1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

repost

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

damn thrifting is serious business ... such cutthroat competition
    :hide:

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Seriously nice finds, dudes. Esp 330. I bought that EXACT Cucinelli off one of you awesome dudes a couple of months ago. It's seriously awesome.

In other news, I dislike the new format. Not just because I have to get used to it, because it's SLOW and unresponsive. It's like going from a BMW 335 stick shift to a Yugo.

Anyway, I hit a few stores today and found a bunch of nice "smalls":
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    L to R: hand rolled silk square, spoken for; Orvis scotch grain chucka,8D, spoken for; Ferragamo cordovan colored calf single monk plain toe wingtip, sooooo mine.
    [​IMG]
    All NWOT condition -- NOT a phrase I throw around a lot: Charvet, Ferragamo, Pink, Tyrwhitt x 2
    [​IMG]
    All NWOT (Starting from the blue glenplaid one) Tyrwhitt x 2, Ted Baker (tie in foreground is a Vineyard Vines kid size for my nephew)
    [​IMG]
    Paul Smith Made in Italy. Some fray but otherwise decent condition.

But my biggest news: We finally redeemed a crapload of credit card miles and got a 46" flatscreen TV, new sound system and blue ray. Stoked!

4. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

WOW! AMAZING HAUL!
    Your area should be super hot with all of the Federal $$$.
    Great photo of "the loop"

GMMcL -
    In other news, I dislike the new format. Not just because I have to get used to it, because it's SLOW and unresponsive.

+1 - it seems slow to load to me as well, must be all of the ads that they have added to each page. . .

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

Ads? I never see ads. Adblock. Get it.

The new site seems faster for me, but it's been terribly slow lately. Dunno why it's slower for y'all.

6. tben

tben Senior member

330ck man you always kill it! Gmmcl, I like the latter two CT ties, very cool. Nice finds all around!

Hit a store, came up with this stuff. Back to work = 0 thrift time.

Zanella not -pleated, Zanella double-pleated, Theory (thought they were interesting)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bills cords on the top, PRL on the bottom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't usually pick up BB, but these are really nice.
    x2 BB custom order
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought this would work for me but the arms are a little too long so it is available if anyone is interested. Has an emblem on the left chest but it is pretty ornate.
    PRL 15.5-35 mop buttons like one of those luxury shirts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 roll 2 Custom Harris Tweed - Fits around a 40-41ish if anyone is interested, it is available.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

Rocky Mountain Feather Bed found in a thrift is amazing, Acronym found in a thrift is on another level. Congrats to the both of you.

8. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

Nice vinyl finds (and artwork)! That Michael Jackson is crazy to find in unworn shape. Wouldn't know what to do if I found it; would want to throw a vinyl party immediately, but then would feel guilty playing it.
    +1 Never found a Monk album in the wild.

9. troika

troika Senior member

They're completely badass but still out of my price range at the moment unfortunately. Love those beef rolls too. Awesome color.
    Also I'm sorry for the delay but I promise that I will get back to everyone who PM'd me. Crazy busy weekend but I will try to answer ASAP.

10. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

Hey all - I've been reading this for the past week or so and finally joined in. Been thrifting steadily down around Arizona for the past year. We don't seem to get as much recent stuff as you guys, and I've never seen a Kiton in a store. Just two Brioni's and a handful of Oxxfords as well as a reasonable amount of Hickey Freeman, Canali and such, but they tend to be a bit more vintage.

Not positive I've figured out the protocol for pictures, so I'll go conservative and put everything in the "spoiler" features.

Picked up 10 Nordstrom coats/suits today for about $1.50 each (Abboud, Hart Schaffner Marx 1887, Gold Trumpeter, etc...) - likely flip on ebay.

Found my first Oxxford suit today in a 43L - just a touch small around the waist for me. It was only $8, so it may be worth tailoring. Pilling a little, so maybe not...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snagged a couple of Hickey Freeman Loro Piana Super 120s - one in a suit and another in just an orphan, both in the 44-46L range. The coat was remarkably more recent!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't usually go through ties, but found a few interesting ones today. Who can say no when they are 50 cents to a buck?

Some Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers ties. Two of the Brooks Brothers appear to be fairly recent - which makes me less familiar with them. They appear to have the new Black Fleece logo on them (in gold, so maybe gold fleece now has that logo too?) I need to do some research because I didn't think the ties went Gold or Black Fleece...

[​IMG]

A few more ties: Zegna, Fendi, newer Giorgio Armani, Facconable

[​IMG]

And picked up a few shirts too. Bullock & Jones in a Cashmere/Cotton blend, Robert Talbott, and Enzo. The Enzo is a beast at 18 1/2 / 36" and will likely head to ebay.

[​IMG]

All in all, not a bad day. Look forward to any comments and what you all have found. If I broke protocol in any way, I'm sure someone will let me know. :)

Later,
    - sn0wman

11. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

12. yossi

yossi Well-Known Member

Nice haul, 330CK.

Oxxford notch-lapel tux with some serious nicks and a moth-hole: still worth picking up?

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

No

15. yossi

yossi Well-Known Member

^^Noted, thanks.

Posted that 5 minutes after Dm7 ransacked a Pacific Palisades mansion while the family cowered in the safe room, so didn't expect much of a reply..

Nice haul, obviously. Jesus.

16. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

I have the exact same (looking) pair but from sebago. Blue with white stitching, Half leather heel, leather sole.

I think I got them for like $40 new on amazon about a year ago

17. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

If you wonder why you don't find anything, that's why.

At the fifth Charvet shirt, my eyes started to glaze over and I started shaking my head denying that life was real.

I can't see much of that pink Charvet and yet I know I WANT.

(Oh, and those white Guccis are an absolute abomination)

18. 2010Greek

2010Greek Well-Known Member

19. grendel

grendel Senior member

Sebago also makes wingtips, but I like Aldens a lot more. Hand stitched Chromexcel moccasin construction is substantially better.

20. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Geez Matt, leave some for the little guys. haha. No wonder I didnt find anything today

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.