1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

From my experience the Talbott Studio ties tend to be more adventurously designed. Some of them, IMO, are downright ugly. Others are more tolerable, although I will say most of the Talbott lines have an issue with "aggressive" designs. The quality of the silk and construction of the tie are always high with Talbott.

As for the lining on the Hickey, note what I said in my post above about the vintage Robert Talbott regimentals. They, too, did not have lining in the point of the tie. Modern Talbotts do in my experience. I've not seen enough HF ties to say with certainty, but it's likely the HF you have is older (not necessarily a bad thing). I wouldn't consider it a problem.

Congratulations on the ties.

2. 4Mica

4Mica Senior member

Flusser mentions this store in Style and the Man which I do not have with me right now.

3. kabert

kabert Senior member

I believe Button Down has at least some of its store label shirts made by Borrelli. Andrew Harris was selling some a month or two ago. They had the tell-tale Borrelli touches, such as clearly hand-attached (sewn) collar.

4. j

j Senior member Admin

This topic is on page 3?. Slackers.

Picked up a black Southwick 6-on-1 DB camel or cashmere jacket with non-metal buttons, in 44r the other day. $12 IIRC.

5. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior member

Got three pairs of Brooks Bros flat-front wool trousers in my exact size for $3 each today; not much else of note, though...

6. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Yesterday I picked up a pretty much 'as new' Brooks Brothers ecru oxford button down in my size. A nice pick up as I've wanted to add a few more of these to the closet. Oh, it was 50% off day: $2.

7. Mike

Mike Senior member

Best find to date- charcoal Corneliani suit. Super 120s. Jacket was a perfect fit, pants needed to be taken in at the waist. Suit- $12, Alteration- $13.
    Found it at a thrift store I had pretty much given up on and almost refused to shop in anymore {They gave my mom a hassle when she wanted to donate a lot of stuff from my grandfather's basement when he died. They pretty much threw the boxes back in my mom's Jeep and told her they wouldn't be able to sell the stuff.}

8. Demeter

Demeter Senior member

The best I ever found was a couple of E.R. Fisher suits (probably by Samuelsohn) for 14.99CDN. They're kind of like Canada's version of the Andover shop, I suppose. A nice light blue Yves St-Laurent for 11.99CDN. Unfortunately they were all too small for me.

Last time around I got a few nice ties. Barbera, Canali, and the aforementioned E.R. Fisher for four bucks apiece.

I'm actually having a bit of a hard time with thrift stores here. I should try and look in different neighborhoods, maybe.

9. 4Mica

4Mica Senior member

I picked up a pair of near new Allen Edmond Park Avenues (Black) for my brother-in-law (they were his size) for $30 at the chain thrift store down the street from work. They polished up nice.

10. tsloop

tsloop Senior member

There never seems to be anything at the thrift stores around here. Yesterday there was a Brioni suit, but it was a size 44 and it looked kinda ugly and 80s to me. That is the only time I have ever found anything more than some random polos. Our marshall's isn't much better, the highest price items I ever see are racks and racks of Abercrombie jeans, which is pretty sad.

11. j

j Senior member Admin

I found some really nice stuff yesterday, but it was all fatally flawed. Gieves & Hawkes suit and jacket, a Chester Barrie blazer, and a nice Zegna jacket. Unfortunately they all had too many problems to bother with. Very disappointing.

12. misterbowles

Canali Italian-made flat-front wide-wale cords, a perfect fit, $3. Selling on Bluefly for $117 ($295 orginal). Pretty good...

13. misterbowles

Found a very gently worn Oxxford Baby Alpaca sport coat at an out of the way church store today; it was a 40R (much too small for me), so I didn't buy it. Out of curiosity, when I got home, I googled "Oxxford Alpaca," and apparently this is a $4000 coat. I most certainly am going back to pick it up.

14. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Most of them are Borrelli, though there are a few out there without the handstitched buttonholes, not sure who makes those. Great store by the way, I've bought myself some wonderful things at their 70 off clearance sales, and have even been very tempted by a few items at full price. I'm still contemplating a Longhi belt there, worth the $150 IMO.

15. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

I believe Button Down has at least some of its store label shirts made by Borrelli. Â Andrew Harris was selling some a month or two ago. Â They had the tell-tale Borrelli touches, such as clearly hand-attached (sewn) collar.
    Most of them are Borrelli, though there are a few out there without the handstitched buttonholes, not sure who makes those. Great store by the way, I've bought myself some wonderful things at their 70 off clearance sales, and have even been very tempted by a few items at full price. I'm still contemplating a Longhi belt there, worth the $150 IMO.
    thanks for the info andrew. [​IMG]

16. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Nothing terribly special, but picked up a NIP Hathaway blue oxford button down for $5. It will be a good utility shirt. Also grabbed an 'as new' linen Barry Bricken long sleeve casual shirt for $3.25. The shell buttons on this thing are amazing.

(This was all the way on page 4--slackers, indeed.)

17. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

my first time buying shoes at the thrift store. i am a little wary, but i threw caution to the wind.

1 pr allen-edmonds Byron in chocolate suede, exc. condition, $19

1 pr allan-edmonds Austin in black, exc. condition, $19

and a pair of Bally's 'Marco'. they are as soft as butter, feel like i'm wearing nothing when i put them on. they look very broken-in, but the leather is not scuffed or cracked, just wrinkled. they look like good shoes for loitering in. $9

i think i'll take them to the cobbler for proper cleaning and sole assessments, and the AE's need a bit of stretching.

also got a few silk pocket squares (and some 'fancy' scarves for my almost-3-year-old girl to play with), and a double-sided silk/lambswool winter scarf.

/andrew - having a good friday

18. Stu

Stu Senior member

About a year ago, i found a brand, spanking new, not a scuff on them pair of E. Green spectator shoes in a thrift store in Palm Beach for $350. Also, a Kiton 100 percent cashmere sport coat for $600. Unfortunately, the Greens were one size too small, and the Kiton was one size too big. Still, pretty impressive finds, no?

19. Stu

Stu Senior member

You gonna wear that Hathaway with an eye patch?

Bonus points to anyone who gets the reference.

20. sashae

sashae Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.