• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E. Zegna "Taglio Exclusivo" made in Switzerland - better or not better than plain ol' Italian-made Zegna? Only 2 items on the bay and nothing sold - can't tell by that if it's worthwhile.

EDIT: disregard...I had been using the search box at the top of the page which searches the entire site, and just now realized there is a little "search this forum", which I used since I did recall someone asking about Zegna lines a while back.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in school that day. I can still recall it.

jfk-shot-431x300.jpg

Mox C

Reaction score
I've picked up several Harris Tweeds since I started thrifting a couple months ago, but this is easily my favorite. The quick snapshots don't do it justice.

It's too small for me, blast it all. I haven't measured it yet; maybe a 36-38. (I'll measure if someone is interested.)

I'm also still working on the basics, so have been keeping an eye out for a pair of grey wool trousers. I was quite happy to come across these. There are no tags as to brand/size/material, but based on the construction, I'm assuming these are a nice find. The one tag on the pocket has a name and date, so my guess is that they are custom of some sort (MTM, bespoke). I'm stoked that these fit me as if they were made for me, at least as far as my limited experience can tell.

Oh, and mid-40's here (age).

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Corn on the cob from the end of last week. First time pairing up orphans in-store, that was sweet. Let me know if it "tickles your teak" the right way, because if not, I think it'll be taking a trip back to the shop before Friday.

Black pinstripe, 2 button, dual vents. Pleated pants.

Pick stitching galore.

You know me and my buttons / button holes.

Coat tag

Small spot, should be easy to remove.

Not quite sure about whats going on with the stitches in the lining there below the collar. Ideas?

Approx. Measurements:
Coat
Chest- 21.25
Waist- 19.75
Shoulder- 19.25
Length- 30.75
Sleeve- 25 plus feels like about 2 inches in the sleeve, so about 1 more it can be lengthened

Pants
Waist- 33
Inseem- 29 plus 2

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also Buddy Rich. And Ray Charles. And B.B. King (who is still around). My late grandmother was a jazz fiend and considered it her moral obligation to make sure I saw everyone worth seeing. The best was Ella Fitzgerald on Mother's Day in 1985--she (Ella, not my grandmother) was slowing down and lost a leg to diabetes not long afterward. Had to be helped off the stage after a performance that didn't last nearly long enough, but my: When the inevitable best-show-I-ever-saw discussion starts, that one is head and shoulders. She could still hit every note, and her Satchmo impression was spot on.

Last edited:

Ebonyman

Reaction score
I hope this is an appropriate post for this thread. I picked up this awesome SC by David Chu today (picked up another last week but didn't post) at Daffy's. The retail sticker (not Daffy's price tag) on it says $895. Daffy's super discount price..... $69.99!

frenchytoo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Also Buddy Rich. And Ray Charles. And B.B. King (who is still around). My late grandmother was a jazz fiend and considered it her moral obligation to make sure I saw everyone worth seeing. The best was Ella Fitzgerald on Mother's Day in 1985--she (Ella, not my grandmother) was slowing down and lost a leg to diabetes not long afterward. Had to be helped off the stage after a performance that didn't last nearly long enough, but my: When the inevitable best-show-I-ever-saw discussion starts, that one is head and shoulders. She could still hit every note, and her Satchmo impression was spot on.

Last edited:

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a long time since I've posted - new job has left me very little time to thrift. Eff it's been slow. Here's what I've picked up these last few weeks:

Alden - Burgundy calfskin. My first Aldens! 11C. Definitely need to be resoled, but the upper is in very decent shape. Available.

Oxxford pants. My first Oxxford! 36x34. Olive/khaki cotton. Available.

Peter Blair (Richmond, VA) bow tie. Great shape. Available.

PRL madras tie. Available.

Can I get an authenticity check? The "Hecho en Francia" is throwing me off. MOP buttons and everything else looks correct. Available if authentic.

J.McLaughlin tie. Red with black skulls. Not available.

Very recent BB tie. I usually leave BB ties, but it's next to new and damn versatile. Not Available.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OT: ya'll are young'uns. i've interviewed bb king, muddy waters, ernest tubb AND ella fitzgerald. and a lot more i can't remember. that's how old i am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads