Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Just picked up an amazing Zegna 15 mil mil 15 Sport coat today (it feels like pure Cashmere). I would keep it but it is a size 50 L [​IMG] So it will soon be making its way to the Buy/Sell Section.

I have a quick question about the 15 milmil 15 line, why is it sometime the cloth feels like Pure Cashmere (like this one) and other times it feel like regular wool cloth?

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Just picked up an amazing Zegna 15 mil mil 15 Sport coat today (it feels like pure Cashmere). I would keep it but it is a size 50 L [​IMG] So it will soon be making its way to the Buy/Sell Section.

I have a quick question about the 15 milmil 15 line, why is it sometime the cloth feels like Pure Cashmere (like this one) and other times it feel like regular wool cloth?

I might be interested in that jacket. Do you have pics?

3. Georgia

Georgia Senior member

It's been pretty slow on the thrifting front - haven't found a single thing for myself in well over a month. I found (and passed on) two Stephens Bros shirts yesterday, but the quality just wasn't there, though they looked to be about $100-$150 shirts.

It's been that way for me, too...I haven't found much, and the stuff I have considered has been low quality as well.

I went today and had some luck - a NWT BB tie, and a new pair of Bills Khakis M1s that were hemmed (probably) too short for the original owner - luckily he was a tall dude...they worked perfectly for me.

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I saw a new sign on the door of goodwill that said something to the effect of, " no goodwill employee's shopping allowed" or something like that.

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

I saw a new sign on the door of goodwill that said something to the effect of, " no goodwill employee's shopping allowed" or something like that.
    Hey I saw that sign on the front door of my Goodwill in Herndon, too! Must be a company-wide policy... said Goodwill employees had to shop at other Goodwills... and did not get first dibs om merchandise, etc.

6. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

It's been pretty slow on the thrifting front - haven't found a single thing for myself in well over a month. I found (and passed on) two Stephens Bros shirts yesterday, but the quality just wasn't there, though they looked to be about $100-$150 shirts.

Slow for me too.... a nice Thomas Pink dress shirt and a Brooks Brothers tie... but no real scores.

7. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

Hey I saw that sign on the front door of my Goodwill in Herndon, too! Must be a company-wide policy... said Goodwill employees had to shop at other Goodwills... and did not get first dibs om merchandise, etc.
    Same policy in Canada.
    Employess 'officialy' can shop at a location other than the one they work at.

Then again, all they have to do is fill their pockets.
    And where I live, fill their pockets they do [​IMG]

I am on the 'No Purchase May' club, so I'm not allowed to spend for a few days more.
    I did see a gorgeous Zegna suit last week
    BUT....
    (WARNING....stop reading NOW if you are eating)
    the pants of the suit had a dried up massive load of,
    shall we say, 'flour & water' on the front.

8. chrome_dout

chrome_dout Senior member

Technically not a Thrift store find, but I did pick up a nice navy blue Bobby Jones safari style jacket from the Hickey Freeman outlet. Retail 495, marked down to 30 + tax. [​IMG]

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I haven't noticed this at the Goodwills are here yet, but probably because I wasn't looking. They've had this rule forever, but I don't think it was really ever enforced. We had the same rule at the Salvation Army where I used to work. My old manager said "well, you guys all get paid minimum wage, so the jobs gotta have some benefits". She'd take stuff home by the box-load. Somehow she's still there.....

10. backboard60

backboard60 Senior member

Picked up a Lord & Taylor and Christian Dior Tie for about $2 each...looks pretty identical but nevertheless pristine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Went on a bit of a thrifting binge today, hitting about 6 different stores. I came across a wonderful Oxxford suit and an even better Chester Barrie suit. Unfortunately for me, the pants of both the suits had evidence of pretty severe "accidents". What a shame. I thought about grabbing the jackets, but neither would have worked as sportjackets. So I just left them....

I did find some more great stuff though:

1) Kiton tie - $5
    2) Charvest tie - $5
    3) Hilditch & Key tie - $5
    4) 2 Ben Silver ties - $5 each
    5) Vintage Norman Hilton for Abercrombie & Fitch (these are really old) wool shorts - $5
    6) Vintage Kilgour French & Stanbury suit jacket (it's a heavy grey flannel but I grabbed it anyway as it was the real deal - inner pocket tag indicates it was made for a Mr. Kelley and is dated 1.8.69 - address is Dover St. London) - $12

12. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

I've had good luck with ties. Picked up 7 ties on Saturday
    1 Aquascutum
    1 Bullock & Jones
    2 Polo RL
    3 BB Makers

Tonight I found a Richel that still has the tags and a Paul Stuart

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Discovered a new untapped resource today where you wouldn't expect to look for high end clothes.

$3 each:

Recent Etro striped button-down

3 recent Thomas Pink french cuff shirts

A blue shirt that looks to be of really good quality, but I can't tell the maker. The tag looks like a lower-case cursive f with a with a smaller upper-case print G next to it, and the word Roma along the bottom. Has side gussets and thick mother of pearl buttons.

14. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

1 Corneliani shirt, nice white with blue stripes
    1 Borrelli blue basic w/ FC, basically new
    2 BB Golden Fleece shirts (I really like these not tent like very nice fabrics and great MOP buttons) NWOT
    1 Newer Zegna suit

Did not pick up
    10 or so Zegna shirts
    1 Cifonelli shirt, never seen one of these before.

15. creampiggy

creampiggy Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.