1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rathebaindc

rathebaindc Senior member

bah, double post

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. hucklecat

hucklecat Senior member

whats wrong with wranglers? Issues with Lee's too? All depends on who is sporting them too. Pair some wranglers with a nice Gant Rugger and its a winning combo. Hook up with some Luccese boots and its a winning combo to some

Ever see boots?

[​IMG]

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I learned my lesson last year. I am not into football so it's hard for me to keep track of these things. Only way I know they are going on is the mass quantity of Facebook posts.

I had all my men's items end Monday night (7-8 pm) this week and will do the same next week.

4. hucklecat

hucklecat Senior member

Why not spread them out with a few ending each day? Is any day actually better than others? Yeah, Sunday sux sometimes due to ball games but so do saturdays. and mondays, etc. IMHO no day is better or worse than others due to the vast mix of preferences.

5. rathebaindc

rathebaindc Senior member

It's the jorts, not the fact that they're wranglers.

Take it from Blake Griffin:

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I guess I've had everything end on one day (Sunday) for so many years that's just what I'm used to. Easier for me, I guess.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

8. 2010Greek

2010Greek Well-Known Member

9. hucklecat

hucklecat Senior member

Could be! I really pay attention to none of that and try to just spread it out. wednesday usually sux as does friday and saturday for me.

If there was a true good day we would all be rich I think.

Maybe it depends on what one is selling, but one day seems to be the same as others. I guess I should examine certain stats on traffic and such.

10. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

On the plus side... good day to hunt.

1 person likes this.
  11. 2010Greek

2010Greek Well-Known Member

Yes it is

12. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

but a better day to watch football [​IMG] go niners! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Ummm.....no. Nevermore.

15. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

also another ebay brag

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121056074731
    I messaged the seller and worked out a deal for 90 shipped with shoe trees included (I mean not really thrift prices but pretty good for basically new $400+ shoes) [​IMG]

danite soles and everything, they are slightly more dressy than the allen edmonds katmai but still rugged enough for doing sleezy things in them at 3 in the morning in the city (regency ballroom that means you)

[​IMG]

16. Timmah

Timmah Senior member

Picked up a couple things on my lunch break today.

Orvis Goosedown Vest in great condition.

[​IMG]

Hardy Amies London Mohair Blend Sweater.
    No Idea if this is worth anything, but hey it looks pretty cool.

[​IMG]

And the winner of the bunch:

SPQR made in Italy Valet
    This had last weeks tags on it so its been sitting there untouched for a good week.

[​IMG]

17. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Well I am using turbo lister (and there in lies the problem) and it messed up last Thursday so I had to move it to this Thursday. I dont know if I want to wait another week just to post something that should of been listed 2 weeks ago. I think last year during the Superbowl I estimated that the auction would end around 8k and it ended at close to 6k. Pretty big hit if I remember correctly. Decisions, Decisions....

18. concealed

concealed Senior member

So today was a pretty long day. Going to post this haul and enjoy my beer while I read through 200 new posts.

[​IMG]

Great IPA

Anyways, I took the day off and hit every thrift in the state of Rhode Island (pretty much), results were as follows

[​IMG]

Ben Silve Teal plain tie, Breuer Tie, Holland and Sherry Hot pink tie, Tod's loafers

[​IMG]

few Oxxford suits

[​IMG]
    11 J.Press shirts, mostly OCBDs, couple point collars though (all 16.5 x 35), J.Press belt

[​IMG]

few more shirts, from left: Paul Stuart, J.Crew XL Workwear Chambray, Yellow and white stripe zegna with recent square logo, Thomas Pink 15.5, Zegna pink and white, Vineyard Vines, RRL, Fray (first time finding!), Dries Van Noten Olive green shirt

[​IMG]

Smartwool two tone crewneck, Patagonia R1, Vineyard Vines crewneck sweater, Murrays Toggery (34 made in USA), Luciano Barbera, Rugby Cords with hunting motif

few other random ties and desiderata that wouldn't be particularly interesting to the thread.

1 person likes this.
  19. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

Not been having a great week. A trade I was to receive appears to be lost in the mail (in the future please everyone use delivery confirmation when shipping to me), and then today I inadvertently donated my pair of winter gloves:
    Was thrifting at one of my least favorite GW, but it's the same place I've found my only Hermes and Ferragamo ties. The ties and suits / SC are very difficult to reach with a cart, as it seems they arranged the racks almost radially away from them (wtf). So I leave my cart with some shoes and a tie and my winter gloves (that don't fit into my coat pockets) at the end of one of the shorter racks as I sift through the rest of the ties. When I'm done looking through the ties I return to my cart, only to find it disappeared and the shoes back on the racks where I found them. I immediately looked around and asked the cashier about my cart, but she didn't know. So I went to the section with gloves and scarves and winter shit all piled together in heaps, only to find a woman who looked to be in her 50's with an overstuffed cart finishing her evaluation of that section. I say aloud to myself "I don't see my gloves here, where did they put them," in case she wants to chime in, since she heard me asking about my gloves.

I then go to the guy manically dusting everything unnecessarily to ask him if he saw my stuff, and he tells me he's the one who cleared the cart and returned everything to the racks. He thought the cart was abandoned, even though it was by itself for no more than 1min. Guy is obviously manic, though, and can't stay still. So we go back to the winter pile of shite that he informs me he placed my gloves on top of, tearing it apart very impatiently, only to tell me that somebody grabbed them, which I already knew. Of course none of that stuff is tagged, so mine looked like they could've belonged.

So I went back to the only cashier working and tell her to look out to see if someone tries to buy my grey gloves. The woman who looked at me funny at the pile was just finishing checking out. The cashier says, "I don't know, maybe someone has already bought them." The lady checking out gives me the stare, and we stare each other down. Gloves at this GW were $1.00, but winter wear was 50% off, and I'm guessing she received a senior discount on top if it. So she probably got my nice winter gloves (which are what I needed in the 15deg F weather today) for 40 cents. Motherfucker. But also my fault.

I did find some things today, if only for the lady -- 100% Cashmere turtleneck, lambswool+rabbit fur turtleneck, silk Ann Taylor shirt. I passed on a 100% Camelhair blazer, grey / salt-n-pepper, 40R with 19.75 shoulders -- Roundtree & Yorke for Dillards. Can go back for it if someone is interested.

Got some other things today too, but too bothered to be bothered to take photos right now. Field & Stream flannel, Faconnable linen shirt in lavender size S, Pearl Izumi lightweight jacket for me, other stuff can't remember.

20. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Well, if you listed it today (which I just did with a bunch of stuff), it will end Saturday. Which might get you a little bit better without having to wait.

In other news, the J Press guncheck tweed sold in less than 6 hours for the BIN price. :slayer: No payment yet. :fu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.