• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhead

Reaction score

Found myself a navy blazer today (fits better than my old one). Only trouble is that it has Royal Navy buttons, and I don't qualify.
So, two questions: first, anyone want a set of royal navy marines brass buttons? 2 large, 8 small. Second, anyone know a good place to find some interesting new ones for a reasonable price?
Edit: Royal Marines, not Royal Navy.

There's 71 pages of blazer buttons on eBay, you should find something there

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Polo will often use the same exact fabrics for unintentional "suit separates' within the same season.
I've never seen it with Corneliani, but have seen it quite a bit on their cheaper imported pants and jackets.
I have a baby blue oxford cloth suit I got this way.

^^^ +1. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a Polo by Ralph Lauren Blue Label seersucker suit being advertised on eBay for something like $10. I asked the seller (1) to confirm that it was, in fact, Blue Label because sometimes sellers will say something is "POLO RALPH LAUREN" when it's really "LAUREN RALPH LAUREN" or "POLO UNIVERSITY CLUB" and (2) where it was made. It turned out the jacket was made in HK or Macau and the pants were made in Sri Lanka. Exact same material, but apparently sold as separates.

There's 71 pages of blazer buttons on eBay, you should find something there

^^^ HEADS UP: TOMORROW I WILL BE GOING TO THE BUTTON SHOP WHERE I BUY GENUINE MOTHER OF PEARL JACKET BUTTONS (front closure and sleeve sizes). THEY CARRY BOTH WHITE AND SMOKE GRAY COLORS. I CAN PICK UP A FEW SETS FOR THE REGULARS ON HERE AT COST PLUS ACTUAL SHIPPING. If you would like me to pick up a set for you, just PM me the number of front closure and sleeve buttons that you would like.
smile.gif

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

someone help please!?

Two part help:

1. Yes... lesser, more common label
2. Keep reading, the thread will help you do better next time.

+1

Also: To tell you anything about those shoes we'd need to see the soles. I don't think they're worth resoling before selling, but if the soles are still good you should be able to sell them after a good condition and polish.

Do you seriously wear a size 18, or was that a typo?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some recent finds:
Recent E. Zegna "Shetlair" SC. EU56L

2 x Neil Barrett, 1 x G. Armani Black Label.

A bomb jacket by Silvio's of Beverly Hills. The fabric is FAWESOME. Handled Brioni's Super 150's, Zegna 15milmil 15, easily beats it. On par with 180's I'm saying. 38

Star Artoili shoes.

Etro jacket. Bomb lining, wish it was my size. EU54

Gilded Age x Uniqlo jacket

2 x Paul Smith cardigan M

Hartmann luggage

Does anyone who the maker is?

Awesome finds, as always! Really dig the Zegna and Etro!

Just= joined the forum after reading through 100 pages or so of this thread. Hey guys! :thumbs-up:  Pretty new to thrifting nicer clothes. Here's my haul from tonight.

Made in Detroit camo Carhartt jacket.

Good find on the vintage duck hunter camo shirt! PM sent! I've been looking for a chamois cloth camo shirt in this pattern for awhile now. The rest of that stuff is very common as you'll soon learn and will likely end up being donated back soon. As others said, just keep reading the forum and you'll learn everything there is to know,

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good find on the vintage duck hunter camo shirt! PM sent! I've been looking for a chamois cloth camo shirt in this pattern for awhile now.
Nat, I think I have a chamois camo shirt at home too if his doesn't work out. Off the top of my head, I wanna say its a woolrich, but I am not 100% sure.

Last edited:

stevenkmason

Reaction score
+1
Also: To tell you anything about those shoes we'd need to see the soles. I don't think they're worth resoling before selling, but if the soles are still good you should be able to sell them after a good condition and polish.
Do you seriously wear a size 18, or was that a typo?
I appreciate the advice. I'll post a picture of the soles later today. And yeah I wear size 18. I'm 6'8" and weigh 235, long and slim. Which sucks for buying anything. My thrifting (and shopping in general) selection is very limited :(

stevenkmason

Reaction score
Good find on the vintage duck hunter camo shirt! PM sent! I've been looking for a chamois cloth camo shirt in this pattern for awhile now. The rest of that stuff is very common as you'll soon learn and will likely end up being donated back soon. As others said, just keep reading the forum and you'll learn everything there is to know,
PMed back!

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice. I'll post a picture of the soles later today. And yeah I wear size 18. I'm 6'8" and weigh 235, long and slim. Which sucks for buying anything. My thrifting (and shopping in general) selection is very limited :(
Sucks,...I saw some 18 sneakers in the thrift about 2 months ago. They were NIB adidas, should have snagged them.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sucks,...I saw some 18 sneakers in the thrift about 2 months ago. They were NIB adidas, should have snagged them.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen 18 anything. I know I've seen 16s, but to be honest I don't usually even pick up anything that big to see what size it is. Maybe I should start checking.

aglass

Reaction score
someone help please!?

Your best friend for learning what to pick up / what not to is the eBay completed listings (assuming you are looking to make a bit of dough). A quick perusal through the completed listings for "Allen Edmonds Glasgow" gives me only one selling at $51, and that was in near-new condition. Others at much lower prices. Other than eBay, just continue to read the thread - a lot of the guys in here know their ****.

I guess it depends on how much you paid for them... if you got them on the super cheap and are willing to make $5-$10, it might not be a bad pickup, but I honestly don't think that's worth the hassle. Stick around and learn more, this place is great!

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked these up today, look to have been worn once. Churchs Prima Grade, anybody know what the difference is between these and the custom grade? Size 10M.

Also, Marvin and Tammy, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles, Modern Sounds in Country Music, which if you haven't heard it yet, I strongly recommend it. :devil:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A local SA birthed a litter of shetland sweater puppies:

A mix of Pringle, Alan Paine, Byford and one vintage BB. All made in Scotland/England.

Keeping all except the green Pringle (about a 40/42) and the BB cable knit (about a 44/46).

Plus two BB Made in Italy linen/cotton/silk/wool blend coats (both Available):

Navy (42)

Glen Plaid (43)

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a way for me to post pics in the thread while I'm away from the computer? I use an iPod touch, which is what the pics are coming from, and photobucket. I'm seriously thinking of dropping photobucket, but not this afternoon. I don't seem to be able to upload directly to SF galleries or to copy photobucket links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads