The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inq89

inq89 Senior member

Found a blue slim BB dress shirt (in my size too!) and a Faconnable "Designed in France, Made in USA" OCBD yesterday at Salvation for under $3 each.

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Whelp, I just found out the local Salvation Army Circuit is only putting stuff out on Tues/Thurs/Sat now due to a shortage of workers at the main processing center. Oh well - I hope there is still a decent amount of stuff being put out....

I also found out that the workers are taking a 25% paycut! Yikes!

3. creampiggy

creampiggy Senior member

A Gianfranca Ferre mainline suit grey with red/orange windowpane in US42. A Versace mainline suit, solid navy, in US42. An amazing grey bespoke suit by Eleganza Uomo, lots of hand work, with Vitale Barberis Canonico 160's fabric, probably in US46 or 48. Two pairs of Canali black wool trousers, W38" and two pairs of Canali Sport cotton pants, one black one dark blue, W36".

Everything above will be for trading. PM me for photos if you are interested.

Found a Zegna tweed jacket with 94% wool, 3% reindeer, 3% nylon, a nice tie, a T&A shirt with contrast collar and some other stuff for myself.

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

It's been bone dry around here lately. Ran into three Ben Silver OCBDs today that were freshly dry-cleaned but one had a big hole and the other two had collars that seemed pretty worn. Oh well [​IMG]

5. creampiggy

creampiggy Senior member

Since there is some interest, here are some photos. 1. Versace suit: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 2. Eleganza Uomo bespoke 160's suit: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Some rough measurements: Trousers: W37", L34" Jacket: Shoulder: 19" (?), Chest: 45", length 32.5"

6. identity-x

identity-x Senior member

nothing to brag about, really, but i'm DAMN excited. I know own my first pair of leather dress shoes. first. ever.

Florsheim Richfields in excellent condition from a thrift store located right smack in the middle of the "seedy" part of town. a thrift store that only allows those referred from a government agency to shop there on the first day they are open during the week.

cost...$1
    [​IMG]

7. Mexicorn

Mexicorn Senior member

Was really surprised to find a bunch of paul stuart shirts and hickey freeman suits at my podunk goodwill today. After a bit of sleuthing I realized a high profile philanthroper in the area just passed away....explains a lot.

I didn't get any of them, but if anyone is interested in what must be ~44S suits and 17.5/32 or so shirts let me know.

On a side note, I saw an absolutely hilarious 70's tan polyester suit with peak lapels & pleats on the jacket! I suddenly wish there were a 70's party in my future...

I wish I could find a picture of something similar, but the pleats on the jacket were unreal.

8. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Stopped into a Salvation Army on the way to a wedding this weekend and found a vintage Ronson Roto-Shine Magnetic shoe polishing kit in mint condition for $6. It looks like it had been used twice ... maybe. The kit is complete with the box, electric polisher and all the brushes and applicators, plus extra buffing cloths. I tested the polisher at the store and it works perfect. I'm pretty sure this is from the late 50's or early 60's. The insert/instruction sheet was printed in 1958.

Also, not a thrift find, but might as well have been. Hit the Hartmann factory outlet store. Picked up a chestnut tweed (discontinued) tote carry-on for $60 - retail $350.

9. identity-x

identity-x Senior member

Brioni suit. Double vented. Pants double pleated with a 1.5 inch cuff. Batteries on my camera ran out before I could snap more pics. cost = $20 Anybody have any idea what the MSRP on such a suit might be? This is the first suit I've ever owned. Seriously. Fits beautifully across the chest/shoulders, but need the sides brought in a bit and the trousers slimmed and hemmed a bit. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

Brioni suit. Double vented. Pants double pleated with a 1.5 inch cuff. Batteries on my camera ran out before I could snap more pics.

cost = $20

Anybody have any idea what the MSRP on such a suit might be?

This is the first suit I've ever owned. Seriously. Fits beautifully across the chest/shoulders, but need the sides brought in a bit and the trousers slimmed and hemmed a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Their current Super 150s suits are $5000+. That style of manufacturing tag isn't the most recent, but newer than the cloth tags.

11. 83glt

83glt Senior member

^Where are you located that you found such a score?

I was going to say that I've done alright in the past few days, but compared to that suit my finds are like scraps:

1. NWT Charvet tie
    2. Nicky Milano tie
    3. Prada tie
    4. Charvet shirt
    5. made in Italy Linen pants with handwork (no manufacturer's tag)

12. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Is a southwick suit worth it for £15?

13. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Score!

Hit 4 shops today and found absolutely nothing at the first three. There was a funky Oswald Boateng suit at one, but they wanted too much for it and it was kind of ugly to me.
    Then went to the last stop on the circuit. No shoes, no shirts, no suits, no jackets. All I could find was a T&A tie. I usually just skip the pants all together, or maybe give them a quick once over as it can be such a pain to look through them. Today, however, having not found anything but a tie, I thought I didn't have anything to lose by giving it a shot. Good thing I did as I found four (4) pairs of Luigi Borrelli trousers. All clearly from the same donor, and only one pair looking as though they'd even been worn. Nice handwork on all of them. One pair of burnt orange cords, one pair beige cords, one pair cotton khakis, one pair dark navy wool. All flat front and in my size and in near perfect condition. Lesson: never give up.

14. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Score!

Hit 4 shops today and found absolutely nothing at the first three. There was a funky Oswald Boateng suit at one, but they wanted too much for it and it was kind of ugly to me.
    Then went to the last stop on the circuit. No shoes, no shirts, no suits, no jackets. All I could find was a T&A tie. I usually just skip the pants all together, or maybe give them a quick once over as it can be such a pain to look through them. Today, however, having not found anything but a tie, I thought I didn't have anything to lose by giving it a shot. Good thing I did as I found four (4) pairs of Luigi Borrelli trousers. All clearly from the same donor, and only one pair looking as though they'd even been worn. Nice handwork on all of them. One pair of burnt orange cords, one pair beige cords, one pair cotton khakis, one pair dark navy wool. All flat front and in my size and in near perfect condition. Lesson: never give up.

NICE FIND!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Score!

Wow, nice finds! The lesson learned is a good one. It seems you and I have been doing the same thing - when the suits/jackets, shirts and tie racks have nothing, check out the trousers rack - they may yield that day's find. Usually I pass over the trousers without a second thought.

Thrifts suck around here, but I found a couple neat finds at the discount store yesterday. The suit was $2 and the blazer was $1 because of a small ink stain.

Bergdorf Goodman custom suit. Fairly recent. Very large, I'd est. a 50R. Tailored by some Italian name whose name slipped my mind at the moment. Will post it when I get home and look at it.

Cotton blazer from Boglioli's 'Coat' line. Fits me perfectly. NWOT, had a small ink stain. I got about 80% of the stain removed with a quick soak/scrub in distilled vinegar last night. I'll do a longer soak to try to remove the rest tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.