• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Threw together a quick thrift fit for that thrift store runway contest. I unfortunately got a bit pudgy over the summer from slacking off my exercise regimen and eating too much junk. :\
Thrift fit:
thriftfit.jpg

I forgot who, but someone asked for a fit pit of the Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit shirt I found. Here it is:
IMG_0399.jpg

And the RLBL coat I found Brian asked for. Sorry about the dark pics. I, unfortunately, don't have a beautiful wife that finds horsebutt shoes and takes pictures of me.
frown.gif

IMG_0401.jpg

Where are you that it's cold enough for this outfit?

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
worship.gif

also you skate?!!

Did once. I grew up during the whole Dogtown & Z-Boys / Lords Of Dogtown 70's era of skating...we were called skate-rats...someone always had a cast from a broken wrist. Bumhole central Florida, reading Thrasher like it was the new bible. I quit when someone sneaked into my house and swiped my most choice Gordon & Smith board. Years later I ended up working [briefly] with Craig Stecyk - the photog god for me - prolly the best thing that came out of the whole era.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe it's from American Pie, something about a flute. :smarmy:

Been a looong time since I saw that, I barely remember it, only a few scenes stuck.

- Guy shafting an apple pie and his dad walked in.
- Guy drinks a beer that had blobs of **** in it.
- Dude has to eat dog turd.
- Chef at restaurant shoves french toast down his pants and then serves it to "screech" type guy.
- The guys go to grandpapa's house, he smokes weed and his dog talks to him.

Helluva film, must put on my watch list again :)

It probably says something about my mind that I remember the dodgy bits LOL. Mind you, the flute has got me fascinated now.

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score

Years later I ended up working [briefly] with Craig Stecyk - the photog god for me - prolly the best thing that came out of the whole era. 

One of these days I'll have to tell you about the time I ended up in Grant Brittain's office.

Last edited:

runic

Reaction score

First the PRL made in England suede shooz:

Next the Loake... Now I'm wondering if the PRL are Loake too because the writing looks similar, but I thought only C&J made for PRL in England?

These PRL shoes are made by Alfred Sargent.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, that's a fine looking cake! How long did it take her?

What do I do with this?

IMG_20120830_171214-1.jpg
IMG_20120830_171121.jpg

LOL, I, too, sometimes mistaken Sean John for RLPL.

I will echo Nataku's sentiment, that will not be worth much on the Bay, 40bucks at best. Use it as trade collateral here.
It is not a crime in my opinion to wear a polo slightly baggy particularly if you have it untucked and just moping about in jeans. Slightly baggy helps in hot weather as well, got to get them cool breezes in there. Keep it and use as beater, or suggest you have this as a trade item and would welcome a nice sport coat or a baller shirt in your size for exchange.

RLPL pants on the other hand brings tons on the bay!

Forgot to add another pair of shoes that I picked up last week. They should be great for the fall.
FootJoy Classics 12D at the thrift. Technically I am sure they are supposed to be golf shoes, but they have a red brick textured sole.
footjoysaddles002.jpg

Has anyone had good experience with Footjoy on the Bay? I passed on a pair of burgundy wingtip hard spikes in great condition for $20...A bit too steep for me. Did a quick search on the Bay and wasn't impressed with what I saw.

can we have concert share time? at a recent reel big fish concert, I caught the drumsticks and the lead singer complemented my hand made cramps t shirt, all the while an attractive (though probably very wasted) tattooed girl felt the need to grind on me, this was fun until the moshing started and I accidentally punched her in the face
ffffuuuu.gif

**to keep this thrifting relatedish I went dumpster diving afterward and found some vinyl

People mosh at Reel Big Fish shows???

Nothing too crazy. My first Taste of Chaos show in the early 2000s. We were there to see Killswitch Engage. My Chemical Romance opened for them. Gerald Way was wearing a bullet proof vest for almost every show back then. He was taunting the crowd to come up the stage so they can get a night in jail. A kid ran up the stage punched Way in the head. Way hit the kid in the head with the mic. Some big ass bouncer guy ran up the stage Dragged the kid back stage with others...We seriously thought the kid was going to get killed...

Back in the days, we went to see Thrice. They opened up for Dashboard Confessional. We reluctantly stayed and witnessed some bros talking **** to the lead singer by calling him "*****", "******", and blah blah. The lead singer stopped the show and invited those bros on stage to talk **** into the mic. The bros didn't. So the singer goes, "Well, this ***** is going to play some music." ******* awesome! Respect!
Been a looong time since I saw that, I barely remember it, only a few scenes stuck.
- Guy shafting an apple pie and his dad walked in.
- Guy drinks a beer that had blobs of **** in it.
- Dude has to eat dog turd.
- Chef at restaurant shoves french toast down his pants and then serves it to "screech" type guy.
- The guys go to grandpapa's house, he smokes weed and his dog talks to him.
Helluva film, must put on my watch list again
smile.gif

It probably says something about my mind that I remember the dodgy bits LOL. Mind you, the flute has got me fascinated now.

Don't forget Tara Reed's "I"m coming! I'm coming!" Scene! FTW!

I thrifted my very first good Lanvin tie today. N/A Lanvin cherry popped!

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Fuckin Sean John and Alan Flusser with their RLPL styled labels. Just keep telling yourself it makes for good practice when you see one and it triggers the pause/rewind signal as you sort through shirts.

Last edited:

mrdeep2001

Reaction score
Thanks, that one took about 5 hours total, not nearly as long as this one which took us about 20 hours.
Everything edible except the beer labels and caps.

is the wife a cake baker/decorator or is this just for fun? the cakes look awesome! i want a yuengling now....

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
is the wife a cake baker/decorator or is this just for fun? the cakes look awesome! i want a yuengling now....
She took a bunch of classes a few years back, and we do it for fun / money. Problem is...around here if it costs more than $20 people will just go get some bullshit disgusting cake from WalMart. My mom has always made cakes on the side too, she makes 2-3 wedding cakes a week throught the summer. I really want to get them to open a business together. Issue here is...they taste better than they look, and I would quickly move up to a 50R, lol.

mrdeep2001

Reaction score
She took a bunch of classes a few years back, and we do it for fun / money. Problem is...around here if it costs more than $20 people will just go get some bullshit disgusting cake from WalMart. My mom has always made cakes on the side too, she makes 2-3 wedding cakes a week throught the summer. I really want to get them to open a business together. Issue here is...they taste better than they look, and I would quickly move up to a 50R, lol.
yeah i hear wedding cakes are money. I'll find out soon enough though, the woman only likes being the girlfriend for so long...

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i hear wedding cakes are money. I'll find out soon enough though, the woman only likes being the girlfriend for so long...

DON'T GET MARRIED.

I'm kidding, of course.

The ol' in-laws are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary tomorrow. I'll be juicing limes all morning to make about 2 litres of gin gimlets (I figure that's the best, most refreshing drink for a noon-time party before a long day of football watching.)

... and it's my last chance to wear seersucker pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics