1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hucklecat

hucklecat Senior member

Diesel is good IMHO, although probably not at $30.00 cost. Find jeans, shirts and jackets, know how to authenticate them and get for $5-6 and you got good flippable stuff.

2. Timmah

Timmah Senior member

I don't know if I can call this a brag...

But I picked up these split toe Hickey Freeman shoes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this a popular size?

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

Mainy & DM7... wow. Love to hear that story. That stuff is gorgeous.

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

The level of tumescence before clicking the first spoiler was significantly greater than after.

Anyway, about the FJs, I thought they started as a shoe maker and of fairly decent repute. No?

EDIT: THRIFT THREAD SIXTY THOUSAND WILL DEFINITELY HAPPEN TOMORROW! DOOMSDAY PREDICTIONS HAVE NEVER BEEN WRONG! ASSURE THAT YOUR SOUL AND POPCORN ARE PREPARED! (Since I won't have time to hit teh shops, I won't be participating)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  5. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

GODDAMN!

I say GODDAMN! partially because that's incredible, but also partly because it almost totally blows my only thrift find of today out of the water.

Schott Perfecto leather... the Ramones jacket.

Thinks it might be a little small for me?

[​IMG]

Or you could sell it to me...

6. mainy

mainy Senior member

@deadboy i found a schott perfecto like 2 months ago, older, not in perfect condition, sold it for $360 to japan. paid like 20 bucks

7. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Shit... I hadn't even looked at eBay completed listings yet. It is a bit too small for me, isn't it? Yeah, I'm starting to think it might definitely be too small. Yeah, totally probably. Sure.

9. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

well shit you guys are killing it like crazy
    my moderatly shitty finds
    bb golden fleece loro piana orphan in navy 39R I am still hoping the pants will turn up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more of a gamble but I mean I figured if it had a royal warrant it can't be that bad.... right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not pictured are some ugly ass bugatchi and etro shirts headed to the bag plus I left behind a couple of ascot changs shirts and no name hong kong bespoke suits in tiny man size

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Oh shoot, is that from the Row with the address of 39 Savile Row or from Mayfair? Sorry, I can't tell from your pics. I'm in my deeer deeeer deeeeer mood. [​IMG]

11. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

12. eazye

eazye Senior member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  13. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

@eazye it's a 42, and I'm normally a 40.

14. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I can't tell for sure looking at the pic because I am distracted by the toilet with the lid up, but remember, motorcycle jackets should ride way high either right at your waist or a little above and have long arms/narrow wrists. Crank the belt tighter a notch or two, you're wearing it too loose. Idea is, you can sit on the seat without the leather binding/folding and be able to hold the handlebar grips and zip em right when its cold with your gloves on and don't freeze youself.

THat actually looks pretty OK, fitwise. One question -- do you have long arms? The arms look right on that jacket and they should be buckling a bit with what seems like extra length. I am guessing you find a lot of jackets in a 40 that have arms too short because either they came that way or they have been altered to fit dudes with shorter arms?

That's the problem with real moto jackets vs what bikers call "fashion leather": The leather is twice to three times as thick, so it's stiffer even when broken in so it doesn't sit right for a WAYWRN fit pic, ever, and the arms should always look 2-3" too long when at your sides if it's right in the shoulders. If you pantomime holding handlebars with your arms outstretched in front of you, sleeves should be just about exactly right.

you might need a tall size?

I have a pretty nice one like this for my summer rides on my cruiser, but it's a knockoff made, I believe, from the hides of political prisoners from some third world country.

Also check this pic and its eBay listing, this is an interesting twist on the Schott Fit Question

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

QUIZ OF THE DAY

Anyone see something contradictory in these photos?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Normally I would state, from the date, that this sport coat is from 1980.....simple right?
    However the union tag indicates the latest date of 1976.
    I suppose the coat could have been on the rack for 4 years before it was altered to Mr Sechrist's measurements and stamped with the date.

Now for the full shot of this masterpiece...

[​IMG]

16. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

Too funny! I didn't even notice he was in a bathroom taking the photo... Good eyes!

17. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Thats not golden fleece, just normal BB

1 person likes this.
  18. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Wow, been a while since I've been up here. I see people are still killing it! Happy New Years guys, sorry I've been gone a while. First semester of law school didn't want to be distracted, plus, living out here in Michigan, the pickings seem slim (but I haven't had a chance to look around yet. Might spend some time these last few days of break browsing). Got some requests I wanted to see if anyone could fulfill before turning to the bay though.

1. Anyone got a Ski type jacket or maybe a down jacket available? I've got some decent jackets and the cold hasn't killed me yet out here, but I'm hoping to hit some slopes with classmates and don't think anything I have will suffice, plus I need to upgrade.

2. Also, any gloves? It's January in Michigan and I still don't own any gloves. I kept saying I'd come up here before the semester started but nothing.

3. Finally, some boots in 9-9.5 (10 may work) that I can wear in the snow. Doubt it's happening but you never know.

BTW if anyone remembers it or is interested, I still have that Corneliani Linea Sartoria jacket that someone can have at cost + shipping (I think it was $12.99)

Edit: Damnit, this would've been better in the official buy/sell/trade thread. My bad guys. All well, at least you know I'm still alive out here.

19. eazye

eazye Senior member

:drool:

20. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Sorry E, this one is too big for you....but it is my size.

Don't be sad though, I may have some candy for you this week...pending measurements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.