• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, with that, a quick question: Are you saying that when fall arrives, the "fall clothes" donations improve? Intuitively, one might deduce the opposite — that people would schluff off their unwanted summer dreck to make way for new fall clothes. So how does seasonality really work with thrifts?

Randy

What are you, new? Yes, you must have much little experience, at least if you are hunting the same grounds as me.

Here's the deal: A lot of thrift stores operate on a seasonal basis, which is to say, they put out stuff they deem summer stuff when it is summer and put out fall stuff after Labor Day. They do have warehouses, you know.

You can deduce the opposite if you like. Good luck.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, with that, a quick question: Are you saying that when fall arrives, the "fall clothes" donations improve? Intuitively, one might deduce the opposite — that people would schluff off their unwanted summer dreck to make way for new fall clothes. So how does seasonality really work with thrifts?

Randy

All the comments about what the management holds back and puts out are accurate. You however are thinking about what gets donated. I think where you're wrong about it is that people don't notice that they've outgrown their fall clothes until fall. That at least plays into it.

My thrifts definitely don't work on the same sort of seasonal retail schedule as standard retail. For example, I picked up a PRL Shawl collar sweater that didn't look like it had been worn much if at all. It was in the "men's bin" so was $1.49. Tailored stuff doesn't end up in the bin, but the total rack space gets reduced. A smaller GW I go to (EazyE knows the one) has reduced their tailored clothing to about 3 feet. It will be much better in the fall.

Almost got some Incotex trousers, but apparently I've outgrown them :cloud: (They needed washing, and I wasn't sure it would all come out or else I'd have picked them up for someone here.) A single sweater, in August, counts as a dry day.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Seeing as it's slow (here as well), I thought I'd give you my own basic guidelines for bringing things home (for myself). I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds great things, or at least great prices, and considers whether to bring them home. I found that I brought a lot more home if I didn't have a some sort of self-imposed guidelines. When I find something, I think...

- Do I already have one of these? If I do, is it better?
- Can I replace something I have with what I just found?
- How long is it going to last in this condition?
- How much will it cost to tailor?
- How many times do I think I'll actually wear it?
- If I leave it behind, is there a good chance I can find another one or a better one?

I literally go through this list every time I want to grab something. I really don't have the extra space to store a lot and I'd rather not be at maximum capacity. It really prevents me from bringing home something I'll wear one time for fun and never again. It also keeps me from bringing something home that won't get tailored. Any decent piece of clothing I buy needs some sort of tailoring, so a nice jacket that only costs €10 will actually cost €30-40 at least once I've had it tailored. Would I still buy it if the price tag said €40? Probably not.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like without. The wood looks cheesy.

Also, doesn't this belong in the new other thread ;)

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score

All the comments about what the management holds back and puts out are accurate. You however are thinking about what gets donated. I think where you're wrong about it is that people don't notice that they've outgrown their fall clothes until fall. That at least plays into it.
My thrifts definitely don't work on the same sort of seasonal retail schedule as standard retail. For example, I picked up a PRL Shawl collar sweater that didn't look like it had been worn much if at all. It was in the "men's bin" so was $1.49. Tailored stuff doesn't end up in the bin, but the total rack space gets reduced. A smaller GW I go to (EazyE knows the one) has reduced their tailored clothing to about 3 feet. It will be much better in the fall.
Almost got some Incotex trousers, but apparently I've outgrown them :cloud: (They needed washing, and I wasn't sure it would all come out or else I'd have picked them up for someone here.) A single sweater, in August, counts as a dry day.

Thanks, Mike, looking forward to fall! :)

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I estimate there is at least 45 inches of dick barely being contained by the pants of these two internet toughguys.

Much appreciated. I deduce you're a bit of a schmuck, albeit one with a higher than average IQ. Thanks for the lesson! Makes sense.

Bit of a schmuck? Bring it. Asshole.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
I estimate there is at least 45 inches of dick barely being contained by the pants of these two internet toughguys.
Quote: Forgot the "." Andro
fing02[1].gif

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
So had a bunch of shirts that needed some cleaning and finally got time to post them up.

Thomas Pink French Cuff Pink Dress Shirt
Size: Tagged 15.5 (See Measurements)
Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 22"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 18.75"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 26.25"
Excellent Thomas Pink Quality
Split Back Yoke
French Cuffs
Cufflinks NOT Included

Zegna "Summer" Orange Check Dress Shirt
Size: Tagged Large (See Measurements)
Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 23.75"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 20.5"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 26.25"
High Quality
Hidden Button Down Collar
MOP Buttons
Perfect for Summer

Brooks Brothers Blue Stripe Slim Fit Non Iron French Cuff
Size: Tagged 17-35 (See Measurements)
Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 25.25"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 20"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 25.5"
100% Cotton
SLIM FIT
Non-Iron
French Cuff
Contrast Collar and Cuffs
Cufflinks NOT Included

Canali Gray Stripe Dress Shirt
Size: Tagged 43|17 (See Measurements)
Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 25.5"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 22.5"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 25.75"
Excellent Canali Quality

Borrelli White w/ Blue Check Dress Shirt
Size: Tagged 17.5|44(See Measurements)
Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 27"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 22.5"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 25.5"
Amazing Quality
Hand Tailoring
Reinforced Gussets

John Varvatos Mainline Multicolor Stripe Mens Dress Shirt
Size: Tagged Extra Extra Large (See Measurements)
Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 25.25"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 20.75"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 26.125"
Tiny spot on very bottom
Great John Varvatos quality
Nice buttons
Double button cuff
Reinforced gussets

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads