The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Happens more times than I'd think possible. Add n to x.

Weird thing was - I got the 7 jeans off the men's rack for regular ol' Goodwill denim price of $6, and the women's rack next to it also had a pair of 7 jeans with their new "special price" tag of $20. Naturally I left the $20 pair and got the $6 pair.

2. sliq

sliq Senior member

[​IMG]

found me some new (old) spring/summer shoes - Mariano Campanile's (not available).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. codhead

codhead Senior member

Not too bad a few days for me.

Started on Sunday with a trip to the old car boot sale and just before leaving, I noticed that a group of guys had hung up some interesting SCs and other clothes. Turns out it was the wardrobe of one's recently deceased grandfather. So I managed to lift 2 x Harris tweed + 1 x Austin Reed, gun club check SCs, a flawless Aquascutum showerproof, summer-weight worsted Chesterfield and a stunning tropical weight, Cairn check John G Hardy 3 piece suit that just happens to fit me like a glove. All for the princely sum of £24.00 total. One disappointment was finding a charcoal Gieves & Hawkes suit jacket, the idiot had left the pants at home. It was from Gieves bespoke, 1965 and in stunning condition.

The John G Hardy:

[​IMG]

Then on Monday, I popped into the local charity shop and spotted a few interesting ties. I usually ignore character or whimsical ties but for whatever reason, one caught my eye and I had to take a closer look. It turned out to be this:

[​IMG]

As I said, not too striking or even attractive but turn it over and this is what you see:

[​IMG]

At £2.99 I wasn't complaining, especially as it's the first Hermes I've ever found

Then yesterday Emma found me a Ralph Lauren PL Glen Plaid shirt in absolutely pristine condition. The collar, placket and cuffs still have that nearly-new stiffness to them. That cost a whopping £7.50

Now wondering what today may bring

4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

That is a beautiful pattern. I say shorten it, do whatever you need to do to make it fit like a glove. I think it's worth it.

That Hermes = [​IMG]

Wow! That's a first!

Awwww, you guys know each other sizes, that's cute! Wait a minute! So do I!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!

Wow...Seriously, adults overreacting in public is so [​IMG]

Isn't that the best feeling in the world? This is another reason why I love thrifting so much! I tell people I'm a treasure hunter. lol

5. TheStormnMormon

TheStormnMormon Well-Known Member

^ Love the tie. Wish it was mine [​IMG].

^ Thank you! I looked her over again - all I need to do is shorten the sleeves ($12.50) and get the jacket shortened ($24). Decided to look about and found that comparable AC SCs usually run $1400-$1800. After picking her up for $9.50, I think I'll go ahead and do the deed [​IMG].

Curious, though, haven't had the chance to see my guy - expert opinion, anyone? Is it at all feasible/doable to have a double vent added to an SC that has no existing vents?

6. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ What other thread? Is there a new contra-contra-thrift-thread somewhere else? [​IMG]

7. codhead

codhead Senior member

I forgot to mention, also on Sunday from the same guys I got the suit and SCs from, Emma picked up a pair of hardly worn brown Grensons for £2 and was gutted when the guy told her he'd ealier sold a pair of Grenson white brogues for £1

8. codhead

codhead Senior member

Would anyone care to check the authenticity of this Hermes tie please? It's being sold by the Oxfam online charity shop and quite apart from it being one of the most hideous ties I've ever seen, everything about it says fake to me (oooooooh look at me sounding like an expert now)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

If I were looking through those pants you would have heard me scream like a little girl from a block away! Got the creepy crawlies now. :paranoia:

10. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I just saw a Versace Shirts Couture tag the other day. I assumed it was fake as well :)

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

My first and only Hermes tie find wasn't even realized until several hours after I got it home. I bought it because I liked the pattern and had nevre even flipped it over to see the label. I was dancing around the house after I inspected it more closely that night.

12. Jermyn

Jermyn Senior member

Haha, it's like the old saying about London buses.

After never finding any whilst thrifting, I managed to pick up 3 Hermes ties for £15 a few weeks ago.
    The person selling the consignment had several more but to be honest they were absurdly ugly.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

So what's the saying?

14. MattR

MattR Senior member

Big thanks to Wes

Dude is seriously awesome. Got my JPress suit and I love it. I'll do a thrift fit pic at some point. But wanted to publicly say thanks to Wes.

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Anytime, man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.