• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

marf

Reaction score
Had a very succsessful morning, I'm bout to head up to the north woods, so I cant post deets now, but quickly, Woolrich waxed cotton jacket w/matching scarf, Lands End Hudson Bay pull over, 5 BB slim fit small BD's in sweet patterns, a tail coat dated 1937, some other stuff. See you guys in a few days!
Nice Plycraft Chair! Thrifted as well?

MarkThomas

Reaction score
Sorry dude, I'd definitely avoid suede in winter..one day traipsing through snow in those will ruin them. I know we don't have salt all over the streets here, but if it's not sunny and 100% dry outside, I don't wear any of my suede items. Think Danner or Vasque hiking boots for winter, and LL Bean boots for the rainy transition between any of the seasons.

I've got a few pairs of boots that I wear in the snow to keep my feet dry.
I don't wear any of my suedes in wet weather either but I'm definitely not afraid of them getting a little wet (especially a cheap shoe like this one). Spray on waterproofing works wonders for this. You can run the shoes under a faucet after waterproofing is applied and the water just beads off without a trace. Pretty amazing actually.

On a related note, I had an entire large Coke from Chick-Fil-A spill on a pair of suede brogues the other day (it was such a random sequence of events I still don't fully understand what happened). Fairly new and not having waterproofed them, the toe boxes all the way back to the laces were drenched in soda. I just ran them both under warm water to rinse, used a suede brush to agitate, put shoe trees in and they were in perfect shape after drying overnight. I was pretty surprised.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Wait. So in absolutely no defense of Macklemore, you're gonna drop Earl Sweatshirt's name as someone who is putting out fire? Really? You got the Joe Buddens discography queued up as well?

He's young, he's radically changing his approach to hip hop before the age of 20, he's part of a crew of people who are among the most motivated and creative in hip hop. So yeah, I'm throwing him out there as someone who could go through several distinct phases of a career, unlike someone in Macklemore's shoes who has no world view outside of living in Hipsterville, USA (Cap Hill in Seattle).

I've got a few pairs of boots that I wear in the snow to keep my feet dry.
I don't wear any of my suedes in wet weather either but I'm definitely not afraid of them getting a little wet (especially a cheap shoe like this one). Spray on waterproofing works wonders for this. You can run the shoes under a faucet after waterproofing is applied and the water just beads off without a trace. Pretty amazing actually.

On a related note, I had an entire large Coke from Chick-Fil-A spill on a pair of suede brogues the other day (it was such a random sequence of events I still don't fully understand what happened). Fairly new and not having waterproofed them, the toe boxes all the way back to the laces were drenched in soda. I just ran them both under warm water to rinse, used a suede brush to agitate, put shoe trees in and they were in perfect shape after drying overnight. I was pretty surprised.

Point proven...I might have to try some spray and stretch the wearability of my suede shoes. Thanks for the tip

Last edited:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eazy, nice haul of stuff. BTW, that tailcoat is technically a Morning Coat, meant for day wear. I think tailcoat more often refers to the evening equivalent (white tie dress code), but are full dress. If you can get into the 37, you'll probably have more opportunities to wear it than you would white tie and tails (unless you're angling for appointment as an ambassador). If you are selling it, you will want to be sure to mention morning dress.

Either way,
:slayer:

(I've only ever seen one tail coat of either the day or evening variety thrifting, and it was clearly of the "After Six" let's play dress-up variety. Left it.)

MarkThomas

Reaction score
Point proven...I might have to try some spray and stretch the wearability of my suede shoes. Thanks for the tip

Your mileage may vary :)

I use the Allen Edmonds waterproofer but I think there's a lot of brands that work well. I get the AE stuff because I can just go pick it up from Cherry Creek whenever I need.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made in Canada BB Sportcoat, 46 R. As available as a heart attack.

IMG_3015.JPG

And any suggestions about getting the two spots out of this tie? I just couldn't leave this guy behind. I do have three ties that need some help, so I could find another one and make a Tie Crafters order, I guess.

IMG_3016.JPG

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, not really to defend Macklemore's music (I'm not a huge fan of it), but the dude has a fairly interesting story and his music is generally pretty positive. The thrift store song sucks, but other stuff he's done has been pretty popular over the PCNW and for, I think, pretty good reason.

