The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

By Crom, that's a hell of a find!

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I think his big known hit was "Love Is Like A Rock"...but "Ah Leah" is a far superior song in my opinion.

3. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

ah leah is the one i know..catchy tune

4. DanM

DanM Senior member

Thrifting was pretty light for me this weekend, as we've started moving to the new house. However, I did come across a pretty sweet Brooks Brothers corduroy jacket, made in Italy, Loro Piana, and it fits perfectly....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

I try to run my operations out of my closet, but things inevitably spread throughout my apartment.

While I'm posting these pictures, I'll brag about my personal wardrobe I've built up in the past year since I started thrifting. All the dress shirts hanging are mine to keep, along with several of the suits, sc's, and pairs of shoes. I did a little counting, and I came up with:

shirts:
    8-10 Brioni
    3 Kiton
    3 RLPL
    3 Borrelli
    3 T&A
    1 Loro Piana
    1 Oxxford
    Some other miscellaneous brands

suits & sc's (I try not to hoard these since I don't dress professional often):
    3 Isaia
    2 Brioni
    2 Luciano Barbera by Attolini
    1 Gucci
    1 Oxxford
    1 Canali
    1 Paul Stuart

shoes:
    a bunch of allen edmonds and aldens, plus a few ferragamos

ties:
    don't even know where to start

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Wow! Neatly organized! Jealous!

7. eazye

eazye Senior member

Here's my setup, this is all my stuff, I don't have any thing on the bay currently, and I just got rid of the unsold, unwanted piles last week, so I am clutter free. :slayer: Sorry for the extremely crappy pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note: this does not include the 3 steamer trunks that house my tweeds and top coats nor the storage space in the basement that has all the stuff headed to the bay once the cold weather hits. Also, yes, I know everything is jammed in there, not giving shirts and such "breathing" room, but what are you going to do?

8. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Easy, what do you use to keep the moths, carpet beetles, and other pests away in there?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

Pests, what pests? :D

10. Nell

Nell Senior member

+ 1 to the garbage bag storage technique. Unfortunately I'm confined to a 100 sq ft room and a fraternity house boiler room for the majority of my finds.

Just got back from a trip to London, and figured I would briefly detail my experiences (as some seem to be hesitant to thrift in over saturated cities like NYC and London). Had a few other events on the agenda outside of thrifting :), but managed to get to about 15 stores and Portobello market. Unsurprisingly, I had the best luck around Chelsea and Kensington. Without blowing anyone's spots (though I'm fairly certain that's impossible in London), Oxfam has upwards of 20 stores in the immediate area. Prices are NOT American thrift prices. There is also little to no uniformity in pricing, even within the same chain. The entire tie stock of one Oxfam was marked upwards of 15, while another 10 minutes away priced all ties at 4 pounds.

That said, I've never seen the sheer volume of quantity before. An entire Oxfam in Kensington was filled with Ascot Chang. Upwards of 20 shirts easily, with the rest comprised of Eton, Etro and a few CT and lesser names. Most were beaten to shit, including a pair of mismarked Rockett and Jones shoes (clearly not all employees are well versed in quality brands). I stopped by a consignment shop on the way to Portobello filled with Loro Piana, RLPL, Ferragamo, etc. They even had a giant Polo bear sweater for the Loheads. Everything was priced at or above market value (ie 40 pounds per shirt, around 100 per shoes). I had some great success at Portobello despite the crowds - tons of Barbour at reasonable prices (60 pounds for mint pieces), but too financially constrained at present. Picked up the Huntsman tie along with the Incos and Detto's at an Oxfam there.

Spark Notes: London is a great city to thrift in if you follow the basic rules - hit a lot of stores, particularly in wealthy areas as I don't believe the larger chains use a central distribution center, and presumably hit them on a regular basis. None of this is particularly revealing, so I assume I won't get railed for exposing thrift "secrets."

Zegna available, Drake's for Huntsman linen/wool/silk unavailable and TM Lewin (don't get much love here, but construction is quality and the pattern is great) unavailable
    [​IMG]

Casual Incos - 32, sky slim model available
    [​IMG]

Unworn TF glasses unavailable
    [​IMG]

Harrod's tassels in my size! Haven't cleaned them up yet. AS, yeah? Found them in a box of busted heels in the corner of a thrift. My cheapest pick up at 3 pounds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

For you cycling enthusiasts, deadstock Detto's. Not campy, but big fan of the aesthetic. Size 42 available
    [​IMG]

And finally, my favorite pick up. Found this in a store filled with quality but highly priced items. I thought, 3 roll 2, ticket pocket, double vented, side adjusters. Fulfills all the details of the current. idealized SF suit. Checked out the tag - Feb 2011. GB isn't Savile Row but plenty of handwork. About a 40L available
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Picked up some CT and TM shirts and Uniqlo jeans for myself. For slim guys, TM Lewin fully fitted is the best RTW fit I've found, particularly if you like a semi spread collar.

Also, without being that guy, I would substantially reward any of you keeping your eye out for small (14.5/15 by 32/33), beat up (fraying, missing buttons, etc) Gitman Bros OCBDs. I know most guys pass, but I'm a big fan of their fit.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

11. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Whew, lots of posts from the past few days, finally caught up.

Here's a "thrift" fit from this cold and rainy weekend

[​IMG]

Jacket - Richard James Savile Row waxed cotton (consignment - free because I won a contest)
    Shirt - Gant Rugger torn collar oxford (thrifted)
    Pants - Mexx
    Boots - Blundstone (clearance)

[​IMG]

12. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Nice finds, particularly the suit and those awesome Tom Ford glasses (I assume those were much more than thrift prices).

13. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Those deadstock Dettos might fetch quite a bit. Beautiful. Finding cleats might be a chore, though.

14. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I had that exact same jacket, but it didn't fit, unfortunately. Best-feeling cord I've ever laid hands on.

15. GHo

GHo Senior member

great ties. are they available? I like the orange w/flowers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.