thrift-appropriate gear in my car from now on.

4. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is really insane. I always thrift grungy, if I can. Throw on some boat shoes that can take a beating or some Nikes. It would have been hard for me to contain calm like you did (envisions Frenchy moment...)

5. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

I am curious if Spoo thrifts in his $20,000 outfits

6. AHS

AHS Well-Known Member

Two seven-fold Kitons. :) One orange, the other purplish navy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also... two Zegnas, one Luciano Barbera.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I will hold on to the Kitons. At least the navy... but the Zegnas and Barbera are available at cost plus shipping if anyone wants them. The polka dot Zegna shows some wear.

AHS

1 person likes this.
  7. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

New challenge? Who can thrift in the most ridiculously priced (at retail) outfit? Preferably all thrifted, of course...

8. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Hmmm, Kiton 90/10 vicuna suit, Lobbs Captoes, Kiton shirt, Hermes Tie = $7K+$1K+$700+$200 =$8.9K MSRP. Best I could do regarding thrifted only merchandise. I could cheat and add a Hermes Cashmere overcoat but I never wear that thing nor would do so due to weather here. Adding in overcoat could make me go close to $15K.

On flip side, cheapest but still quality = BB 1818 suit, AE Park Aves, Hugo Boss shirt, Brooks Brothers Tie = $900+$300+$125+$60 = $1385.

On examination, cheapest possible thrifted smart outfit still priced over $1K based on MSRP.

9. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

I like this idea, however I think my most expensive suit is a HF or a Madison BB. I will not be in the running :/

10. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

Not sure if it was worth picking up, it was a bit above normal prices. There is a smudge on the shoulder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

I should know this by now but are the Innocenti Oro label Tom James suits of any quality. I see some of the Regs pick them up once and a while but not that often. I found a sick green/blue windowpane with ticket pocket, dual vents, etc that will likely fit with some tailoring but it was $15. Style is there but how is quality?

12. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

13. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Anybody have a line on Olympic delegate badges? I found a blazer with a 96 Atlanta patch from the Denmark delegation. Probably not worth anything, but it was cool to see.

Also, air force uniform from 1962?

14. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

You did better than I would have. I would have had a Frenchy moment and gone Rascal tipping.

15. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Well-Known Member

Pure brag from the record shop yesterday with the exception of the shirt in the lower right corner from the day before. Starting at the top L-R.

Borrelli, Zegna, (for me) Battistoni, Brioni, Kiton, Etro, RG, RG, ZegnaSport summery as fuck linen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Borrelli has some of the worst neck stains ever, but at $2.95 I figure it's worth a shot if for nothing else buttons... But yeah I have to try cleaning it up first. The rest of them are pretty much tip top, and pretty much too big for most of you (17-17.5).

16. staxringold

staxringold Well-Known Member

Dang AHS, super nice tie haul! That 2nd Kiton is especially nice, IMO, and a thrifted 7-fold Kiton? Yowza.

My only find, Talbott BoC

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today was a near-miss day, tho, sadly. Am currently following an eBay listing very similar to this navy, 2 button, Hickey Freeman bespoke with Loro Piana fabric suit. Store tagged it as a 52 jacket (though seems fatter around the middle, more 54 or even 56ish), but the real kicker was the pants. 50x28. Yowza. I'll trust tailoring for a lot of things, but not to take 10 inches out of a waist.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sigh... Also left a Valentino Roma shirt, that's the lesser diffusion line right? Might've snagged for myself, but too small.

17. jcb9

jcb9 Well-Known Member

That has been there for a while. By the way, I cleaned out that store yesterday. Sorry :/

18. AHS

AHS Well-Known Member

Zegnas and Barbera claimed.

Thanks,

AHS

19. jcb9

jcb9 Well-Known Member

I have picked up Tom James. I pick up a suit once to flip on the bay but could not get rid of it so it went back to Goodwill. Now I only pick them up for myself when it is something in mint condition (like the Holland & Sherry suit I recently copped!). I think the quality is certainly decent enough to wear.

20. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

Damn, every time I tried to catch up to this thread I would just fall farther behind... for a week. Finally gave up and skipped several days worth. Saw the amazing Cucinelli sweater finds. Gotta say that seems like the haul of the last few days (sorry Mainy).

Haven't had much time for thrifting but I've got a few things to show tonight and the stuff I picked up last weekend in Buffalo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.