• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today I picked up from the cleaners some of the RG shirts I scored last week. Guess what! Some of the little stains I missed didn't come out!:fu:
baldy%5B1%5D.gif
Keep in mind the special cleaning required due to the embroidery on the shirts lead to a per shirt cleaning price equal to what I paid for the shirts in the first place!:fu:

What would you guys do in this case -
A) Punt and return shirts to the shop in the interest of getting at least some of my monies back.
B) Keep shirts and attempt to sell them with the faint stains, of course mentioning them up front in the auctions.
C) Cut them up and have them sewn into unitards, sign up for exercise classes with Richard Simmons.
D) Wrap them around handle of samurai sword and commit seppuku at GW in the hopes of getting an RG shirt named after me.

As appealing as option C is, I'd go with B. Even with minor imperfections, crazy embroidered RG shirts still bring in good monies.

+1 on the Oxiclean and hand-wash. Dry cleaning just doesn't have the effect of a good Oxiclean soak. One wash won't hurt.

Last edited:

mjt73106

Reaction score
picked up this shirt a few days ago and was wondering if anybody could tell me who the maker is. Tried to search the label but couldn't find anything. It's made in italy and fits me fairly well, wore it to work today. Thanks for helping out a newb.

Try
HOF: Labels, Heels And Nail Patterns - Secrets To ID The Maker

Wow! Savers?
Easily B. Or oxyclean and then B. I oxycleaned an RG shirt and the embroidery wasn't affected. A lightly stained RG shirt will still have no problem fetching well above thrift store prices.
+1
As appealing as option C is, I'd go with B. Even with minor imperfections, crazy embroidered RG shirts still bring in good monies.
+1 on the Oxiclean and hand-wash. Dry cleaning just doesn't have the effect of a good Oxiclean soak. One wash won't hurt.
+1

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I picked up from the cleaners some of the RG shirts I scored last week. Guess what! Some of the little stains I missed didn't come out!
ffffuuuu.gif
baldy[1].gif
Keep in mind the special cleaning required due to the embroidery on the shirts lead to a per shirt cleaning price equal to what I paid for the shirts in the first place!
ffffuuuu.gif

What would you guys do in this case -
A) Punt and return shirts to the shop in the interest of getting at least some of my monies back.
B) Keep shirts and attempt to sell them with the faint stains, of course mentioning them up front in the auctions.
C) Cut them up and have them sewn into unitards, sign up for exercise classes with Richard Simmons.
D) Wrap them around handle of samurai sword and commit seppuku at GW in the hopes of getting an RG shirt named after me.
B for sure I sell stuff with stains on it all the time, it is fine as long as you mention the stains, although one time I forgot and was email abused my a middle aged woman who was very annoyed with the ***** stains on her burberry sweater,
lol8[1].gif
I probably should have checked more thoroughly for stains before buying and selling it
baldy[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha. You started it... but while I think you're right, the same could be said of any special interest, which employs lobbyists, which is every single one. PS PM me that book again, ive been on an amzon tear and thats 1 on my list brah.

Thrift lobbying!

I will check out the basic fit threads, but that seam runs right at the edge of my shoulder. Thanks the input fellas ! I don't wear jackets often obviously. Too big for me eh?

I think there's too much shoulder padding.

LOL i never heard of yellow bones.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yellow bone

This was the first time I've heard of it. I think it might be an old southerner term?

Last edited:

franz_sanchez

Reaction score
Our local goodwill had a few good things. I got an Ascot Chang shirt. Not sure if they are worth anything. I was looking at fleebay and it doesn't seem like their is much value in trying to resell them. It only cost me $2 because they were having a 50% off sale they do every other wednesday.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
what up, fellers.

ugly E Zegna Tie

J Crew Blazer Patch Pockets

Willis & Gieger (first in the wild) Oxford

Hickey Freeman suit from late 80's (not a single blemish or signs of wear anywhere)

SPOO! Can you post a fit pic of how to rock a grey chalkstripe suit? This thing is a keeper for me.

BB Makers Glenplaid Tie

4 Cotton Pocket Squares

3 Zanella's 2xPlatinum Pleats 1x Loro Piana Tasmanian

Bolle Irex 100 - sick!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

mainy -
laugh.gif

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's been really slow for me lately. I have an upcoming wedding which is burning up the next 5 weekends. Plus I have had a sinus problem which has put a damper on thrifting.
Did pick up a few things last night.

A Samick Acoustic Guitar with case for $15 --- just needs a new tuning key, one peg and new strings, all of which I already have in stock. It's low-end, but decent...and couldn't beat the price.

4 Pairs of NOS Bostonian Iron Age Steel Toe Shoes All size 8 D
They had about 4 more pairs, but these were the best looking ones.

$T2eC16dHJGQE9noMbUMzBQPtV7KTHw~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16NHJIQE9qUHsEwFBQPtuilGIg~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqFHJC0E+bLMWWQvBQPtmML(d!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16ZHJHwE9n8ii1bbBQPt4D(nDg~~60_57.JPG

And I think I missed posting this find from last weekend. Sweet Vintage Blackwatch 3 Roll 2 40L (unavailable here since I already listed it on the bay and it has bids.....sorry guys, totally thought I had posted it here first
baldy[1].gif
)

$(KGrHqV,!ncF!LJQIKviBQOuG628W!~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

Jpmorris

Reaction score
Who makes the shoes for. isaia ? Also, it is a southern term, they're are 3 categories to my knowledge, red bones yellow bones and plain ol dark skinned (pronounced skin ed. ) southern colloquial speech lesson over.

workthatwedo

Reaction score

BB Makers Glenplaid Tie
And I think I missed posting this find from last weekend. Sweet Vintage Blackwatch 3 Roll 2 40L (unavailable here since I already listed it on the bay and it has bids.....sorry guys, totally thought I had posted it here first
baldy[1].gif
)

$(KGrHqV,!ncF!LJQIKviBQOuG628W!~~60_57.JPG

I'd be very angry if I didn't already have a vintage Anderson-Little one. Wait, mine isn't 3-roll-2. I am angry after all.

Last edited:

Steve Kane

Reaction score
^^ Just a regular SL 1200. Would have loved if it were a Mk2!
Yeah, the 1200 was a great find but it's been long since sold. These days I'm running a thrift find Dual 701 (still has original box/packaging) for the mancave system and a NAD (rebadged Rega R2) for the living room system. The SL 1200 was found back in the mid 90's when everyone was chucking their vinyl and turntables. I got the bulk of my collection (stone mint early pressing Beatles & Stones LPs, tons of great psychedelic and progressive rock, 50's rock and roll on LP and 78s, etc) during this time. Nobody else was out there looking for it and people had a hard time giving it away. These days any well-known classic rock LP in nice shape won't last 20 minutes on the thrift store shelves.
:Raises Hand:
I'm always looking for any obscure 60's-70's rock/psychedelic/progressive stuff.

I hit the jackpot a few months ago in this department. Tons of garage/psych/punk/prog. I walked away with 60 or so LP's at $.99 each. Included were records by Spacemen 3, GONG, New York Dolls, Opal, The Growing Concern (which I flipped for $160 and bought a $20 repress of with the proceeds), Mothers of Invention, The Cure, Shadows of Knight, Fever Tree, The Second Coming, the first Nicky Hopkins LP, Dead Moon, The Bonzo Dog Band, Incredible String Band, Ultimate Spinach, Psychadelic Lollipop, Captain Beyond, Captain Beefheart, The Hello People, ,Camel, Badfinger, Spirit, The Seeds, etc etc.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to use the spoiler!

Last edited:

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
Another pretty good day so far.

5NWT BB Makers Ties @ $2.50 a piece
Awesome Giorgio Armani Le Collezione Jacket
G&H Saville Row Suit (Brown w/ blue windowpane) (Hickey Freeman Sorts)

Hitting two moar stores ... pics to follow tonight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads