1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Picked up a Filson waxed cotton jacket and moleskin liner. I think its their Foul Weather coat. Size L. Available.

Major regrets on passing up a Ferragamo double breasted cashmere overcoat today. They had it priced higher than anything I've ever seen in this store (where I thrifted my NWOB, $2 Lobbs), but it was half price day and I could have had it for $50. I'm going back tomorrow and see if they'll still consider letting me have it for that price (or maybe less).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. troika

troika Senior member

Everybody welcome my boy here from TX. He's a good kid and this is certainly an awesome first find for the thread.

And while these ties aren't available, feel confident in trading with him.

3. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

sup guys
    had a day of 100% passes have a few q's though
    are hurcules full length shop coats, pleated zanellas (non unicorn) or brandini worth a pick up? also wtf is H. freeman and sons? is that some sort of wack hickey? also michael michael kors blazer was a good pass?
    saw this cool as leather briefcase though but it had no branding can proxy they wanteed $24

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Just found the pants, complete Helmut Lang suit copped as well as a plaid Dries peak lapel unstructured sc. But damnit, I was looping for Kiton.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Foquin noice :nodding:

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Just pulled two Harris Tweed coats from the 1930s! Crazy... Also pulled a couple of nice dress shoes (one made in England no label) and the other is Fratelli Rossetti (shell cordavan I think), and a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves. Pics later...

7. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Thanks - do you mind telling me where you were? I might just put in an order with Suddenlee if there are any left in NYC. And was the $30 a pair the full price, or were you using some kind of coupon? Thanks.

8. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Philadelphia maker of good quality suits and jackets with no connection to Hickey-Freeman. Usually canvassed and, if not outdated, worth picking up for yourself. Limited flippabilty though.

9. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Brandini is a no, pleated Zanellas are hit/miss (I've sold some, but I've also had a pair listed for months, granted I took shit pics and I'm too lazy to take new ones), pretty sure Brandini is shit as well as Michael by Michael Kors, H. Freeman and Sons was a Philadelphia maker that went out of business in the last 10 years or so. It isn't Hickey Freeman but it is still good quality, good for yourself or for trade but I don't think it is flippable. Edit - "It isn't Hickey Freeman" doesn't mean "It's no Hickey Freeman," it just means they're not the same brand/maker.

10. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

[​IMG]

Haven't shared anything in awhile, a few recent goodies.

I sold that Kato AAA for $120 cash money on the street, felt super weird but whatever. I figured that it was going to be a long time before I get my hands on another selvage shirt from the thrift stores, but on my way home:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

to top it off, I'd been thinking about picking up this season's engineered garments CPO but was balking at the price, and found this for those of you into vintage/military:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Benjamin Bixby Cotton/Linen Safari coat - fits like a 42 drop 9-10.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice summer plaid Lorenzini linen. I tend to pass on Lorenzinis a lot of the time unless they're in pristine, untouched condition, as I've had a lot of duds flipping. I couldn't resist this one though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other than that it seems like Chicagoans have used the end of the year tax incentive to dump their 20 year old heavily padded double breasted non vented Italian suits & EZ soft synthetic shirts.

11. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Ooooh, Sizzle, that ivy/leaf Charvet is awesome.

12. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Thanks, guys. I was pretty stoked.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

There is a connection. They were from the same family, but the companies were completely separate.

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Vintage Hercules? If so, definitely grab them.

:slayer:

Waiting on pics. Sounds amazing!

15. troika

troika Senior member

Does any one like Neapolotan? Roped shoulders? Patch pockets? Unlined? MOPs?

16. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

17. tben

tben Senior member

They did??
    [​IMG]

18. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

True, but my dry cleaner has been charging me $12 or $13 for slimmyfying a shirt. At that price, I've been leaving a lot of 16.5 tent city shirts. I just buy 16.5 slim fit shirts now. Shirts here range from $5-8 (thrift prices). I think you, me and lastdon are in the same boat neckwise. I would rather spend $20 or so on a suit rather than slimming a basic dress shirt. Unless a borelli magically appears....

19. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

20. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

WTF YOU FOUND BIXBY!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.