The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I had posted mine a while ago.

[​IMG]

Although it's almost empty at the moment. Moving shortly. About 150lb of clothing travelling across the country, with only a little more left to pack and ship.

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

That looks pretty well organized, even if you've sold most of your stuff. Do you have a second bedroom closet to contain everything?

3. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

[​IMG]
    They were EXACTLY the same (color, fabric, size, etc.), though! Found 40 miles apart in 2 different chains. I do see what you're saying, though. I often find a lot of similar items/brands dumped at once, but nothing as odd as this shirt.

The Boss was made in Turkey, so not as nice as the Italian or Swiss stuff, for sure. That being said, most of the Boss suits/jackets I see are unvented and not very detailed, so this was a step up for me. Still, I don't know if I'll bring myself to wear a pinstripe odd jacket.

Horsey jacket??? How did I miss that the first time? Also, my checking account thanks you that nothing you got is my size.

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

That is my second bedroom. I live alone and have a spare room, so it became the thrift inventory/photo shoot room.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

5. HansderHund

eBay...listed today, 4 watchers so far :)

Really weird. I usually just hit on certain brands at the same time and I just attribute it to the same donor or that I'm looking out for certain patterns or styles. An example is that about 2 weeks ago, I found a pair of B&L Ray-Ban Wayfarers. The following week I found a case for some B&L Ray-Ban Leathers. Yesterday, I found someone selling a few B&L Ray-Bans, including some mint Leathers with a case :confused:

The Turkish stuff may be recent (last 5 years based on my experience). We mentioned this a couple of days ago and I thought it might just be for the European market. We have more side vented OR unvented...very few with a single vent. I don't know if I'm the only one here that really doesn't mind ventless as I don't see it as dated. It gives one a nice silhouette when standing, which I am for most of the work day.

Lucky man. We only have one bedroom at the moment, so we have to make due. We really need a second bedroom for guests and as we assume we'll have our first child in the next couple of years. Until either of those happen, my wife feels we need a thrifting room. I'm beyond thrilled. As it stands, I box things and camouflage them accordingly. I'm curious to see what everyone has.

6. workthatwedo

workthatwedo Senior member

Made my first foray in Williamsburg. My brother grabbed two suits for himself (HSM and Daniel Cremieux which fit him perfectly without alterations). Also came across some bench made in England tassel loafers but I couldn't make out who the maker was. I did not kop because they needed a bit of TLC and I am not that into the tassel.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I flip them (normal pairs) all the time. I imagine those would turn a good profit.

8. HansderHund

I hope. I had a pair of low tops in blue that went unsold the first time around. The blue ones and these are both made in England and I've had a fair number of watchers, so hopefully I'll see something come of it!

The blue pair were a package deal that I bought with a pair of Austrian shoes that I wanted. I already sold those, so I really just wanted to break even on them.

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I am one of those that has few issues with ventless, it is single vents that are the problem for me. I have a few ventless jackets at home but have phased out most my single vented pieces. I just never did like the way a single vented jacket opens up at the back / looks while walking.

10. HansderHund

I'm not a huge fan for the same reasons. That being said, I still have a couple of single vented jackets. My ventless jackets outnumber them, but I always see people say "unfortunately it was unvented" and I understand that it may not be in style per se, but on a slim silhouette they really look nice. I have a double breasted jacket that is unvented and looks great. I feel a bit odd in a double vented jacket because I've caught myself in the mirror from the side perspective in one. I'm sure everyone looks similar, but it stands out more and makes your ass look like a box. I prefer side vents over single vents, though.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You asked for it. My main office, where the shoes and photo booth are, is 9x10 and then the closets of both our spare bedrooms contain the suits and SCs. I counted about 250 suit/sc today, 60 of which are Harris Tweeds waiting for a fall blowout.

This does not include the area where I polish shoes and ship packages. Once our bedroom remodel is complete, I am building a 15x25 office in the new addition above the garage.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Those NWT HF's are pretty recent and excellent quality pants. Did a proxy of them, still have a few left.

13. HansderHund

That's AWESOME. That was completely unexpected, but it's really cool Does your wife/girlfriend go along with it ok? Mine does, but we just don't currently have the space to host such a sport. Was it her recommendation to take over a second bedroom?? Really cool.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Well...My wife isn't 100% behind me, but she never complains about the extra cash.

15. HansderHund

Yeah. My wife asked what was in our (again, read:my :smarmy:) PayPal account and I told her. She goes "well, how much of that did you put in through buying?" I told her the exact number and she was impressed. The money is either going to her shopping adventure in America or towards a new car next month, so she's happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.