That Odd Future garbage is straight up wet ****. Knuckleheads rapping about ****** women and taking stupid pictures of themselves with Leica repros. Transcendental creativity, for sure.

From your previous posts on music, your seemingly un-ironic defense of OFWGKTA, and your "fit pit" that consisted of a tucked in Sonic Youth shirt, I'd go easy on trying to pull other folks' hipster card.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
From your previous posts on music, your seemingly un-ironic defense of OFWGKTA, and your "fit pit" that consisted of a tucked in Sonic Youth shirt, I'd go easy on trying to pull other folks' hipster card.

If you know anything about rap/hip hop, it's that a lot of the racier stuff involves misogyny, homophobia, racism, murderous intent, etc. If you wish to limit yourself to "positive" rap/hip hop, perhaps this isn't your genre. See: Big L, Gravediggaz, NWA, Kool Keith for examples of "wet ****" to avoid.

Check out Frank Ocean, generally considered a satellite figure in the Odd Future crew, openly bi-sexual, and regarded as a figurehead on the reinvention of R&B and hip hop. I don't think he has personal issues with the Odd Future style or agenda.

Also, sorry to offend you with my youthful fits, but I can't exactly stroll out to a local bar on a Friday night wearing a suit and tie without being sneered at, nor would I want to even try. While I realize tucking in a T-shirt draws attention, it's underwear after all so it's not that far fetched. It's been over 6 months since I've worn a suit at all, first because it's been 90+ degrees nearly every day and also because I would look like a chump in most situations.

Lastly, anyone who attempts to look different is somebody's hipster. It's the Aught's placeholder for outsider, miscreant, ******, devotee of modern jazz, etc.

Last edited:

ahk11

Reaction score
Made in Canada BB Sportcoat, 46 R. As available as a heart attack.

IMG_3015.JPG

And any suggestions about getting the two spots out of this tie? I just couldn't leave this guy behind. I do have three ties that need some help, so I could find another one and make a Tie Crafters order, I guess.

IMG_3016.JPG

I have had pretty good success with the silk and clean JAB sells (it was like $2 during their last blowout sale so i figured why not try it).

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cos & HA: this is a serious question for the two of you: how many tribe called quest, run dmc, biggie or tupac songs can you name off the top of your head?

note: this isn't on some "you youngsters don't know what the real **** is" tip. it's more "did these dudes go straight into this new stuff, or do they have some context about where this music came from?" i'm genuinely curious. back when i was younger, white dudes my age were into nirvana and whatnot. eventually, rap music became widespread, and everyone listened to it, but white dudes still had come from a non-rap background, and didn't go straight into liking hip hop.

also, yes i know i'm making generalizations and whatnot, so what.

Last edited:

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, maybe like 20 songs (in aggregate from those artists) off the top of my head? I'm not into new rap and not really into rap at all (any more, at least). I know decent amount about late 80's and early 90's rap for various reasons (Cosby - on that point, rap was mostly positive before it became mostly negative). Metal, hardcore, various types of punk music were the music of my youth. Still are, I suppose.

Last edited:

rayxlui

Reaction score
Can anyone date this Brooks Brothers suit? I know it's old cause it has signs of hand stitching and it's design is a la Thom Browne.

kravman2011

Reaction score
Found a Canada Goose parka at the local Amvets. $5.99. Does not fit me, but fits my 14 year old son perfectly.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cos & HA: this is a serious question for the two of you: how many tribe called quest, run dmc, biggie or tupac songs can you name off the top of your head?
note: this isn't on some "you youngsters don't know what the real **** is" tip. it's more "did these dudes go straight into this new stuff, or do they have some context about where this music came from?" i'm genuinely curious. back when i was younger, white dudes my age were into nirvana and whatnot. eventually, rap music became widespread, and everyone listened to it, but white dudes still had come from a non-rap background, and didn't go straight into liking hip hop.
also, yes i know i'm making generalizations and whatnot, so what.

Finally someone who speaks English. I have no idea what those two were saying at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics